New House Truckee, CA Historic District

Started by Danfish, April 08, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfish

Danfish

Gable end over porch (loft) takes shape...

nathan.principe

Thanks for the info! Its coming along great!!

Don_P

Looking good Dan, I'm sure it feels good to have the beams set. Don't mean to drag the thread off track, I saw a little discussion on glulam and thought more reading material might be of interest to some folks. Many of these are free downloads, the standard details section has ideas for more than just glulam.
http://www.aitc-glulam.org/shopcart/index.asp

Danfish

Thanks Don, some real good glulam info on that referenced link.  Of course it has not rained all summer, but now that I have those beams sitting up there exposed to the elements...we have had two days of afternoon thunderstorms!

Danfish

No new photos to post just chewing up time with a ton of framing detail work.  Should get shear inspection today and on to main roof sheathing this week.

Danfish

Fascia board installed...spent all day yesterday crawling around putting a last coat of stain on the installed board...

Sassy

Your place is looking so nice...  when do you think you'll be able to move in?  It's moving along so fast  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

nathan.principe

I always love seeing your progress posts, you are doing an awesome job!

Danfish

While it appears the project is moving right along, I am a bit nervous about getting the siding on before the snow flys.  I had hoped to be well into that work about now! Master plan is to have everything closed in before winter sets in and shut down project until next spring.  Next season is the interior finish work with a move in target of next fall.

Considerable time has been chewed up the past couple of weeks with things like blocking, shear transfer and metal connectors, witness below...

A lot of blocking up there...

And of course all those connectors...

And finally little details like the engineer's shear transfer blocking in the loft/porch area...

Danfish

Electric Meter Base and temporary construction power circuits in place, as soon as inspected can call for permanent power and pull the temp. power pole...

Rob_O

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Danfish

It will be a 200 amp service...looks larger because of minimium underground conduit size, etc. dictated by local utility.

Danfish

Roof sheathing is on and roofer scheduled to start in 3 days.  First snow is forecast in 5 days...this should be interesting!!! Picked up windows and exterior doors from storage and delivered to site, 400 mile round trip to save $2,000 on total cost of package.

Don_P

It's certainly in the air and keeps one pounding this time of year. We had a few moments of snow today. We're hoping to let the roofer start in a week.

henderson

I was just past Truckee last night. A beautiful place for sure.

Danfish

Roofer drop the ball and did not beat two days of rain and snow, project shut down in hopes that things will dry out.  Schedule is now in the toilet!!!  Weather didn't stop my little friends waiting on the front porch for their morning peanut.  This is the view of Lake Tahoe this morning...

nathan.principe

This is crazy for for me to even fathom!  Here in Texas it has just in the past few weeks become bearable to even be outside due to a severe heat wave and drought we have been experiencing.  Im guessing that by not having the roof on this haults all hopes of any interior work this winter?

Danfish

Almost 5 days of no pogress due to rain and snow.  Always wanted a swiming pool in the master bedroom...

Job site meeting tent...

Managed to get foundation in for gas meter shed...will show more on this subject later, no one can believe what the gas company and town require to protect the gas meter...

Good news is that the roofer started yesterday and it looks like we have at least a week of clear weather in front of us!!!

davidj

Quote from: Danfish on October 12, 2011, 01:55:33 PM
Almost 5 days of no pogress due to rain and snow.  Always wanted a swiming pool in the master bedroom...
My wife was upset because I was sanding inside due to the weather.  Now I can tell her that at least I wasn't water skiing!

Sorry to hear you got hit so hard - it was a pretty heavy storm.  The only consolation up our way was that now we can burn our debris piles.  Probably not much need to do that on your lot!  A friend who's building a cabin up our way has been hit hard too - his roofing and windows will be arriving just at the end of the next dry spell...

Nice that your gas meter cover will also double as a bomb shelter for squirrels.  However, I did read somewhere here that a whole house exploded when snow hit the gas regulator and, aparently, propane pools nicely between snow drifts and can be a rather unpleasant suprise for the first person who walks into the dip smoking!

Danfish

With respect to the squirrel bomb shelter you are correct about the dangers of propane.  Fortunately we are dealing with natural gas here in town (lighter than air) and it dissipates faster than propane.  The gas company had a perfectly good shelter in the past that was more than adequate protection ( I will show a picture later to compare the different designs), but they had a leak incident and felt the need to go overboard on this new design.

First window goes in...

MountainDon

It may be better to go overboard on this than the other way around. I don't have a photo handy but here in NM there are nat gas meters in the open hanging on two pipes sticking out of the ground. And by out in the open I mean out in the open where they could be run over by an errant driver. I don't think it's permitted for new construction anymore but I see these here and there and shake my head.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbiehl

Danfish

More on the bomb-proof gas meter shed...joke on the job site is this looks like a test piece in the apprentice carpenter's school...

Not to belittle the importance of protecting the meter, regulator and associated piping from snow load, but I installed the shed shown below three years ago and it has been through some tough winters without incident.  This shed was avaialble from the local gas company for $200 and took about one hour to assemble and install.  Word on the street is that local contractors are charging $1,500 for the new design and it takes two days to install...

davidj

Looks like you had the tar paper on when I passed though Truckee on Saturday...