Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: ScottA on October 09, 2009, 06:53:25 PM
QuoteHow far down?

All the way down. Same with the tar paper.

Yup, once I looked at it I realized how good of an idea that was :)

OlJarhead

Lessons Learned, remembering things, mistakes made, patience and impatience and oh ya, we'll deliver for 50 bucks!

What a weekend! ;)

So, there I was driving down the road happy as can be on my way to pick up materials for my cabin so I could get framing walls.  I had it all figured out too.

First, I'd load up all 72 studs...wait, 72?  Isn't that a bit heavy?  Yup.  Hmmm.....

So there I was driving back to the cabin site with half the load I intended having to turn around and go back to get the other half of the load and not being able to get ALL of what I planned for the weekend.  Oh and the Canadians decided to send down some artic weather to mix it up a bit -- can we say sub freezing cold as you know what flash freezing bloody cold weather?

How's 5 degrees grab ya?  In a tent trailer....

So anyway, after getting the second load of stuff on the trailer and preparing to roll off the yard I see what looks like a 1 1/4 ton offroad delivery vehicle extraodinaire...hmmmm... the exchange when like this:

"So I'm curious, do you deliver?"

Store worker "Yes, where to?"

"Totally off road up hill, around the bend and over the mountains -- what do you charge?"

Store dude "All the way up there?  in 4 wheel drive no less?  Hmmm.... how's 50 bucks?"

I picked my jaw back up and promptly determined my next trip would be more productive -- as in they'd do the delivery and I'd actually get something done!  DOH!

Back at the site we began in earnest to bang up a wall.  I cut the studs to 10' even knowing I'd gain 4.5" of wall height on them but thanks to John determined that the extra inches would be nice in the loft.

After the wall was built and squared I wisely (maybe not so) decided to nail on one sheet of sheeting to keep it square and then stood it up.  The sheeting helped to secure it to the floor (thanks Scott et al) and with braces in place it was plumb and we were ready for the next wall -- the tough one...and it was getting late and where did that frost come from?

So as I began to work on the next wall I realized I'd made a rookie mistake -- I made the wall the right size but making it the 'inside' wall (meaning the outer wall would nail to it so it was shorter by the thickness of the other wall) I'd made the rush/rookie error of nailing down a 'nailer' on it as if it were the longer wall -- DOH!...ok I'll survive right?  Ya Sure.

Anyway, back to wall number two...a simple affair of 10' wall with a 2x10 notched into it...um huh?  crap!  So there I was bent over with a skill saw cutting notches after the wall was framed 90%......(shouldn't you at least square it first?...nah we can do it...ya right).....

So, finally, frustrated, cold and in the dark (literally) I put the saw down and cleaned up for the night...we'll start at 9AM at the latest!

3AM -- it's cold!

6:30AM -- turn the heat OFF!

6:45 AM -- damn it's cold again -- turn the heat ON!

So the morning went hoping not to run out of propane and thinking it was not going to be a good day.  By 9AM I was thinking maybe we could start at noon becuase by then it ought to at least be warm enough to work right?  I mean it ought to have warmed up to FREEZING by noon anyway right?

Ya Sure Uhuh.....

More later ;)

Don & Ginger Lundgren

Man that had me laughing really hard. If anyone had seem me they would have thought I was nuts. I feel for you and the cold. I hope you have some little bit better weather to work in soon.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Don & Ginger Lundgren on October 12, 2009, 12:47:27 PM
Man that had me laughing really hard. If anyone had seem me they would have thought I was nuts. I feel for you and the cold. I hope you have some little bit better weather to work in soon.

*chuckle* Sorry couldn't resist -- I used to write for a car magazine (little known obscure one) and that was my style -- poke fun at myself becuase there is just SO much material there! ;) :P

Fist wall goes up...it's within 1/16th of an inch square...of course that's the first wall and as you will find I'm prone to that most human condition "stupidity" in which I will do all manner of wonderful things like hammering ones thumb (not this time) or perhaps, shall we say, installing a loft beam before squaring the next wall...anyone have a fix for dumn man syndrome?  -- kidding, It's a cabin and I'm sure it won't fall down just becuase I can't keep one wall within 1/4 inch (John, if it will fall down don't tell me so I can finish it, go to sleep in it and then be crushed by the loft -- which would be fitting really but I digress...who needs square walls anyway right?  Seriously, have you ever seen....no never mind you probably have anyway....

