Building a near free RV storage garage

Started by glenn-k, January 28, 2006, 02:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Quote-- were you going to be able to check in from your project, Don :-?

Not at present, but we'll be back and forth during the week so I'll be able to keep up, as long as the backload doesn't get out of hand. But I do tend to stay up late.  :)  

glenn-k

Me too - no self discipline.  Must keep the forum moving though. ::)

MountainDon

'Tween you and me, and anyone else who reads this; this is one great forum.   :) I don't know how I came across it but it was a worthwhile "google" .

G'nite

glenn-k

Most of these are covered here in the threads but -- here is a link to my Photobucket Album after it was moved from Yahoo.

https://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/glennkangiser/Rammed%20Earth%20Garage/?start=0

Here is a little slide show.

jraabe

Most cool :)

And you work fast! What did that take? 5 seconds? :o

glenn-k

Not much longer than that -- maybe 10. :)

dtvperfect

Wow and Thanks!

I have accumulated a mass of material (steel beams, Old 6x6 from building tear down and such).

Using your example, I now have a plan for my material.  Utilizing compaction and slope of my land.  I too am going to do the 2 story garage.  Top will be "Pretty" for the wife, but the bottom floor (rear) for all my tractor attachments and such..  Out of site from the main driveway.  Your example filled in the blanks for me, which was what to do the walls in underground.  Poured concrete was too expensive.  This will work.  I hope to start this fall.

thanks Again!

glenn-k

Wow-- glad you could benefit from that. :)

Please post information and pictures of your project if possible.  

Welcome to the forum.

glenn-k

Expanding the area around the garage.  We now have some puppies that act like frisky little puppies.  Run through the garden -- run on top the house at 4:30am etc.  Too much energy. :-/

I needed to fence them out but in order to do that I had to put in the deck I was going to add onto the side of the garage and over to the carport.  If I didn't I would just have to tear the fence out again to do the deck so --today it was. :)

This was one of those smooth as glass projects.  Architect, engineering, permits, approvals (at least the ones I asked for)  including building it completely and passing all requested inspections took a total of about 6 hours.   ::):o ;D  

Total cost for materials was about $5.00 worth of nails, $2.00 diesel for the forklift.  $5.00 Chicken wire for safety netting between the hand rails.  About $10 worth of reject 2x4s from the lumber yard.  All of the rest of the materials were given to me.  Mike gave me the plywood from his project.  Highway contractor supplied the bridge timbers including delivering them.  Other 2x4s were given to me.  Nails were removed from bridge timbers by Sassy's son.

Slope on the deck was 1/2 / 12 to be comfortable to use but still drain water back for the trees and cactus.  Excess will be drained off by a drainage ditch

View from the cupola of the RV garage.

And view of the garage patio area roof just because I thought it looked cool.

I will put some kind of waterproof surface over it later -maybe plastic membrane and linseed oiled cob or possibly Jack Bays rubber slate if I can find the recipe again. :)

Total area of the deck is about 250 sf.

peg_688

How many and what kind? Puppies that is  ;) I see three , look like Sooner hounds of some type.  

glenn-k

There are 4 here now.  Heinz 57 with a good portion of Queensland Heeler -- Mother was a tall slim hyper dog - slight look of a
Whippet but larger -- Black and White.

They won't stay still long enough to get a good picture.

MountainDon

Give them each a bowl of ground meat and they'll stay glued to the bowl  :D

glenn-k

Here's one more of them, but they were barking at me because ai had the camera.  They will be fairly large I think - probably size of a German Shepherd  -- Sassy says the father was a Queensland Heeler / German Shepherd mix.

MountainDon

Uh.. Glenn... ya' know you can go back and edit your own posts by clicking on the "modify" link.... SLAP!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Nice pups.

glenn-k

Yeah -- but sometimes if others are viewing what I posted, I post a new one so that they will know I updated.  Otherwise they may not know I edited. ;D

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

Glenn are they hyper?  My son has an Aust  blueheeler. Smart but hyper and HARDHEADED.  This is his second one. First got on the road. I been working with a collar to keep him on the right side of the bridge.  Figured out that if the collar was on it's a nono but with it off it's ok.  Now if I can just get her to quit herding my daughter around nipping at her heels I will have mastered her.

glenn-k

Semi-hyper.  Not as bad as the mother, but plenty active.  They don't runn the countryside like some I have seen, but they do like to get up and 4:30am and start wildly romping and playing.  I will be continuing fencing them off the top of the house and garden today.  I have deer fence all around but it doesn't work with dogs. :-/  Not tight enough at the bottom...yet.

We are just getting them to quit jumping up on us...almost. :-/

Redoverfarm

Hard habit to break. Have you tried to step on their back feet when they jump up?  This seems to work fairly well. Don't have to stomp just let them know that it is unexceptable.  I have a friend who has a Golden Retriever that is really bad about that. But she jumps so fast you can't get to her feet and she's off.  He might try a collar but just as water does the person she has jumped on is a good conductor as well :o

glenn-k

We are getting the jumping down to almost acceptable now.  Today they tried to follow us down the road after we successfully got them fenced off the house and out of the garden.  I stopped the car - grabbed rocks and chased them back up the road to the house yelling and throwing rocks with the occasional contact.  That should have been enough to scare anybody.  The alternative is let them be pests and get shot or animal control after them.  

They were all home -- outside the garden when we got back.  They are still learning what is permitted and what is not. :-/

Redoverfarm

Glenn  I don't like to keep dogs tied up or in cages. But for now until this one knows where he is allowed to be and were not to be it will be confinement.  I live 1/4 mile from a busy road.  That got the second one.  First one was a Aust Shepherd (probably the best of three) multi colored but looked a little like a coyote at a distance.  Had the weirdest eyes. They were split colored blue and brown. Get this though one was split colored horizontal and the other verticle. Scary to look at in the face.  He was left loose until he paired up with a couple of bear dogs dropped off and followed them away. Haven't seen him since.

To listen to me you would think I am crazy about dogs. Not really but when you have a 12 yoa boy he just has to have a dog.

glenn-k

I've had dogs since I was little.  I haven't had one here for the last few years as I wasn't around enough part of the time, but am closer to home most of the time now so I'll give it a try again.  

The little guys did pretty good today  Located all of the holes for me to fix so maybe tonight they will let me get more than 4 hours of sleep.  Looks like they have the no jumping thing down a bit better tonight too. :)

I have to agree with you -- a dog that has to be tied up isn't able to do the job he is being paid to do.   :-/