Our Build In Lincoln Co Mo

Started by garyc, February 20, 2015, 06:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyc

Quote from: astidham on September 11, 2015, 05:41:55 PM
you are making progress.. that tractor has a lot of uses. nice work

Thanks the tractor has come in handy but with a big price tag.   
If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.

garyc

Sorry about not posting in awhile. My funds starting to run dry and had some family issues that needed to be taken care of. Plus the wife and I are self -employed (We own a small retail store). Had to get ready for the Christmas season. I did get the barn tarped  for the winter time.   

The wife and I did spent a little time cleaning up the ground that is going to be our back yard.

I'm hoping that I can start back on the barn in the next couple of weeks.

garyc

I have a question! When I build the lean-to on the barn, I'm planning to use 6''X 6'' treated post every 9' with three 2''X 12'' yellow pine headers with 2''X 12'' rafters every 2' apart. Would it be a good idea to pour 12'' of concrete footers under the post to help support the weight? And should  I fill around the post with dirt or rock?   

Don_P

I seriously doubt you need 2x12 rafters, how far horizontally from barn wall to posts? 30lb/ft snow load?
Posts no more than 8' apart, this lets you "weave" 16' 2x12's for the header beam, helps tie that beam together. I'd add another post and refigure spacings if you can.
Footing dimension depends on the answers to the above and the soil bearing capacity, unless it is junk or soft clay it is usually assumed to be 2000lbs /sf capacity. So a 12"x12" footing can safely hold a ton without sinking (not much!) where a 2'x2' footing can hold 8000lbs, now we're getting somewhere. It needs to be thick enough that as it gets wider the post cannot "punch through". At 2'x2' I pour 1' thick and put 4 pcs of 18" long rebar 3" off the bottom in a # pattern. If the concrete is in the ground always have at least 3" of concrete around the steel, keep the oxygen out and it won't rust away anytime soon. Attach the post to the footing so when the tractor bumps the post it doesn't slip and when the wind gets under the shed it cannot lift it. Hurricane ties from rafter to beam, beam well attached to posts. Backfill with whatever, the barn provides lateral stability through the shed roof diaphragm, it's a rigid plate extending out from a braced building, the post footings are providing resistance to up and down only.

garyc

Don thanks for your reply! The rafter span will be about 18'4'' The building is 36' long so 9' would come out even spacing on the post. I was planning on using 18' 2''x12''. So with the max spacing of 8' apart I will have to add one more post . No big deal.  I could use 8' 12' &16' header beam to weave together. I was thinking of drilling 18'' wide holes X 36'' deep which comes out to be 1.8 sq-ft. 1.8 x 2000lbs = 3600lbs X 6 post = 21600lbs. With the sq-ft of the roof 20' X 39' including over hangs is 780 sq-ft X 40 lb per sq-ft (30 lb for snow & 10lb for dead) =31200lbs divided that in half = 15600lbs. Would this be good enough or should I go bigger? The ground is a hard red clay.     

Don_P

Post footings should be fine @6 posts, you're right there at 5 posts with an overhang, if you go that route I'd flare the bottoms.
Checking header at 9' post spacing, figuring 9' spacing x 10' rafter trib (~1' overhang) x 40psf=3600lbs
I'm getting a good pass at a double 2x12 header. Being a barn, if an engine or a cow is going to hang on that header then the third ply isn't a bad idea. Easy to overload farm buildings. The barn end of the rafters can see ~700 lbs plus whatever comes off the upper roof, connect that end well.

garyc

Well I finally got some time off! Got the post holes dug at  18'' dia  and put four bags of concrete in each one which gives me about a 16'' thick footing. Post are up and the header done with 3 2x12 at 9' apart. My son came out this Saturday and helped with the rafters which was a big help.  It's been getting really hot hear in Missouri in the last few weeks! Between 95 and 100 degrees so progress has been going really slow. I hope to have the metal on the roof by the end of July.   

Homesteader

like the barn style, are you keeping track of the cost/estimate to build. I moved up to Mark Twain lake back in 2011 from St Peters bought 9 acres and in the slow process building a 24x24 cabin. need to build a garage as well but looking at the barn your building thinking I should build the barn first then garage. Can't wait to see the cottage build.

garyc

Quote from: Homesteader on August 11, 2016, 02:54:48 PM
like the barn style, are you keeping track of the cost/estimate to build. I moved up to Mark Twain lake back in 2011 from St Peters bought 9 acres and in the slow process building a 24x24 cabin. need to build a garage as well but looking at the barn your building thinking I should build the barn first then garage. Can't wait to see the cottage build.

When I first drew up the plans on the barn the cost estimate came in at $29000.00 plus 10% or about $33000.00.With the changes I made during the build  the cost will be more like $35000.00 to $37000.00 the price includes concrete floors and concrete aprons on all three garage doors. I changed the doors on the lean-to to roll up doors instead of sliding doors.The overhangs will also be boxed in. If you would like to come by and see the build send me a private message and i will give you my cell # & directions on how to get there.

garyc

It's been awhile since I did a update! I did get the roof on before the end of July it's been so hot that I cant get a lot done . (95-105 degrees)   I hope to get the barn done by the end of the year so that i con start on the cabin.

garyc

Sorry i haven't posted in a wile! I did git a little bit done last fall and winter. Got the OSB finished on the sides and the soffit finished and the corner rake on.

I got my concrete floors done.

dablack

Looks great! 

Where did you get the scaffolding?

thanks
Austin

garyc

Quote from: dablack on April 19, 2017, 07:44:01 AM
Looks great! 

Where did you get the scaffolding?

thanks
Austin
The yellow scaffolding came from a friend of mine that was a fireman and part time brick layer that retired from both jobs so he sold them to me for $50 a section. His aluminum walk boards where in relay bad shape so i bought new ones at $120 a peace the walk boards cost more then the scaffolding. The red ones i borrowed from a friend that borrowed them from a friend that dose not wont them back. This barn is 26' tall! So the scaffolding came in real handy ex specialty when you are doing a lot of the work by your self. 

dablack

Sounds like a great deal!  My house is 26' tall too.  That was why I was asking.  I'm going to need some good scaffolding to finish the siding. 

Don_P

Very nice  :)
Like every other barn, it looks like you need another one for all the stuff that seems to find its way to the barn  :D