which do you thing is cheaper?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, November 14, 2007, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

glenn-k

That guy was a bit old to try cleansing the gene pool, but possibly his efforts were well directed.

I can't even imagine doing that -- not even with my weird mind. :o

Homegrown_Tomatoes

The funniest part was that he did this while completely sober!  I can't imagine what he must've been thinking.  The worst my husband's ever done is use one of my garden tools as a cheater bar trying to the get the lug nuts off my old truck, and he bent the tool all to pieces before he was done.

glenn-k

I have beat the hood of a '58 Ford with a jack handle and put a giant crease in it, but not in such a way that I could injure myself -- that I recall. :-/

Homegrown_Tomatoes

QuoteI have beat the hood of a '58 Ford with a jack handle and put a giant crease in it, but not in such a way that I could injure myself -- that I recall. :-/
Was this to get the hood open, or just out of aggravation?

When I was a little kid, my dad worked at a body shop in downtown OKC, and because he loves money, he'd work through the weekends, even on the rare weekends he'd agree to let me come visit.  One day when I was probably around 7 he sent me several blocks away to get donuts and when I got back to the shop, I got the bright idea to use the "employees only" manlift instead of walking up three stories of ramps.  He'd shown me how to operate it and let me ride it with him, but he'd also told me not to use it alone.  Being a typical 7-year-old kid, I decided to do it anyway, figuring he couldn't see the lift from his work station.  Well, because I had the bag of donuts and was trying to balance them and stand on the little platform, somehow my overall leg got stuck in the chain that drove the lift, and meanwhile, my opposite arm got caught in the rope that turned the lift on... in a matter of a few seconds, I was hanging upside down by the pant leg, three stories above ground, and still tightly hanging on to my little bag of donuts...I'd managed to get the machine stopped, but was still in a bind, not to mention, a tremendous amount of pain.  I didn't dare make a sound because I knew the pain I was in was nothing compared to what I would be in if Dad caught me.  I did a sit-up and managed to untangle the leg of my overalls, carrying the bag of donuts in my teeth, and then climbed back down the chain to the level of the third floor.  Thankfully, if he ever noticed the grease all over my overalls, he must have thought it just came from playing in a body shop... and I was really careful to wear long pants the rest of the weekend so that he didn't see the black and blue bruises all over my legs.... THAT was one of those ideas that seemed like a good one at the time.   ;)

glenn-k

Wow - a regular Catwoman there.  Even do your own stunts.

I hit the Ford with the jack handle because I was having a temper tantrum and it had done something I didn't approve of. :-/

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Did you beat it into submission? ::)  Grown men having temper tantrums can be pretty dangerous (sometimes even to themselves...)  A certain fella I know busted a hole clear through the wall (both layers of sheetrock) having one of those fits... and he broke his hand to boot.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

QuoteWow - a regular Catwoman there.  Even do your own stunts. :-/

It is precisely the reason I'm a bit obsessive about keeping an eye on my kids... I figure I'll be paying for my raising and my husband's.  They were playing outside on Monday and I ran in and back out, and looked for my oldest, and she was 2/3 of the way up a tall fir tree peeking out of a clearing.  Thankfully she got down without getting hurt and I didn't have to scale the tree!!!

Sassy

I remember those days - my oldest was probably 3 when I found him at the top of a tall tree in our backyard - I think that was when I got the ladder out - the ground was rather uneven - helped my son down - then I went down & the ladder tipped over & I went flying onto the rocks below that were part of the landscaping around the tree  :-/  but then it could have been another time... he was climbing out of his crib at 1 y/o & would take his clothes off, open the front door & go out riding on his hotwheels in the street - we finally had to get a chain lock on the door... (we lived on a little cul-de-sac out in the country so traffic wasn't bad...  :-/  )

