T&G Flooring over concrete

Started by gandalfthegrey, March 14, 2008, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandalfthegrey

I need some info (advice) on putting T&G flooring over a concrete base.  In my existing house (20 years old) my wife now wants to put wood flooring in place of the carpet we now have.  LR, DR, Hall and master BR. 

We reciently looked at T&G on sale at the local Costco, it was wood with padding attached, locks in so no need for glue. Thought it was time to take the plunge.

My question(s) are should I put down a MVP sheeting prior to installing directly on the concrete?  And does anyone have experience putting T&G directly on bare concrete?
Bad Wolf

MountainDon

Real solid wood or the laminate stuff?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

If it snaps together than most likely it is a engineered product with a hardwood veneer.  If it has the padding then that would eliminate the need for underlayment pad which is some cases cost almost as much as the flooring itself.  You still need a Moisture barrier.  I just use 6mil plastic. Make sure that if it is seamed that the seam is taped.  I am not sure whether a insulated concrete floor requires additional Moisture shield or not. Others who live in an area where slabs are used more frequently can probably advise.

gandalfthegrey

Laminate - I am not sure which brand.  Hardwood flooring.  I figured I would need 6 mil moiture protection.  I looked for it at Lowe's and found it was reasonably priced.  $6 for 3' X 33.3'  .  Looks like we can go for it.  As we replaced carpet with tile in the baths and put tile floor in hitchen.  This should be a lot easier.

Thank  you
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

gandalfthegrey I'm not real sure what product you are talking about. The clear plastic 6mil that I purchase is usuall 12'X 50-100' roll. The 3'X 33.3' sounds like the foam underlayment.  The plastic should be more than $12-15 for the roll.

gandalfthegrey

There are probably others out there. (Lowes,   Hemet) I only saw one roll in with the laminate flooring my wife asked for the quanity on the roll, it was 3 feet wide and 33.3 feet in length.  Only one I saw at the time.  I will be going to another Lowes next weekend in another town south of us.  (Temecula) I usually have more luck finding what I need at that store. 

Thanks for the responces.
Bad Wolf

MountainDon

At my Home Depot store I usually find the assorted roll polyethylene material in the paint department. Never looked for that product at Lowe's.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

gandalfthegrey I just happened to go to a Lowes today and found tht the plastic 6 mil had increased.  So had everything else I was needing.  But I found 6 mil 10'X25' roll for $23.42.  That was the price I paid for a 12' X 100' a couple years ago( about $70 now).  You will find it in the lumber department as it is construction grade.  Most of the plastic in the paint dept is 4mil and less.  But sonce it is a petroleum derivitive product? Then I guess it is par for the course. But there was some good buys in bulk that I got.  Sometimes it pays to buy a little more quanity for the price of "just what I need".

gandalfthegrey

Thank you,

I am planning a trip to Lowe's and Costco soon and will check this out..
Bad Wolf

Garrett In Tahoe

You said your replacing the carpet with a laminate wood floor? Chances are you already have a vapor barrier or your carpet would have been destroyed. Normally all slabs at living spaces are poured over a 6 mil Visqueen vapor barrier. If you do decide on installing another for added protection and peace of mind, then try to install it as one large sheet. Using narrow strips creates a lot of laps which can defeat the purpose, so at least tape your joints. I like adding a foam pad as well. It does add cost but it helps to level an unforgiving surface that may have minor ridges and dips and it also helps to deaden the sound when you walk on it. Check the manufacturers recommendation for installation.

gandalfthegrey

Garrett,

Thanks for the additional advice.  There is none under the carpet as I have removed some in the baths and entry and replaced with tile and slate in those areas.  I did not see anything about it in my plan sheets. ( I have a copy left by the contractor that built the house. (that was 20 years ago) I don't tend to through anything like that out.  It is stored in my office with other papers pertaining to the house. 

I will be installing a 6 mill barrier when I put in the flooring.  It has built in padding, so I won't need to go that route.

John
Bad Wolf