Did you know that ten feet was longer then ten feet 5 1/2 inches?  Yup, sure is!  At least it is after you added one wall to another ;)

So there is my first loft beam -- wanna guess if it's level?  Hell I don't even know though the level that stuck to my hand (Erik Level Hands) should have been useful for determining that but I was too busy chasing cows (yes real cows) away from my favorite spot to try to catch deer winking at the new trail cam...but that's another story....

So anyway, yes, we learned some things ;) and no the level didn't really stick to my hand I was just kidding, after all it DID warm up to freezing by noon.

OlJarhead

My property is in a 'Free Range' area and so the neighbors cows and horses come and hang out when they feel like it.

I have to put up a 4 wire fence to keep them out (if you use 3 wires then the neighbors don't have to pay for damages) and since my land was unoccupied for ever -- literally -- there isn't much of a fence (actually on on 3 sides and what's left the cows have pushed down in places to cross).

So, I've got to do some work to convince them to leave the mineral licks I leave for the deer!

Saw some Turkey's this weekend (nice big fat ones) and some White Tailed Deer (doe and a buck) as well as lots of Coyote tracks and of course the little howling buggers woke the gang up on Friday (not me though)....and say just outside the Tent Trailer howling away at my son who worried that if he complained I'd get mad at him -- ha!  Even see a coyote run?  Just rack the slide! ;)

OlJarhead

So I got this new 'HorseCam'.....

Yes here it is, early evening, it's dark and the deer, er I mean horses are out eating away...

No wonder the deer tracks are always heading past the blocks....

Actually they aren't and I'm hoping after a week of no nail pounding or camp fires the deer will be back.

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 12, 2009, 12:34:21 PM
"So I'm curious, do you deliver?".....
.... how's 50 bucks?"

That's what we did. The yard is about an hour away on a twisty, steep grades road. $50 delivery for the entire framing, sheathing, roof lumber, tar paper, etc. materials list package. We did have to shuffle the load once it was dropped, but it sure beat all the driving I would have had to do.

You definitely need a good livestock fence. I got tired of dodging cow pies. Lot of work though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Yonderosa

Eric,
All this whining about the cold and just down the road from you were a bunch of hippies dancing nekkid at the annual microbus/hemp/tie-dye fair.  Can you believe the locals were getting $10 car to let them park in their fields?

All kidding aside, I was exactly the same spot last year - tarp the floor or get it dried it.  A gap in my employment allowed me to spend a week there to get it framed and roofed.  Delivery was worth every penny as it saved me at least a day of shuttling. 

I'm betting you'll do just fine this hunting year with a rifle leaned up in the corner of your new blind... er I mean shop.  Had this dude walk right next to my blind, er I mean shed... er, you know what I mean while we were up last weekend.  I was eating breakfast enjoying the view when he strolled by real casual like.  Had just enough time to grab the camera and take a picture through the window before he skedaddled off...  He's been killing turkeys on my property and leaving me a lot of feathers to tie flies with...

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Saw some Turkey's on the property last weekend -- thought maybe I ought to bring some cracked corn for them ;)

Can't wait to get back and see what the Trail Cam reveals!  What a neat invention!!! :D [cool]

curlewdave

Lots of turkeys starting to show up over here.  Last spring I was walking up the driveway ( up  Empire Creek, just south of Curlew), heard a quiet shuffling behind me , turned and looked, to see a flock of 25-30 turkeys shuffling along behind me, as if I was the flock leader...I just lost my desire to shoot  any toms, as they like to strut by the place and wake me up every morning......

