L.A. County's Private Property War

Started by flatdarkmars, July 02, 2011, 02:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatdarkmars

Sassy

That is despicable & unconscionable  >:(  They're way out in the boonies,  many have been there for years & years, bothering no one... more of UN Agenda 21 - herd everyone in tightly packed urban centers...  wonder what LA County has planned for the land???   
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rwanders

Quite a story. I have seen similar situations in past but, usually happens when area in question starts to change from rural to suburban and the newcomers start pushing the older, less "civilized" residents out. In other places it happens when a run down area is being "gentrified" and the new and more affluent owners begin to push. The local government is often anxious to increase property values (and tax revenues)  so they help the process along by using zoning and permit requirements as the stick.

Not right on several levels but, on purely political/economic terms it is attractive to have the process proceed so it is a sad but often told tale.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

I just worked on a shopping center near that area.  The areas mentioned are growing in leaps and bounds as people leave LA for the mountains and deserts over the hill.

Yup... I agree, RW - the government wants to claim the land.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

I am so PO by this article.  I do not know how many times I started to respond and had to hit the delete key.  There is just no sense in saying what I really think.  It is not like these people are hurting a damn thing out there.  Small wonder most people are getting fed up with it all. 

Then on the other hand is Homeland Security twisting LA County's arm?  This area is pretty close to some places they would just as soon not have people.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I would say they want it for tax revenue for the parasites in government as well as developers wanting to build in working areas.

The citizens are slowly coming to realize that LA is doomed with any kind of a burp in the system.  They are still not far sighted enough to see that moving to a community out of town and just over the hill, that relies on system services such as water being supplied as there is not enough local water, is doomed also.

They sell the LA place and have enough to move to the desert with money to spare.  Developers make massive sales and people mistakenly think they have improved their situation.  It meets Agenda 21 goals of keeping the people lumped together in cities and also ridding the country of people who are free and living in the country - (not allowed per Agenda 21).  Note I am not well versed on Agenda 21 and only know some of the stuff they want.

Above the LA Mountains was desert rat area.  Now it is desired by developers and one of the fastest growing areas in CA as the new rats abandon the sinking ship called LA.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl

I was at first outraged by the premise, then I got to reading the article and thinking about it.  This is Los Angelis County.  It has been one of the most developed areas in California history.  It even says they had this specific unit since the 70's.  Just because people built their houses 26 years ago, doesn't mean they weren't breaking the law at the time.  Just because they got away with it until now, you can't cry about it now.  They are lucky they haven't hit them with 25 years of fines and just take the land from them.  The "I've been living not in accordance with the law for 20 odd years and no one has enforced it before" generally isn't much of a defense when it comes to the law.
If I've been doing 100 mph down a highway for 20 years and the cops knew and didn't do anything.  I don't have the right to complain the day I get the ticket.  Ignorance of the law is not a defense to it.  Most people in the article knew or should have known of basic code laws and chose not to comply with them at the time.  Now they are surprised that the buildings they have aren't "grandfathered in" because they were never even legal at the time.

I find it interesting the paragraph on 'vacant' land.  Presumably the people never bothered to update their property status with the county to get away with not paying taxes or an increased assessment.  Now it is biting them in the rear.  They have almost no leg to stand on when challenging it then. 

I believe in personal freedom, but I also believe in the general democratic process.  I like how they have banded together to work politically to save their way of life. The state of PA overturned the sprinkler requirement within one term do to voter outrage. I do sympathize a little with how they are being targeted and the way the law is being enforced. Prosecuting these people criminally instead of using fines and liens seems very extreme.  There seems to be some extremes on both sides.

rwanders

There is some similarities to our early history-----the frontier was first settled by people much like the antelope valley folks. Then as the areas became more developed, those same pioneers often had to move a little farther out to feel comfortable again. That process is still happening today----even in Alaska you find the same story played out. The first "settlers", our american native peoples were the first to feel that pressure---seems to be an ingrained american trait or maybe it is just human nature.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida