What I've Learned About Propane and Portable Cylinders

Started by MountainDon, January 29, 2011, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

And others just use Diesel as it just becomes too difficult in your part of the world. I have few of them ::)
"we go where the power lines don't"

madracer2469

Good Day,

Thank you for the extremely detailed and helpful information. I would like to gather some more information and poll the audience on using a 40# LP tank with a heatnglo fireplace with a 23,500 max BTU.

According to the 25% full diagram this system should operate fine to about 25', does that sound accurate? My remaining questions are:
> Does that mean that when the tank is greater than 25% full and it's warmer than 25' that this system would operate completely normal?
> If the tank is less than 25% full and it is 25' then would there be any safety concerns or could this damage the tank, regulator, or fireplace?
> Do you have any experience with a similar 40# tank and gas fireplace system and how has it functioned for you? I'm in North Carolina where it rarely gets below 25'.
Thanks in advance for your time, assistance, and feedback.
May you have a great day!
-Mike

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum Mike.  I don't have any experience with 40# tanks but I have had a portable grill crap out at about 32 F.  The issue then wasn't the tank but the regulator.  They are not all the same, so you want to be sure you've got one that will provide the flow you need at the anticipated temps.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MountainDon

Quote from: madracer2469 on February 10, 2017, 11:16:33 AM
Good Day,

Thank you for the extremely detailed and helpful information. I would like to gather some more information and poll the audience on using a 40# LP tank with a heatnglo fireplace with a 23,500 max BTU.

According to the 25% full diagram this system should operate fine to about 25', does that sound accurate? My remaining questions are:
> Does that mean that when the tank is greater than 25% full and it's warmer than 25' that this system would operate completely normal?
> If the tank is less than 25% full and it is 25' then would there be any safety concerns or could this damage the tank, regulator, or fireplace?
> Do you have any experience with a similar 40# tank and gas fireplace system and how has it functioned for you? I'm in North Carolina where it rarely gets below 25'.
Thanks in advance for your time, assistance, and feedback.
May you have a great day!
-Mike

I'd say those assumptions should be correct.  As for what happens if the tank gets lower than 25% or the temperature gets colder.... the flame may go out or maybe just burn at low efficiency.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

madracer2469

Very helpful! Thank you for your time and feedback. Checking the pressure in the lines now and I'll report back.

Have a great day!
-Mike

flyingvan

Pressure is irrelevant.  Flow is what you need.  That said, if you watch for pressure drop from static to demand, you could probably figure out available BTU's at whatever temperature you are at.  Even a little puddle of propane in your cylinder on a cold day will generate pressure, around 140 psi or so--but once you try to do something with it there won't be much evaporation to maintain that pressure
Find what you love and let it kill you.

madracer2469

Very helpful, thanks!

Update: I've been using the 40# tank for an hour or two every other day for about a month and it seems to work very well for this purpose. It was especially cold this morning at 25 F' and I used it for about 30 minutes. For future reference, I'll try to update with more findings if we have any other cold mornings as the tank gets lower. Thanks for all your time, collaboration, and feedback all!

jumbo

Quote from: bayview on January 29, 2011, 06:09:51 PM
   A lot of great information!   

I've noticed that the propane flame is more yellow in the winter.   Now I see why. . .    The appliance is receiving less than one third of the pressure compared to a 100 degree summer day.   (Even with a pressure regulator)

Thanks.

/.

Yes, you are correct! Colour of flame changes and now I know why it happens. First I thought our regulator is having some issues.