OlJarhead

I am so stoked to get back to the land Friday!  Going to do some hunting but also try to get some walls up.  It's been raining and even a little snow so I'm curious to see how things are.

Going to borrow an air nailer and compressor to speed the process up too!  Been a while since I had to produce but with winter coming on fast I need to get the walls up and the floor finished (braces etc) and then get a roof on!!!

Going to order windows soon too and with luck can have it closed up for the winter in a month....but in the mean time I'm dying to see what the trail cam is taking pictures of!

ScottA

OlJarhead

Got to thinking last night that since I left the Tent Trailer popped up (with the door locked) that if a bear were wondering by and smelled anything inside that was of interest he might deside to go in and take a peak around...I'm hoping not!

Hadn't thought of that really since there hasn't been any problems there -- we're out of site out of mind -- but having seen bear prints on the land I do worry I'll show up to find the trailer trashed :(  I hope not!

But I'm heading there tomorrow!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Yonderosa

This year it seems we have a bunch of bears around.  So far (knock on wood) we've not had any issues with the two bears that frequent my place.  My neighbors that have had problems either left garbage out or had barbecues knocked around, usually it is the yearling bears looking for an easy meal. 

how far away is that salt lick from your place.  I put on in a stump this spring and the bears literally ripped the stump to shreds.

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on October 15, 2009, 10:00:49 PM
This year it seems we have a bunch of bears around.  So far (knock on wood) we've not had any issues with the two bears that frequent my place.  My neighbors that have had problems either left garbage out or had barbecues knocked around, usually it is the yearling bears looking for an easy meal. 

how far away is that salt lick from your place.  I put on in a stump this spring and the bears literally ripped the stump to shreds.

I put mineral rocks up about a 1/4 mile from my cabin site and only noticed one set of bear tracks near it a couple weeks ago.

I also have some mineral licks about 100 - 150 yards away that the cows enjoy but haven't seen bear tracks there.

Seems the bears (knock on wood) have been staying away from the area but perhaps becuase we're there pretty much every weekend.

OlJarhead

Boy's went out to find dinner -- dinner escaped, left the county, moved out of country....darn dinner!

So I put up another wall.

One thing of note:  when impatient like me (don't be) try READING (read and you will succeed) the darn panels a little.

I was nailing away happily in my own world swinging my Estwing 22oz waffle faced framing hammer (made in the USA) and really feeling good about getting this wall done when I realized I'd put the OSB inside out.....um...ah....darn it!  I guess 17 years of not framing has cost me a lot of knowledge becuase I couldn't for the life of remember it being that way....smooth side in -- oops.

Ahh well, it's not like this is a house so I'll leave it and put the rest on the other way.

One thing of note, I did intentionally put the floor smooth side up -- why?  Becuase I want to put clear (ish) deck stain on it and leave it -- so did I screw that up too?

Off to go search for OSB knowledge like a 'newb' as the kids would say.....

Yonderosa

Eric, If you would use a Hart hammer (made in the USA - probably been outsourced out of business since I bought mine..)  you simply wouldn't make as many mistakes...  :P :D ;) 

I've had mine for almost 20 years, it's on its fourth handle - only have one or two handles left in reserve...  :o  Despite the abuse I give it it has outlasted 3 or more nail bags as well.

Also, didn't you know that a waffle face is a sure sign of a rookie?   ;D ;)  Hopefully we won't have to read that you had to heat up an 8d nail to pierce the thumbnail that you smashed to relieve the pressure from the swelling...  :(  Of course a 16d would be more impressive... 

Just razzing you man.  Good to see those Deer weren't distracting you too bad to get some work done.

"All tools are hammers, except chisels - and they're screwdrivers."

OlJarhead

:P  Used many but always found my Estwing (Made in America still) to fit me best.

Waffle faced hammers are for framers -- the ones that actually frame ;)  Only rookies or finishing men think otherwise.  Of course, all framers have hit themselves with big waffle faced hammers as rookies and gotten that out of the way -- me too.  Also shot myself through the hand with an air nailer back in 1992 -- ya I learned real quick!

