PhotoBucket Change of Service Terms Affects CountryPlans Forum (July 1, 2017)

Started by hpinson, July 02, 2017, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveOrr

Quote from: azgreg on July 06, 2017, 11:55:47 AM
hpinson, all my stuff has been saved and removed from pb except for a few images like the one above. I have all my images on a portable hard drive at home. I'm looking at having my own website though for photo hosting.

That's what I did for my cabin build.
Costs me a few bucks a year but way less than $400!!!
And I have 2 sites. One for my cabin and a fishing one.

The cabin:  http://www.anglersparadise.ca/   :)

Currently working on getting all my pics off PB that I have stored there and will soon be deleting  them and my account once I have downloaded them.
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

DaveOrr

Quote from: Adam Roby on July 09, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
Damn...  I thought I could right-click and have it bring me to the image, save it locally, upload to new site, and fix the link.  When I go to photobucket directly, I still see that same "3rd party hosting" error.  There's no way to know what image you had posted where.  Am I missing something?

I had the same issue. Just download the albums and the images will come down, even the ones that show up as speedo's.
The correct image, not the speedo image.
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Adam Roby

Quote from: SouthernTier on July 10, 2017, 11:16:41 AM
By imgcur do you mean imgur?

Indeed, imgur.  The steps were meant more of a "what I did" and the site you choose should loosely follow the same procedure.
I didn't realize they were all limiting the same way as PB.  Might have to find yet another site. 

Quote from: DaveOrr on July 11, 2017, 10:34:06 PM
I had the same issue. Just download the albums and the images will come down, even the ones that show up as speedo's.
The correct image, not the speedo image.

Thanks, trying that now.

kevin1234

thank you for the invite so far this forum is awesome ,you do have an issue with photos not a fan of photobucket

HillGirl

This topic explains why I don't see image avatars or posted topic images!

Being able to join the forums is still a very big advantage to me though.  Could you allow link overs FROM your site to the individual's image link?  I remember clicking journal cuts from live journal when members had IP or photos that took.up too much space in a fast moving discussion

MountainDon

Quote from: HillGirl on March 02, 2019, 10:00:20 PM
This topic explains why I don't see image avatars or posted topic images!

Well, not really.  Photobucket made a further adjustment to their policy and presently any images that are hosted on PB do appear in forum topics, but with a medium sized "hosted by photobucket" watermark in the lower left of each image. However, if the original poster of the image has closed their PB account or deleted the photos or moved the images without changing the link, then the images are gone.

My PB images show once again wherever on this forum I had posted them. I just checked a few minutes ago and still see the ones I looked for, so if the images do not show it is because of some other reason.   I am not sure what you mean by " Could you allow link overs FROM your site to the individual's image link?  I remember clicking journal cuts from live journal when members had IP or photos that took.up too much space in a fast moving discussion"   Perhaps send me a PM wiyth an expaned explanation?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

gbleuc

Just to include this in the conversation: If the owner ever decides to accept donations for the site in the future (I get that they don't for now), just an fyi that you don't need to set up as a 501c3 and go through all that hassle. You can use crowdfunding (such as GoFundMe) with very little footwork and post the link here for people to contribute. Although they do take 3%. These are considered by the IRS to be personal gifts which in most circumstances aren't taxed as income, either.

Re linking to images: Also wanted to add another idea to this thread in case it helps someone- You can paste images into a Google doc and include the non-editable ("View-only") Google doc link in your post on CP. Personally I think it's less of a pain than dealing with Google images :) You can also add images to Google sheets, which is probably what I'll end up doing, because you can have several sheets in one file which users can then toggle through. If you delete or "Hide" the remaining columns or rows you're not using, it's very clean-looking. They are both very reliable. Not sure if there's hindrances in the user agreement. Another method in case.