Wood Windows

Started by Kri, March 05, 2008, 04:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kri

Has anyone had luck finding reasonably priced new wood windows?  Any recommendations?  Suggestions?  Words of wisdom?  Thanks!

Redoverfarm

Strickly wooden. I wouldn't even consider them.  But a wood clad window would be more to my likeing.  That way you would get the durability of vinyle or aluminum on the exterior and wood on the interior. As far as brands there are a lot out there.  Just have to start seeing what is in your price range and style you like.  But don't let the bottom price range affect your decision.  You only get what you pay for. I have had Andersons in my house for 14 years and they give good service. Aluminum clad outside w/ wood interior.   

MountainDon

I ditto that. I can remember all the scraping, etc, that went into maintaining old wooden windows. Never again for me. We have some Pella aluminum clad exterior and stained wood interior. Love 'em! But pricey.

We have some Better Bilt vinyl sliders that are going into the cabin. They are the almond colored ones; look like a light tan color.

Check locally. Sometimes you can find a local window company that can give you a quality window at a price better than Pella or Andersen.

But I wouldn't want a pure wood window. Too many bad memories.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CREATIVE1

Do you have any pictures of the almond windows you've installed, or any pictures of them on a cedar or wood stained house?  I'm considering them too.

MountainDon

They are in the garage here at home. Not installed yet. I could snap a photo and post one if you would like.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CREATIVE1

That's OK.  I do have some pictures, but not against wood and not from inside.  I think I like them better.

John Raabe

I have to say I like wood windows.

I'm even willing to paint and maintain real wood windows to get away from plastic and metal on the outside. (Three paintings since 1983)

We got a local company, Window Visions, to make our windows. The company has since been bought by Lindal Cedar Homes and I think they only make windows for in-house projects now.

If you can find a local window maker you may find you have more options at lower cost than with a national supplier shipping in from 3,000 miles away.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CREATIVE1

The problem with the "local" manufacturers is that they are more and more just selling through dealers.  I'm finding that to be true as I look for building materials in Washington.  If you know anyone who sells direct (metal roofing, cedar siding, etc.) please let me know.

williet

I looked at wooden windows and decided to go with a window that had a plastic trac and the rest was solid, not finger jointed, wood.

It's been so long ago that I can't remember the company that made them...but they were being carried by a local(at the time) lumber company...You can call Wilson Lumber Co. in Huntsville, Al and they will get the information for you. These were great windows and IF we get to build, I will still try to use them. The weren't expensive three years ago.

Ask for the window dept and tell them you want information on the solid wood windows they carry...The company that makes them is a national company...I just can't remember the manufacturer.