Getting started finally

Started by Crappie Slayer, June 14, 2011, 10:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

I tried to post some pics of my property that I accuired last week and they did not work, so hopefully some one will help me out with the pic problem., although I have another one of greater importance, lol

I am going to be digging the holes for my peirs in a day or two and I need advice on how to make them all in a perfect row?

I have the site staked off and everything is square, and I have marked all the locations for the peirs I just want to make sure that when I set the tubes I obviously want them all to be in line with one another, any imput on this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris

muldoon

if your floorplan is a rectangle, your dealing with 4 lines.  You indicated you had them squared off, use string on the stakes.  You may need to add some additional stakes a foot or so back from your final "true" dimensions to get these string lines in place.  For squaring, measure from one corner diagonally to the other, then that measurement should be the same on the other diagonal line.  As for the post holes, they will be in the center of the string line that runs your four lines. 

I looked around google, and this was the bet picture I could find...  hope it helps. 

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Crappie Slayer on June 14, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
I tried to post some pics of my property that I accuired last week and they did not work, so hopefully some one will help me out with the pic problem., although I have another one of greater importance, lol

I am going to be digging the holes for my peirs in a day or two and I need advice on how to make them all in a perfect row?

I have the site staked off and everything is square, and I have marked all the locations for the peirs I just want to make sure that when I set the tubes I obviously want them all to be in line with one another, any imput on this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris

Chris the only true way is to use "batter boards".  and string line.  If you are using piers rather than a perimeter footer then this is the location to set your batter boards ( one set for each end of your parrallel strings and a set across the ends).  You will need to square the four points to each other where the intesection of the parrallel lines meet your end strings.  Once these are established then you can measure from the ends to get a location of your intermediate piers.  You set your batter boards to heigth of your piers and with the string lines taunt to make sure that all of the piers are correct with each other.  You can set the elevation either by a builders level or water level.  I have found that the best way to mark the intermediate piers is to use a "stick pin" through the string line. 

Here is a illustration to help you   http://www.google.com/search?q=batter+boards&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSNA_enUS401US401&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Eon4TfGuDJStgQf0r5SIDA&ved=0CBkQsAQ&biw=1090&bih=466