Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 870

I took some pictures of some furniture my dad made when I was home.  I thought his bench idea for on top of the fireplace hearth was pretty neat.  Gives you more seating in a small living room.  It opens to store the pillows.  He moves it when he makes a fire.  The tables are cherry.  He also did the floor which I think is white oak.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

lshallenb

jens- i think that desk you made out of salvaged barn wood is awesome.  especially like the way the fish inlay looks to be swimming in a wood grain sea.  keep up the good work.  ive never put much thought into using inlays in anything, think i may need to give it a try next time i have the urge to make something.

Jens

Thanks.  It was really time consuming to do the way I did.  I just bought a router inlay kit from Woodcraft, anxious to see how well it works.  I still can't believe how beautiful the grain of that wood was.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Re-loading / storage bench , gun room vault door.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Way too perfect, PEG. [ouch]

A real work of art. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Thanks, the reviews on Woodenboat forum aren't quite as good ::)  I have a non-fan over there d*  c*

Jens

sounds like a block head who wooden know a Chris Craft from a Hobiecat
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Mike 870

I'll never get people who throw stones over the internet (or real life for that matter).  It looks great to me. 

considerations

I'd be thrilled if my kitchen turns out that nicely....wow PEG.

PEG688

Pine Cone

Here are a couple of extremes - from super rustic to pretty refined and then back to rustic...

Alder stool, no metal parts, made from small trees cut down while clearing my cabin property

At the other extreme, a sapele table from two imported African hardwood saple boards bought at Edensaw in Port Townsend which will be my cabin table.  This is my most refined furniture project to date.

A sapwood-edged paduk table.  From another Edensaw board...

More rustic benches, spalted alder

Pine bench made from slab cut off from cabin wall timbers with alder legs from trees cut while clearing the property

I plan on making all my cabin cabinets, tables, bookshelves, etc. using mostly pine boards which were milled from my cabin logs.  The sapele table was a fluke - total wood cost for the table was about $50!  Too good a deal to pass up.  The wood is much prettier than the photos.  It has a 3-D depth to the grain which is quite amazing. 

PEG688

Nice work Mr. Pine , or would that be Mr. Cone?

How old is that Paduk table? All the Paduk I've used has turned a shade of sort of dark gray. Something to do with UV light the way Cherry darkens with age. Called Patina by those in the know.

On the Cherry it;s a good thing , on the Paduk , not so much.

Nice work, I get a lot of my lumber from Edensaw as well. Do you know Russ, the outside sales guy?

The Sapele looks nice, I've never worked it but I have looked at a bit of it. But it's never made the "wood of choice" club for any client  so far.

Nice wide boards and pretty stable from what I've been told.

Any thing you'd like to share about it. Like smell when machined, burner or chipping when routed, Cherry burns quite easy, and other woods have there oddities or quirks .

bayview

Quote from: PEG688 on January 03, 2010, 03:37:04 PM
Thanks, the reviews on Woodenboat forum aren't quite as good ::)  I have a non-fan over there d*  c*

Really?  His work must be first class, using the finest of materials . . . 

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on January 03, 2010, 10:56:09 AM

Re-loading / storage bench , gun room vault door.

Oh boy!! That's nice work!

Yours too Pine Cone.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Pine Cone

Quote from: PEG688 on January 04, 2010, 05:05:35 AM
  Nice work Mr. Pine , or would that be Mr. Cone?

How old is that Paduk table? All the Paduk I've used has turned a shade of sort of dark gray. Something to do with UV light the way Cherry darkens with age. Called Patina by those in the know.

Nice work, I get a lot of my lumber from Edensaw as well. Do you know Russ, the outside sales guy?

The Sapele looks nice, I've never worked it but I have looked at a bit of it. But it's never made the "wood of choice" club for any client  so far.

Nice wide boards and pretty stable from what I've been told.

Any thing you'd like to share about it. Like smell when machined, burner or chipping when routed, Cherry burns quite easy, and other woods have there oddities or quirks .   

Peg - you do great work.  I like the reloading setup, much nicer than what I have at the moment, and your step guard rails and garden lattice work is inspiring [cool]

The paduk table picture is about two years old.  It has gotten much darker since then.  I have friends that build strip-built kayaks and one of them used paduk as an accent.  Nice a reddish early on, but as you say, it turns much darker with age.  With that experience, I expected it to darken, so it didn't catch me by surprise.  It is almost a walnut color now.

I found the sapele very easy to work.  One of the boards was about 18" wide and 9' long.  I just cut it in half and then used a biscuit cutter to help join the two pieces together for the table top.  No burning, no funny smells.  I had no problems with either rip or crosscut sawing and it was fairly easy to sand. I did some planing using a hand plane to thin the edges.  Lots of complicated grain so I went back to the ROS to sand it before finishing.  It seemed to glue well and I had  no problems finishing it using Minway WipeOn Poly.  I plan on buying some again when the right project and/or wood price comes along again.

Don't know Russ at Edensaw, mostly I end up talking with Lew.  Thanks for the kind words...

Ernest T. Bass

I have to start by saying that the stuff you guys have posted so far is stunning! I can't believe I've never checked this thread out before. It's certainly given me lots of ideas!

Okay.. so how about a bit more rustic furniture? Here's a few pieces we've made for our home..

This is our newest addition to the living room.. My sister will be making cushions in the nearby future.

Got a little carried away.. Normally I'd say 'good enough' before I bothered do do something like this.. Routered and burned with a propane torch.

My younger brother (15 at the time) built a couple of these rockers.. The seat and back boards are reclaimed aspen from old ATV crates.

He went on to build a rocking bench of the same design. Also with reclaimed wood..

An end table with a drawer.. But.. you already knew that. :)

Our house is littered with these things... We have to build most of our stuff with green wood, and it's challenging to make a stool that doesn't end up wobbly after the logs dry. The style on the left has stayed pretty sturdy.

There's a few more, but it's somebody else's turn now. ;D

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Hey Andrew, those are very nice!!!!

Ever tried making a three legged stool?  They don't wobble.

Ernest T. Bass

No, not yet.. Sounds interesting though. 'Wobble' might not have been the best word.. They tend to get kind of 'twisty' as the joints loosen. Perhaps a triangular leg structure would be less prone to that as well, though.

MountainDon

Three legged stools were used for milking cows on the farm many decades ago when I was a young lad.

They would not wobble on the uneven floors

Redoverfarm

Nice Job Andrew.  Keep at it and then go retail on line.   The more you make the better you get.  Just don't forget "quality" if you grow.

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: MountainDon on January 13, 2010, 10:55:16 PM
Three legged stools were used for milking cows on the farm many decades ago when I was a young lad.

They would not wobble on the uneven floors

Ah; never thought of that! Would definitely be nice as our earthen floor isn't exactly perfectly flat.

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 13, 2010, 11:08:56 PM
Nice Job Andrew.  Keep at it and then go retail on line.   The more you make the better you get.  Just don't forget "quality" if you grow.

We'd like to do more selling, especially since building furniture in the heated workshop is a lot more fun than doing anything outside in the subzero weather.. :) Shipping the bigger stuff is the killer, though. Somehow all of the major log furniture manufactures manage to offer free shipping on their beds, tables, etc. We'd never be able to compete with that.. I think we're probably better off trying to find a niche market for smaller, unique items..