Homegrown_Tomatoes

;D  Ever since the kids saw a rabbit get hit by a truck in front of our house one time, they're really good about staying out of the street, thankfully.  However, I'm always afraid that a social worker is going to show up at my front door because some neighbor has seen the kids streaking outside when it's rather chilly a few times. :-[   In fact, last week on a morning it was about 40 degrees, I'd stripped my younger one out of her PJ's and told her to go upstairs and get some clothes... well, we put a windchime on the back door so that it is impossible to open that door without hearing the chimes.  She waited until I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and escaped, and for whatever reason, I didn't hear the door.  A few minutes later she comes in to me with a ripe cherry tomato (some of the tomatoes that are tangled in with the nasturtiums  have actually survived up until now).  I asked her where she got it, and she said, "I picked it for ya!"  (I knew full well the only tomatoes I had inside were the big ones... and her hands were freezing.)  I told her not to go back outside until she had clothes on.  Two minutes later, she came back in with another cherry tomato for me, and she was still naked as a jaybird.   ::)  See... this is why we need 40 acres of elbow room... so my kids won't be flashing people!   9 times out of 10, if they're out in the yard playing, it also involves water, no matter how cold the weather is.  We have a video of my older one when she was just around a year old, in January, playing in a mudpuddle in the back alley.  It may have been 30 degrees that day, and she'd gone out to "help" daddy with the chickens and the dogs, and gotten completely sidetracked when she saw the puddle.  Those poor sweats she was wearing (as well as the little white canvas shoes) were never the same after being soaked in frozen clay... we had to drag her back inside even though she should have been freezing!  

Sassy

;D ;D ;D  I have some pix of my kids in Washington - you know, where it rains all the time  ::)  Whenever there was a slight break in the weather, if I wasn't working, I'd take the kids outside for a walk or to play, whatever, they would be covered with mud from their heads to their feet, I'd just have to rinse out their clothes outside before washing them.  

My kids were the same way - loved the freedom of au naturel  :-/

Homegrown_Tomatoes

When I was in labor with my second daughter, the older one dislocated her elbow while we were at the hospital.  She was playing patty cake with my sister and dislocated her elbow when she lunged at my sister.  Anyway, she ended up in x-ray while I was in labor.  The funny thing is that she remembers it being me, not my sister, that she was playing with!!!  Well, we were eating out one day when she loudly asks, "Mom, remember that time you broke my arm?  When you were having Evannie and you broke my arm?"  People were staring at this point.  I said, "Cori, you've never had a broken arm... you had a dislocated elbow, but you did it playing with Aunt Theresa when we were at the hospital."  Boy, the looks I was getting at this point!  Cori got indignant and shouted at the top of her lungs, "YOU DID TOO BREAK MY ARM!!!  IT WAS YOU!!!  AND THEY WRAPPED IT IN A BIG BANDAGE AND GAVE ME SOME MEDICINE!!!"  At this point, my husband is trying to get the check so we can leave, and any attempt to get her to tone it down a little only resulted in more yelling.... I am surprised that she remembers it at all, seeing as she was only 18 months old when it happened.   I thought sure that someone in that restaurant was going to call the cops on us before we could get out of there... she did this when she was three, and we were in a suburb of Chicago, where everyone seems suspicious of everyone else.  :-[ Every once in a while she'll still bring up the time that I "broke her arm" and always in a public place, but thankfully I've learned to just say, "Yup, I remember" instead of arguing with a 4-year-old who obviously can out-debate me.

Sassy

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Nope... this is the same child who, when I told her yesterday we aren't moving, said, "What?"  when I told her that they'd hired the other guy, she said, "Forever?  Why!!!????  Were they drinking alcohol when they made that decision????"  She makes life very interesting.  Now her little sister is learning her tricks, too, and today when a lady came to pick up some stuff I'd posted on freecycle, the little one said, "Mom, I heered her just like a daddy.  She doesn't heered like a lady."  The gal had a really deep, husky voice.  Thankfully, I don't think the woman "heered" her.  (She suddenly has started getting hear and sound mixed up, and having trouble with irregular verbs that she hasn't had before... but then at the same time her vocabulary is expanding quickly,so maybe that's why.)

glenn-k

You expect a 2 year old to get her irregular verbs right, Homegrown? :-?

I can't even get my regular ones right. ;D

StinkerBell

I am thinking its time to pullout the "SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK" cd set I have.

"Conjunction junction what's your function?"

:)

Homegrown_Tomatoes

The girls prefer the "Schoolhouse Polka" :D the Homophones song and What Happened to my Preposition?

Whether- whether
whether-whether
whether you like it or not :D
Weather, weather
weather, weather
weather is cold, warm or hot.

glenn-k

Was that your own preferred method of study, Stink?

Good thing I have a spell checker or I'd look pretty stupid. :-/