Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

I have three sets of these desks.  One is the primary/smallest size with two in a row, one the largest size, with three and another of the large size with two.
There are a lot of country schools left in Nebraska.  You see the desks show up in auctions on a somewhat regular basis still...

However, once I was TEACHING in a one-room country school, in the mid 90s, they used the same type of school desks as their counterparts in town.  ;)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

freezengirl

I was tired and grumpy today after a long morning weeding a community garden spot hoping the rain would hold off so I could work on my own. No luck with the weather, so thought I would lurk around the forum again for inspiration. I am so glad I happened onto this thread again! All of you are so helpfull and inspiring and generous in your posts, pictures and commentary.  [cool] Come on rain!

pmichelsen

Here is a picture to show what my bench above is looking at. I added the new back stops in April and put the pins in over Memorial Day weekend. The steel for the back stops was again some stuff I had laying around and is way too burly for that application (it's either 1/4" wall or 3/8" wall). And the steel for the pins was some stuff my buddy had "laying" around in his machine shop ;), I machined the ends to have a nice rounded finish. The backstops go down about three feet and the pins are down four feet at a perfect 80 degrees, I had to build a jig to hold them while the concrete setup. The last two things will be to pour throwing pads on either side of the pins and then to find some lights and run electrical. If you couldn't tell, we really like to play horseshoes.... ;D, oh and don't worry those carriage bolts will be cut off as soon as I order some acorn nuts.

Texas Tornado

Cool ladder stairs I ran across at some site...

Redoverfarm

Here is a bench I made for my cabin.  I know some here do not actually dwell in all aspects of the forum so in case you don't check out the Owner Builders thought you might like to see a little Applachain Craftmanship.  The demensions and details are contained @ http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.msg144355#msg144355

PEG688

TV / media cabinet I'm finishing up on,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

carroll

javascript:void(0);  I lurk here a LOT, and I just wanted to say that these forums (and Backyardchickens, I must confess) keep me up WAAAYY too late at night a lot of time!

Y'all do really beautiful work -- I love the idea of people taking pride in and caring about what they do, and therefore doing it well!

Thanks -- and perhaps before I get too old to want to do the heavy physical labor, maybe I'll win the lottery and be able to buy my own land and build a cabin -- and some home accessories to go in it. 

Oh, wait -- that would mean I'd need to learn how to be a real(ly) good carpenter -- probably not in this lifetime (late 50's)!  (Not to mention the lotto part . . . .)

But I certainly enjoy seeing the pieces all of y'all have made!  Just wanted to let you know that other people do read and enjoy the the pictures (I know it's an effort to get on a computer and post, so wanted to tell you that it's definitely appreciated . . . .)

:)  ;D  ::)  [cool]   (I thought the "DUHH" icon was someone tipping their hat at first -- glad y'all have the caption -- I thought it was a bit fast for hat tipping . . . . hee, hee!)

carroll 
:)

Jens

nice work on the table redover!  Peg...beautiful as always.  The work that is.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

I forgot to add the finished photo's of the TV cabinet.

The last challenge was finding a skeleton key  door / drawer pull , I searched for days on and off , finally I found one,

I should have book marked the vendor. 

Thanks for looking. PEG

MountainDon

Looks like some nice homes there and you make them even nicer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Quote from: PEG688 on January 08, 2012, 10:47:02 PM
  I forgot to add the finished photo's of the TV cabinet.

Nice stuff Peg!!

What I would give to be a apprentice in your shop ;D

The last challenge was finding a skeleton key  door / drawer pull , I searched for days on and off , finally I found one,

I should have book marked the vendor. 

Thanks for looking. PEG
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

PEG688

rick91351

My grandson Christian Howington came over today and we made a blue bird house.  We have been planing this for about a year.  We just never have had time together to get it done.  I was in the wood shop when he came in, so I put my current project aside and we knocked it out.  We had to figure out the slope of the roof and best materials to use.  Grandpa did make a mistake measuring for the front door so we redid that. 

