16x36 in North Mississippi

Started by jhivy, October 03, 2013, 09:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jhivy

Ready for metal.  If the wind ever stops blowing, I might get some put on.

Tickhill

I recently changed jobs and I am in Meridian, man has it been windy today with snow/ice expected tomorrow. Glad to see you making progress.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

jhivy

Half the roof is now covered in metal. 

jhivy

Roof complete.  Most of the sheathing complete.  Starting to look like a house.  Or a church, apparently, as most of my neighbors ask if it is.

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

jhivy

jhivy

Didn't realize it had been so long since I posted.  Windows in.  Laundry room dried in. 

jhivy

Windows trimmed.  Ready for siding.

rick91351

Just a concern or question - Do your bedroom windows meet egress standards?  Or does it matter? 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jhivy

I will have no inspection, so it doesn't matter, but i don't want to trapped inside either.  Those windows are 28X60, so they'll be close.  I'd have to put a tape on the opening to find out for sure.  The perspective of the photo makes them look a little squattier than reality.

However, those are not the bedroom windows.  The bedrooms are actually in the loft.  Does a loft count as a bedroom?  Same requirements as an enclosed bedroom?  If so, my windows up there won't comply.  ???

hpinson

Now you've opened a can of worms.  ::)

MountainDon

FWIW,
IRC section R310.1.1 Minimum opening area.
All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2).

Exception: Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet (0.465 m2).
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

QuoteDoes a loft count as a bedroom?  Same requirements as an enclosed bedroom?
Yes and yes. They would still like to have the possibility for you to self rescue or to get you out of that level if there is a fire below. Do try to work an egress in there. Small deck and a door?

rick91351

I sort of thought one of the firefighters would way in here.  Part of the concern for 'egress' sizing is actually not egress but entering a burning building with an air pack.  Our old building inspector 'Builder Bob' was attempting to explain that to me a couple years ago.  I listened to his droning about entering a building with an air pack......  I rolled my eyes and said 'Bob this is Prairie we do not have a fire department nor even a fire district.  Nor will we ever have one up here.  No body is going to be entering a building with an air pack up here.'  Guess what we are now in the embryo stage of growing one!!!

Patrick

This is all Wisconsin says about lofts "(4) Exits from lofts.
SPS 321.03(4)(a)(a) At least one stairway exit shall be provided, to the floor below, for a loft exceeding 400 square feet in area.
SPS 321.03(4)(b) (b) At least one stairway or ladder exit shall be provided to the floor below for a loft, 400 square feet or less, in area. "
And egress "1. The nominal size of the net clear window opening shall be at least 20 inches by 24 inches irrespective of height or width. Nominal dimensions shall be determined by rounding up fractions of inches if they are ½-inch or greater or rounding down fractions of inches if they are less than ½-inch.
SPS 321.03(6)(b)2. 2. No portion of the window, including stops, stools, meeting rails and operator arms, shall infringe on the required opening. "

jhivy

Corrugated siding going up.  I really like the look.

jhivy

jhivy

dablack

Looks good.  Did you have a truck come in to pour those or did you DIY?

Also, what did you decide to do with the roof insulation?

jhivy

It was diy.  My dad has a mixer, so it was quick.  No hand mixing.

I will go with spray foam in the rafters.  I used a "cool roof" design where the metal sits above the decking on a grid of laths.   The idea is that separating the roof material from the decking and using a highly reflective roof will reduce heat transfer.  That and it made it much easier to put the metal on a 12/12 pitch.

jhivy

Love the look of the exposed rafter tails.  Didn't love the painting part.  But its done now.

jhivy

Utility room covered with Hardie Panel.  Just needs some battens and paint.

jhivy

Painted.  The color matches well.

jhivy