20x24 Log cabin with loft - built from white pines from our property

Started by Remington760-308, November 02, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocono_couple

Hey there.. totally impressed with what you guys have done - particularly with the involvement of your kids..   when one of my students does something nice in class, I acknowledge the deed with   " your mom brought you up right.."     you guys are certainly bringing up your kids right!    Both you and they will cherish the memories of working together ..   jt

Remington760-308

Thank you for the compliments pocono_couple. We try and teach our kids that hard work pays off. Sometimes you have to go above and beyond to make things right.  Our kids enjoy working most of the time on projects. We try to keep it interesting for them - also make them do it Right. They don't have any electronics at camp. We want camp to be fun-liveable-functional. We try to make everything we can. We have been recycling old boards and material that we have lying around or have been given. My son loves building things. He started building squirrel traps out of 1x6 lumber i had laying around. He caught 3-4 squirrels and a skunk or 2.

pocono_couple

ok.. so i have to ask.. what does he do with the squirrels?   last Christmas, my son called me in the morning to tell me that he  shot a squirrel .. and that he was adding squirrel quesidia  to the Christmas menu.. that turned out to be a bit of a surprise, but I was on board with the idea..   not so sure about skunk quesidia though! 

Remington760-308

He lets the squirrels go. The skunk went for a long deep swim in a pond. He keeps the population of Red squirrels down around here. He has skinned a few out. Have yet to eat one though.

Remington760-308

:)Went to camp this weekend. Must have been an Eastern storm. We had water come in the back windows and under the pine floor. We had to cut a few trees to get to camp. Good thing I brought my Husky with me. We had some visitors come visit. Thanks Mark - Laurie - Shannon - Jimmy for the visit and helping with finishing the back porch roof. Cross that off the list of things to be completed. My son and I finished grouting the tile floor in the entryway and under the wood stove.We had a couple of trees fall at camp. Cut them up for fire wood. Put kitchen cabinet doors on. Installed screen door on the front of camp. Rained off and on Sunday. We where planning on an ATV ride but that got put on hold till next weekend. My wife cleaned and bleached /scrubbed the bathroom walls.  My dog has his own COT bed

new land owner

Remington760-308

Jarrett making a little more parking - for the trailers and wheelers. Bentley was waiting patiently for Jarrett to come back up the driveway with some stone.Friday night sky was a pretty shade of red. The picture doesn't do it justice.I brought up some ball field sand mix for a horseshoe pit. I had 2300 lbs in my 1/2 ton Chevy. Dragged a few times with the trailer jack on the way in.  We had company this weekend and they helped with wood for this hunting season.Worked really well using the ranger to go get the wood and my tractor sitting next to place to split it and stack it..

dablack

Looks great! 

How wide and thick are the pine floors?  Where did you get it?

thanks
Austin

Remington760-308

The pine flooring is 1 x 12" planks. I bought them from a local lumber yard. I have about $350-400 into them. We put 3 coats of water based poly on them with a mole hair roller. THANKS

Remington760-308

;DFinally broke down and bought a reliable portable generator. Bought a Yamaha 2000i. Looks at the reviews and it is the same as the Honda 2000i but easier to change the oil. And it can be rebuilt. Features are the same. The plus side is I got $100 in Cabelas bucks to use and I redeemed $667.00 in Cabelas points. So I actually ended up getting the generator for $240+-...... ;D c*
Now the wife can have her coffee in the morning and I can return the big generator that I have been using from a friend.

Remington760-308

We went to camp this past weekend and got a lot done. We finally have running water. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DWe dug 3 test holes before we got a hole that we think will supply water. We dug a hole put a 20" culvert in on top of 12" of stone - inserted 3/4" water line and started digging. We put in 450' of line from culvert to the well tiles I had 100' from camp. We plumbed it so we could use the colvert or have the culvert fill the well tiles and gravity feed from there. The only bad thing about using the well tiles is there isn't much water pressure. We may have to run a pressure pump. I also had him make my food plot just  a little bigger. I made a fire wood rack from 2 old pallets / and put a top on it so we can use it for a shelf/table.Made a bench for shoes.GOTTA HAVE A GUN RACK. I made it and my son burnt it with a torch.put some skirting up to keep the wind and critters out from under neath ....The wife is done bleaching IT IS NOW CLEAN>Have a few critters on the game camera- Have about 20 pictures of a rabbit/ a few pics of a raccoon /moose/bear and a couple deer.

Remington760-308

;D went to camp this weekend. We found an old clearing that was loaded with rubs last weekend.  We went back this weekend and set up a ladder stand with a hang on beside it for youth weekend. We woke up to mid 30 degree weather. By the time we where done it was snowing. Finished up the elec. for upstairs. We now have lights and 2 outlets.... We also caught 1 mouse while we were there...

pocono_couple

things have come along very nicely -  how far up in NH?   i used to live in wolfeboro..  my son  and daughter are in the plymouth area..   don't get up to visit often enough, but it is always a treat to head up that way!  jt

pmichelsen

Post some pictures of your pits if you've finished them, love to see what fellow pitchers have done.

Remington760-308

Pocono couple -  The camp is close to 2 hours further  north. Thank. We have been hunting lately. Done some small projects inside camp. Horse shoe pits never got finished. Next year project.  We now have lights upstairs. Even though they are roughed in. Chinked the inside with fiberglass insulation  to keep the lady bugs and flies  out. Caught 2 more mice.

Remington760-308

Haven't posted in a while. Have been working on a few things this winter. Made a 2" thick counter top for bathroom sink. Made sink cabinet out of hard wood pallet. Used a stainless bowl for sink. The wife just put a coat of poly on it. I have also been working on a new center post. It is Spruce. It has a bunch of burls on it. Have it half done. Debarking it with my homemade spud tool made from a truck spring ground down. Works excellent. Also use a grinder with knot wheel on it. My son and I made 2 4x4 hunting blinds. Just got to get permission from a land owner to put them on his land. Don't think it will be a problem though. Bought a mechanical thumb for my backhoe so  can clean up the sides of the driveway (rocks).    Bought an on demand propane  hot water heater Marey brand $229.00.  The neighbors have one and it works excellent. HOT SHOWERS😆👍. GETTING EXCITED TO GO BACK TO CAMP.....

Remington760-308

Remington760-308

Photobucket isn't working can't show pics.. keeps shutting down computer....when i get it figured out i will be posting pictures of the new center support post.... sealed up the outside logs.... bathroom sink....hot water assembly..... food plot....

dmlsr

I just came across your post. are you done you place??

ihad the 20x24 in weare nh. have not been on here in along time
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

OlJarhead

Pretty quiet in here these days but some of us still check in ;)

I do videos now instead of text posting but it's still me working on the cabin all these years later (not this thread mind you).

Cheers
Erik