1.5 story 20' loft framing at gable end

Started by MarkAndDebbie, November 19, 2009, 09:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAndDebbie

Looking at page 5 - loft plan.

I'm doing the 2x6 decking exposed.

I see doubled 2x12s at 3rd, 6th etc studs. Shouldn't there be one at the first stud? If not what does the t&g flooring rest on? I was sketchuping the plan and put a 2x6 flat in the corner to be a nailer for the finished wall, but my 2x12 (I think I need) seems to cut into that (as well as the let in ledger). Also the flooring won't have much to rest on if the finished wall takes up 1/2" - leaving an inch to nail the floor to. Or do I need to double the first one too.

Thanks,
Mark

John Raabe

I think if you have balloon framed the end walls you will find that you can just use a single exposed 2x12 nailed to the inside of the wall to support the decking. This will stand proud of the interior finish and match the beams.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

MarkAndDebbie

Quote from: John Raabe on November 20, 2009, 09:26:27 AM
I think if you have balloon framed the end walls you will find that you can just use a single exposed 2x12 nailed to the inside of the wall to support the decking. This will stand proud of the interior finish and match the beams.

Sounds good - I understand it, and I can do it.
Thanks.

MarkAndDebbie

For the loft joists, I am using construction adhesive and through bolting at 4' oc with 1/2" bolts (no nails showing). Would lag bolts on this first joist be ok into the studs instead of nails (just to make it look more uniform)? What size/frequency?

Thanks!

John Raabe

Yes, you could match your layout using the lag screws. One 1/4" lag screw with 2" into framing will hold 272 lbs. (A 1/2" lag, 624#) If this is holding the nailing edge of your decking it will not be carrying much weight.

from: http://www.kineticsnoise.com/SeismicBook/pdfs/a7/a7.3%20-%20seismic%20design%20data%20for%20lag%20screws.pdf
None of us are as smart as all of us.