Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

Another uh-oh story, related to flooring. Another contractor and family friend growing up decided that he would put down the subfloor then immediately put down the unfinished oak flooring over the entire deck, build the walls and get it all under roof quickly, thereby saving the time involved in laying the oak room by room. Yup it rained on it. The walls ended up laying in the yard when the oak expanded and carried them right off the deck. A couple of percent doesn't sound like much movement until you think that 100" is roughly 8' and a floor can easily be 3 times that wide, if it gets saturated and has nowhere to go that couple of percent is several inches. He allowed that he would not be doing that again   d*.

Cowboy Billy

Wow what a lot of great work here!

I am not a wood worker and am just playing around and learning. But I had a lot of fun building this. I like the rustic look and wanted to try out some ideas I have been having.

I built these shelves last summer. I picked out a big white cedar cut three sides off. Then I cut my shelves out of it leaving the live edge for the outside edge and peeled the bark off. I also made a cedar slab big enough to be the end piece and peeled it. The shelves were too big to go through my 12" planer and there was no way to plane the slab. Since I was in a hurry to get it up I put it together rough cut.

Between Christmas and New Years. I finally got around to sanding it out and painting it. There has got to be a better way to sand it out than using a palm sander! I spent over three days sanding it out to where I could clear cote it. I used a water base polyurethane satin finish for the first time. I don't think its gives as deep as a finish as oil base but its a lot nicer to work with and no smell or fumes. And I will be using it again.

Billy

Redoverfarm

Nice job. Reminds me of the set of stairs I did at the cabin.

Sassy

Looks great!  I know what you mean about the sanding - we have a lot of shelves like that & I have to use a hand sander - takes forever - and tough to get into the corners.  That's why the last few shelves Glenn built haven't been sanded or finished yet  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Mike 870

You did a great job.  I like it a lot.  Even after using a hand sander on something as simple as a table top, it makes me want to invest in a random orbit sander.  How are the shelves attached to the sides?  Dado cut?

Redoverfarm

When working with larger than ordinary rough sawn stock I have found that a 3-4" belt sander w/60-80 grit belt works wonders.  Follow up with graduated lighter grits and use the palm sander to give it that finished look.

Sassy

I started using a belt sander after Glenn bought one - much faster, but have to use a smaller sander in the corners & do a lot by hand... still pretty labor intensive...

Cowboy Billy

Thanks Sassy

I wish I had sanded it before I put it together! But I was in a hurry when I put it together in july. I got UP two days before my Dad, Brother, Sister Bil and their two kids came up. With 5 adults and 2 kins in a 26' travel trailer and 12x20 room it was quite packed. And I needed shelves to stack food and clothing on.

Thanks Mike

We are off grid running off a small forklift battery power inverter and generator to charge it back up. And am limited on the tools I have. Which came down to a few chainsaws, a delta sliding miter box saw Woodmizer lt-40 cordless drill a ryobi corner sander and harbor freight palm sander. The shelves were just butted up and screwed together with 3 1/2" deck screws.

Thanks again John

I'll get one of those. My hands went numb a few time with the palm sanders.

Billy

Jens

get a good handplane, and scraping card, and learn how to sharpen/use them, and you will wonder why you ever spent so much money on sandpaper.

I love the gentle curves in the front of your shelves.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

been a bit busy for the last year

You may remember me talking about the "big house" a time or two. 

Here is the breakfast nook

Living room inglenook

Staircase I designed 5 years ago.  Face frames are 100 year old heart pine flooring, balustrade is from 90 year old studs and casings, all re-milled of course.

legs for mantle in master bedroom, re-milled siding and flooring

living room mantle, 100 year old quarter sawn white oak

beam work (some hide steel I-beams) made out of original siding from house

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

rick91351

WOW Jens I have been wondering what you are up to.  Now I know.   [cool]

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Sassy

I have to say WOW! too!  Beautiful work as usual!  Were you going to post more pics of your other house?  You know how we like pics & more of this one too  :)

Ernest T. Bass

Amazing.. I love the staircase nooks and the mantle corners, and the fact that you use so much reclaimed wood..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Cowboy Billy

Quote from: Jens on February 08, 2011, 11:18:30 PM
get a good handplane, and scraping card, and learn how to sharpen/use them, and you will wonder why you ever spent so much money on sandpaper.

I love the gentle curves in the front of your shelves.

Thanks Jens

Those are the live ends of the wood all I did was peel the bark and sand it down. When I cut it I slabbed the top bottom and back then cut my boards out of it.

You did some beautiful work there. Love all the re-sawed wood!

Billy

Jens

thanks everyone.  Sassy, I haven't been able to do very much on our house.  I have been working on our "spare" bedroom.  I say "spare", because when 6 people live in a 950 square foot two bedroom, there isn't really any spare room.  The kids are in the loft though, and this is the bedroom that will be ours.  Will try to get some pics up soon, will be on the "little house remodel" thread.  Will have built-in furniture style closets, so I'll post those here. 

Now I get to try and figure out how to fix my truck...and how to pay for it!

Got my website built too, link in my signature line.

Alasdair

Nice work Jens - very tidy looking stuff.
I was wondering where you'd been too  :)

Good job on the web site too!

Redoverfarm

Recently I had used a techinque for securing a tenon in an antique mirror frame.  I thought maybe someone might be able to benefit on this technique for coat racks and other applications. So I took a picture of an article I had written for Wood magazine in 1997.  I tried to scan the article but I am not savy enough to convert from the pdf file.  d*

pmichelsen

Wow, some of the stuff in here makes me feel like I shouldn't be posting this at all. I am really impressed with everyone's handy work and it definitely makes me want to get back into woodworking.

This is a VERY simple hecklers bench I made and installed over looking the horseshoe pit at the cabin. Nothing fancy at all, used some scrap flat iron I had lying around and a few pieces of pipe from a fence I ripped out. The seat and back are just 2 x 8 redwood and I applied a few coats of sealer. I designed it so that the back has some give to it for a little extra comfort; the verdict is still out as to whether I am happy with this feature. One thing is for sure, it sure beats sitting on the wet ground while waiting your turn.

Redoverfarm

Looks like it will flip the bill for what you were after.  If it doesn't suit your fancy you will have room for improvement on the next one. ;)

Sassy

Nice work & good use of materials you had lying around - looks comfy  :)

John Raabe

Nice work to all.

Jens: I love the craftsman character you are getting. I even love the moody smoky photos - perfect.
Gustav Stickley would be proud.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

Just beating in time waiting for the weather to get better.  I picked this school desk up last fall and decided that it needed a facelift.  It is a E.H. Stafford # 4 school desk.  They were manufactured between 1907 and 1929.  As I look at the "pocketknife" holes and carvings my mind began to wonder.  Who sat in these desk , where are they now and  what type of person they may have become in later years.  It was almost evident that "Matt" was one of the students whose name is carved in the pencil tray. Does anyone remember having a desk like this.  I think it will be a good addition to Hightop.

BEFORE

AFTER

Minicup28

I went to a one room country school that had these desks. I have one stored away that I should restore also.
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...