Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

This is how we put the beams in place

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

SardonicSmile

Quote from: astidham on June 22, 2010, 06:59:02 PM
This is how we put the beams in place

Looks a lot easier than what I did (raised slab). If I had to do it all over this is what I would do. Nice work!

astidham

Thank You Sardonic Smile I have followed your thread, yours is looking real good!
— Henry Ford

John Raabe

Nice work and thanks for the helpful photos. Everyone can share and learn from a project like this.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dug

I was going to build my foundation like you did, using concrete above grade with posts in order to make leveling the beams easier but was concerned about getting good enough bracing with the short posts. I am wondering if you plan to brace yours, or maybe I am missing something and it may not be as important with the two part pier system you used.

I am not criticizing (looks great!), just curious.

cmsilvay

When we built ours I was also concerned about bracing so instead of 6x we went with dry stacked 8" blocks filld with concrete.We had rebar running up the center for extra reinforcement.

astidham

Quote from: dug on June 23, 2010, 02:47:52 PM
I was going to build my foundation like you did, using concrete above grade with posts in order to make leveling the beams easier but was concerned about getting good enough bracing with the short posts. I am wondering if you plan to brace yours, or maybe I am missing something and it may not be as important with the two part pier system you used.

I am not criticizing (looks great!), just curious.

dug i plan on bracing the beams, not sure with what yet.
i was going to have some steel triangles built at a fab shop, but more likely to use 2x6 cross brace.
i also think that using the continuous footings i poured will help a little. the way you braced yours look very strong, if you have any suggestions please let me know
— Henry Ford

John Raabe

The foundation plans for the pier and beam foundations in my plans have details showing prefab steel brackets and 45º wood brackets bolted to the beams and the wood posts. There are a number of options depending on how tall the posts or piers are.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

astidham

Thanks John, I see what you are talking about on page 1.
I did use a simpson bracket (AC6), each bracket holds 10 nails and when they are all nailed up they hold the beam pretty tight.
If i can fit the lumber, i will use the method you call out.
— Henry Ford

astidham

I checked my beams with the water level and found them not level with each other.
instead of shimming the low places, i notched the beams

I used dugs method for finding square by building 2 boxes and moving them until square...Thanks dug!

I wasn't able to get all the floor joist up before the storm

mostly because i didn't have my helper, my wife

— Henry Ford

astidham

Anyone use pocket doors before? are they hard to install?
— Henry Ford

handyman

Pocket doors aren"t hard to do.  Buy the kit and frame it into your new wall, then buy the door and hang it on the rolling track.
They are not convenient to use, and are mostly just left open.

rick91351

PEG posted something a while back about some higher grade pocket door hardware he had found.  I know it sounded a lot better to use in the long run.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

astidham

more floor joist pics

Simpson bracket
— Henry Ford

dug

Looking good! I'm sure you must feel very satisfied seeing it growing away from the ground. I was right there not so long ago.

astidham

Thanks dug, It does feel like an accomplishment!!
— Henry Ford

astidham

Rain has slowed down production but we did get a couple of visitors

Started the floor sheathing

Sheathing complete, future living room view

shop view

— Henry Ford

astidham

The tarantula spider is on a 2x6
— Henry Ford

dug

QuoteThe tarantula spider is on a 2x6

The males are out in force here as well

Good work on the deck!

astidham

Thank you dug, cant wait for your update!
— Henry Ford

astidham

got the first wall up today, 100 degree temp sure didn't help good thing was dad came down to visit and laid out the framing

living room wall followed closely

— Henry Ford

astidham

as of today dad and I Have put up 3 walls

not bad for a short weekend
— Henry Ford

dug

You guys are cranking along well!  Good to see.

One thing I noticed- The opening that looks about 6 ft. wide seems to have an awfully thin header. Maybe it's just the photo, but you may want to check the sizing if you haven't already.

astidham

Thanks dug, the header is 3 2x6s nailed together. I will check the span table, good catch dug!
— Henry Ford