DRYWALLING AN UNHEATED CABIN

Started by Amy Limbacher, February 20, 2005, 08:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy Limbacher

We are building an unheated cabin in Northern Michigan and are wondering if you can drywall such a place?  My husband heard that the seams will crack if not heated to a certain temp year around. If this is true, what can we do about the interior walls? Thanks for the help.

DavidLeBlanc

I am going to guess that you really mean an intermittantly heated cabin and not one that's never heated at all.

I can see how temperature cycling, and the attendant humidity cycling, could cause wallboard to crack at the seams - unless you can figure a way to hang the board "floating" so it can expand and contract and you can find a flexible taping compound.

As alternative, perhaps you've hit on the reason so many old cabin interior walls where covered with wood boards.

borgdog

My friends cabin, and many others, near where I will be building mine have drywall in various locations.  The bedrooms are all drywall, ceilings in other places, halls, etc.  We are in Cascade Mountains of central Washington, and for the 15 years since I helped my friend drywall his cabin, I have not seen nor heard of any problems with him only heating it every other weekend or so in the winter while he is there.