Our mountain property is located on what has been advertised as the Blue Bird Trail.  There must be over a hundred nest boxes scattered through the area.  The plans are specific to blue birds however house wrens and such also nest in them.  The boy scouts and other youth groups and well as civic groups have made these in the past.  There is an older gentleman that bands and tracks the blue birds via a spread sheet.  That is where I received the plans.  The front uses a couple nails for hinges at the top and couple downward slant drilled nails for latches at the bottom.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

PEG688

MikeOnBike

Quote from: rick91351 on February 04, 2012, 10:29:11 PM
There is an older gentleman that bands and tracks the blue birds via a spread sheet.  That is where I received the plans.  The front uses a couple nails for hinges at the top and couple downward slant drilled nails for latches at the bottom.

Great project Rick.  I have some nice cedar pickets set aside to do the very same thing with my grandkids.  I think that same 'older gentleman' is responsible for all the bluebird houses on the scenic byway near our place.  I want to add  several birdhouses across our property.  We have water and insects so that should be a good draw.

I have the Forest Service link for birdhouse plans.  Do you have contact or plans information for that 'gentleman'?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnf/about-forest/districts/?cid=fsbdev3_029514

rick91351

That is a great link and the same plans.  Thanks I was looking for them. 

I do have his address and phone.  I will PM you this evening.  Last I chatted with him he was not driving, a lady was.  Then last fall Ellen said it was a couple people she had never seen before cleaning out the nest boxes.  So I am sort of wondering myself if he is okay and who will take over the banding and recording.

He told me though don't get them to close together like a quarter mile works good.  I guess the dainty little critters are very territoriality and have a bad temper!     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

In an effort to clean out my outbuilding I ran across this dresser that I had bought at an estate auction several years ago.  I moved it into my shop for a wintertime project.  What struck me was the joint made in the drawer front. I hadn't seen this before.  Most are dovetail. 

Here is the complete dresser and mirror.  Looks like I will have to replace the mirror as the silver backing is coming off.

Don & Ginger Lundgren

I did some digging as I thought I had seen this type of joinery once before myself at an antique shop and wondered what it was. It turns out to be Knapp joint and was developed to hasten production. It does have a cool look to it I think.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don & Ginger Lundgren on October 22, 2012, 02:47:06 PM
I did some digging as I thought I had seen this type of joinery once before myself at an antique shop and wondered what it was. It turns out to be Knapp joint and was developed to hasten production. It does have a cool look to it I think.

Thanks for the research. I'm like you a rather cool joint.

jaransont3

New guy here.  Thought I would share my latest project for our small cabin in Minnesota.

I just finished restoring/customizing a light fixture for the cabin porch. Started with an old fixture (wish I had remembered to take a before picture) with way too many coats of paint.  Removed the glass and the design elements in each of the 3 panels with my cut-off wheel.  Then I ground the paint off, sandblasted it, and powdercoated it all nice new shiny black.  Then I waterjet cut some new copper cattail inserts for the 3 sides, had some new glass cut and made a bracket for a new bulb socket. Assembled and wired it all up. 

Will look really nice on the porch.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

DaveOrr

Well I'm no Peg but here's my little attempt at an entertainment unit/curio cabinet I made for my fols about 15 years ago.

Somewhere I have pictures of some other projects but have no idea where.   ???
On that turned out really nice was a solid pine aromatic cedar lined blanket trunk I built for a Ducks Unlimited dinner.
I was blown away when it went for nearly $1100!!!!    :)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

jaransont3

I finished the dining table for the cabin yesterday.  I still have to finish the leaf, but the main table is done.

3 or 4 coats of polyurethane over the gunstock stain. 

We are very happy with the way it turned out.  Now I can get back to sanding. staining, assembling, and finishing the two matching chairs.
John Jaranson

Carla_M

What a great looking table! I love it, you must be proud!

My only problem would be I'd fold the sides and I'd have the extra leaf in all the time so I'd have lots of horizontal space to fill with stuff.   ;)
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

jaransont3

Thanks I am very happy with the way the table turned out.  I am still working on the matching chairs for it. 

However I took a break from those to build a couple of Adirondack Chairs and a side table for the cabin.  Built from rough sawn cedar planks that I planed down.

Can't wait to get them up to the cabin over the 4th of July week.
John Jaranson

akwoodchuck

In wintertime I like to make odds and ends out of scrap off job sites.....

A rocking moose for my youngest girl, 3/4" superply:

A pine sleigh crib for my oldest:

A cedar-lined hemlock blanket chest:

Maple and jatoba letter-writing box:

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."