Changed my steer plans

Started by peternap, January 06, 2009, 04:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I called the fellow I was getting my steer from last night and he hadn't even put it on feed yet.
So I checked the livestock auctions and looks like .70 is the going rate now. I called the butcher I had been talking to and he told me he just got two long horn steers in that were organically raised. (Very lean) He said I could have one, cut to my specs for 1.80 a pound.

That's about .07 a pound more than I had planned....but still a good deal.

I can pick it up at the end of the week. [hungry]
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

yum-yum.  That'll help with the high protein diet you need to be on! ;)

Redoverfarm

Good price for finished beef IMO.  Are you taking the whole beef or just a portion.  I sure you could get rid of the rest that wasn't needed to your siblings. ;D

peternap

I thought it was a good price too John.
I really liked the guys shop and how he did business. He's just a good old boy and easy to talk to but he knows the business.

I had talked to a friend with the Dept of Agriculture who recommended him. He said he could get me a little better price at auction (That's what he does with the dept) but I was probably better off dealing with Duffy directly.

I sure wish I had the fences to hold Buffalo. The man a few farms over raises them and gets a fortune for them. I'd love to raise 1 or two for meat....and as playmates for Zeus ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter there is a buffalo farm in Paint Bank, Va off 311 between Covington & Salem .  Drove by a couple of times on a daily trip.  I couldn't afford the fences or corral.  He owns a country store along 311 and sells different cuts.  Pricey for me but maybe one day I will break down and splurge.

I was going to sugggest the auction but generally they are not ready to butcher.  Need about 6-8 weeks on grain before butchering.  But then again you would have to haul it from the sale to a fenced area with water available and then feed.  Then haul it to a slaughter shop.  Generally you can pu a 800-1000 head for about 75-85 cents @ # .  Add the needed feed and transportation and you may save a few cents but not really worth it if you are not set up for it.  And then there is "How am I going to get it back in the pen" .  Smarter move on your part.