Furniture

Started by Daddymem, November 06, 2007, 01:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddymem

We're looking to get a living room upgrade.  Sticker shock has set in from looking at what we want which is a sectional sofa.  It seems to make the most sense with our open floor plan and small living room so that we get maximum seating in a small space.  Got me thinking...build a house, why not build the sofa too.  Any resources out there you can point us to for such an endeavor?  We're thinking perhaps a u-shape or L-shape with storage under the cushions.  Simple, comfort the biggest thing.  We've got a great place to get foam and an awesome master of sewing to help with the covers, I just need some ideas and information to come up with some plans.  Angle between back and seating surface, width of seating surface, stuff like that.  Anybody?  Or any other ideas? (yes, we can Google with the best of them, we're looking for personal experience from others, thanks)

Danke in advance.

MountainDon

I made a sofa many years ago. We used it for about ten years and then sold it off when we inherited a really nice leather sofa we loved. We still have that.  :)

The biggest problem / expense was getting nice, solid, well sewn cushions for it.

As for sizing it, the depth of the seat, seat height and angle, back angle, back height, we visited a furniture store with loads of showroom space and sat in a whole bunch of them, took measurements and went from there. I also had a book with guidelines, but they allow a little variance for persoanl preferences.

I don't have any readily accessible pictures. It had turned legs and arm rest spindles, wood arms (pine) and a real "country" look. The seat and back cushions were supported by slats salvaged from shipping pallets. Nice sturdy stuff and hidden anyways. Painted them flat black, the remainder stained a dark walnut. We don't do dark anymore. That was a phase when some of the furniture was walnut stained wooden Pepsi crates.  ::)  It's surprising what could be done with them.  8-)  Dark stain to hide the lettering.

G/L

glenn-k

Sounds like a good idea, Daddymem.

The only piece of advice I can give you is from making my fine high quality mud conversation pit circular seating area.

Find a chair you like the feel of and use it for style and dimension ideas.  

That's about all I can think of. :)

StinkerBell

Bean Bags, do I need to say more?

glenn-k

Bring some over, Stink -- we'll cook them up. ;D

Daddymem

Bean bags were overruled already.  I even had this groovy 70's book that has some cool couches made of just fabric...maybe I'll try that again :P

glenn-k

Cool, man.  ::)

I'm sure it'll be far out when you get it done. :)

StinkerBell

Make Crate furniture, it looks great in a cabin. I purchase one piece from this company

http://www.thisendup.com/catalog.htm/1/42.htm

(take a look)

Made additional pieces  myself, it is real easy and can be made with pine and last almost forever, it does weigh a ton.

Sassy

QuoteI
That was a phase when some of the furniture was walnut stained wooden Pepsi crates.  ::)  It's surprising what could be done with them.  8-)  Dark stain to hide the lettering.

G/L

I remember those days... had some of those myself  :)  If you didn't have any money, they worked out really well & gave you that "country look" - I think mine were made out of fruit crates...

Daddymem

QuoteMake Crate furniture, it looks great in a cabin. I purchase one piece from this company

http://www.thisendup.com/catalog.htm/1/42.htm

(take a look)

Made additional pieces  myself, it is real easy and can be made with pine and last almost forever, it does weigh a ton.
That's not a bad look there.  With all the wood visible in our home we are leaning towards more fabric to soften things but simple lines and a fabric color that "pops" would work too. Thanks.

StinkerBell

Well what you could do is after you build it cover it with foam then cover with cloth. Then after a few years when your tired of the look, you can peel off repeat or go for the wood look.

glenn-k

QuoteWell what you could do is after you build it cover it with foam then cover with cloth. Then after a few years when your tired of the look, you can peel off repeat or go for the wood look.

My eyes read what you wrote, Stink, but my mind said to cover it with a loin cloth.  I had to re-read it. :-/

StinkerBell

You still blame Eve, don't ya?

;)

glenn-k

It was directly her fault without question, but then Adam was a tightwad.  Possibly if he'd given the arm and the leg rather than bargaining for what he could get for a rib,  she wouldn't have tempted him --and now we are stuck with the clothing problem -- fig leaf -- loin cloth -- suit. :(.

StinkerBell

tsk tsk tsk tsk.....

Not at all Eve's fault, ADAM added to God's word and told her not only not to eat but not to touch, God only said not to eat the forbidden fruit. Adam was in charge of Eve and therefore he showed her the ropes of the garden. He probably being a man and all said do not eat the fruit, as a matter of fact do not touch the fruit or you will die...Now, that serpent knew this and used it. He told her to touch the fruit, she was surprised she didn't die. So if Adam was wrong about that he must be wrong about eating such a good fruit. NOT only that he watched her, for he was right there watching the whole thing going down with the serpent.......

glenn-k

See how sometimes , in the tradition of Eve, women twist things around a bit to make their point, Stink?  A poor simple man doesn't stand a chance. ::)

Should I stop now? :-? ;D

StinkerBell

I suggest rereading Gods instructions to Adam, He never said not to touch the fruit.  ;) I have brought this to the attention of many.

Sassy

Not only that, Stinkerbell, there he (man-Adam-Glenn) goes again blaming it on the woman!!!  ::) ;D ;)

glenn-k

I really don't think that it was God's intent for her to be able to fondle the fruits at least on that tree. :o :)

glenn-k

You yourself said it.   :)  

The touching the fruit wasn't the cause of the problem now was it?  I think she may have been able to touch it all she wanted.

Hey, Daddymem -- How about fabric with a nice fruit print for your couch? :)

StinkerBell

Then why would she say that "They/We" are forbidden to even touch it? Unless she added on and this was the first case of the "Royal We".....But then why would one be allowed and not the other?

StinkerBell

I think an animal print is so much better then a fruit print. Also a disco ball.

glenn-k

Possibly a nice reptile print?

Maybe Adam knew she was a bit mischievous  so he told her not to touch it for her own good.  It would have been a smart move on his part -- and where was the reference that makes you think he added no touching to it?  I just see the no touchy part. :)

StinkerBell

I admit there is no reference to the no touchy rule by Adam. However, We know God directly talked to Adam. He said not to eat the fruit. This was a direct conversation. Now with Eve, she says that God has said no touchy no eat. There is not a direct conversation with God to Eve. The question then is why would she say this? Did she add to God's word? That does not seem logical, however if Adam told her the no touchy rule that makes sense.  Despite that, Adam was right there why did he not smack the fruit from her hand? He was willing to watch her and see what would happen. SHAME ON ADAM SHAME ON ADAM.

glenn-k

I found it but I assume that Adam. being perfect before he was drawn into temptation just had more information that had not been recorded so he lovingly passed it on in her best interest. :)