On a side note I find smooth faced framing hammers (have one of those anti-vibe things too) to suck in comparison.  Just something about positive control....but you know all that ;) :P

The OSB thing bothers me though.  I guess becuase I was just in such a hurry I didn't pay attention -- funny really since attention to detail is what gets me success in my real job....

The little things you don't think about (like reading the dang wood for example) will get ya.  But thankfully this isn't a dwelling to be lived in so it doesn't matter as much -- I still want to get it right mind you, just not going to get mad over spilled milk so to speak.

If it were my home though, I'd rip it off and do it again! 

OlJarhead

QuotePanels should be installed textured side up with their long direction across the rafters or truss chords.
Found that here: http://osbguide.tecotested.com/faq14

But that is roof sheeting not walls...maybe it doesn't matter on the wall and it's only for footing on the roof?

Does anyone know?

OlJarhead

QuoteLay panels across three or more supports, keeping the side marked "This Side Down" on the supports when using T&G panels.

Now I'm getting more curious...I mean, why would it matter that it's T&G anyway?

MountainDon

I believe there is no right or wrong side for a wall, it's all covered by weather barrier, etc on the exterior anyways. The only reason there is a right way for a roof is the textured side is much less slippery to walk on. I would not sweat the wall panel.

The bigger worry is overdriving nails or driving them too close to the panel edge.

OlJarhead

QuoteA: Tom Silva replies: It doesn't make a bit of difference from a structural standpoint. A wall, a floor, or a roof will be just as strong no matter which side faces up or out. But on a newly sheathed roof, leaving the lightly textured side up does give a bit of extra traction.

If the OSB has tongue-and-groove edges, there's another issue to consider. According to the Structural Board Association, the tongue-and-groove profile is not symmetrical, so the sheets must all be facing the same way for the joints to match. With those panels, look for the "This side down" stamp and follow that direction. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,430695,00.html
Feeling more like maybe I'm not a moron -- it could be we knew that and didn't care -- hence my not thinking about it.

http://www.panelized.com/techlib/Documentation/pdf/Panelized/Which%20Side%20Up0001.pdf
That does it -- whipes brow -- I just had a moment of brain fartedness and it doesn't matter.

But so many years have passed I thought I really messed up somehow.  Ever done that?  Questioned yourself?  Doubted Yourself?  Of course you have, we all do but I do it all the time! hehe...damn me!

OK back to reality!  WhooHoo!  No screw up!  Now I just need to get cracking the weather is moving in!

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on October 21, 2009, 04:49:28 PM
I believe there is no right or wrong side for a wall, it's all covered by weather barrier, etc on the exterior anyways. The only reason there is a right way for a roof is the textured side is much less slippery to walk on. I would not sweat the wall panel.

The bigger worry is overdriving nails or driving them too close to the panel edge.

That is what I figured and of course read (posted here already) -- I do this all the time though, then go look it up and sometimes I'm good (like this time) sometimes not -- ce la vie

But, the good news is I will have them deliver the rest of the sheeting -- in the beginning of November as well as all of the rest of the lumber to frame the roof and the loft.  That way I can get it finished for the winter anyway!  I just need to close it in so I'll order windows within the next week probably too -- that way I can get them in once the roof is on.

I'm pushing my luck of course, since the winter is coming on fast and furious this year, but I'm hopeful for some dry weather for the next couple months (please!).....then I won't care :)

OlJarhead

I'm planning the next phase of the build now.  My plan is to get all the remaining lumber needed to get the roof on brought in (for $50) and to drive up with an air nailer to speed the process up.

I can put on the last 1 1/2 walls in a day and get the loft done in the 2nd day -- at that point it might be easier to cover it with a temp roof then last weekend!

That leaves me one more weekend to get the roof framed and sheeted and then I ought to be good!  I'm really hoping to get all of this done before any big snow fall because I'd hate to fail to get the roof on and then end up with 3 feet of snow sitting on the floor!

But we'll see!

Pick the stove up today anyway :)
Cheers
Erik