Electrical Problem

Started by Redoverfarm, December 05, 2012, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I have a recessed light in my bathroom which has decided not to work. I have elminated the bulb,switch and lead hot wire as being the problem. It is a thermal protected pot which accepts the R-20 bulb. Is the thermal coupler for the lack of another description) replaceable or will I have to replace the complete pot. It is an IC housing. Not really accessible from the attic. The house is 16 years old.

ChuckinVa

John,
They are replaceable but one size does not fit all. Do you by chance have the manufacturer and model number from when you built the house? If so I can check and see if it is still available for you. Let me know.

CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ChuckinVa on December 05, 2012, 10:18:04 PM
John,
They are replaceable but one size does not fit all. Do you by chance have the manufacturer and model number from when you built the house? If so I can check and see if it is still available for you. Let me know.

CHUCK

I know there is a temperature rating.  I can look at the inside of the can and see if the information is on a tag inside. I am not sure Lowes would handle any of the thermal switches or not.  Had planned on heading down tomarrow for some other things so I will look.  If I can find one in a new canlight with a similar rating I might just pick one up and try to switch it out or worse come to worse replace the complete can. 

If I have power to and from the switch. It is either the socket or the thermal switch.  That is all that makes up the electrical portion of the light.  If the thermal swich is visible I should be able to see if there is current to and from it.  If not it has to be the thermal switch once I figure that power is passing through or whether the switch is preventing it.  Correct. 

ChuckinVa

Yes. Correct. Let me know if I can help.
Chuck
ChuckinVa

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ChuckinVa on December 06, 2012, 09:52:03 PM
Yes. Correct. Let me know if I can help.
Chuck

Problem solved Chuck.  Not sure what the exact problem was but it wasn't the thermal switch.  Apparently the electrician when cutting the wires in the box had nipped the lead for the light.  It was taped and when I was attempting to replace the switch ( push in terminals) the wire pulled apart.  I just had a shorter wire to work with and put the new swich in.  Then I thought I would check the socket tab to make sure it wasn't smashed.  I pulled it up a little inserted the bulb and presto it worked.  So it was one or the other but it's working again.  Just took a fresh prospective this morning to figure it out.  I has crawled around all day in the attic of the family room adding air baffles and insulation before checking it so I would imagine that fatigue was the major factor. ;D  I have a little more respect for the old coal miners after being up there for the last couple days.  A couple more days and I should be finished.

Thanks for your offer.

ChuckinVa

I'm glad you figured it out and that is wasn't the TU. I can only remember 1 or 2 failures in the time I have been selling recessed lighting.
CHUCK
ChuckinVa