New Tiny Home

Started by alexkgore, December 16, 2010, 01:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff922

Building an ultra-small home in an attempt to save money is a foolish plan in my opinion.  Building materials (particularly unpretentious materials) are CHEAP.  To really save money there are only two ways to go:

1)  Do it yourself - labor is super expensive jacking up cost by at least 50% (this is why we don't make anything in the USA anymore)

2)  Choose your building site carefully - for many (most?) of us, site development is the largest expense.

A) excavation usually costs around $100/hr - it adds up really quick
    B) septic systems are expensive and if your site needs a complex system be prepared to pay out the nose  
    C) don't forget survey, well, utility poles, tree removal, gravel, permits...

To add 400-500 sq feet to a floor plan does not add a significant cost to the building material list in the grand scheme of a building project.
That said, we chose to build as small as we could tolerate for, primarily, environmental reasons.  Heating costs are a big factor up here in Maine and any excess square footage that can be trimmed helps.  Also, large Mcmansion-type trophy homes gobble up far too many mature trees in the building process (another thing we know about here in Maine).  I love the concept of small living - it forces us to examine the "need vs. want" issue directly and keep our consumption to a minimum.  So build small, just do it for the right reasons.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

bayview

Sarah's concept triggered a brain cell and it reminded me of the HabitaFlex folding trailer home . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

phalynx

Just think of how cheap a home could be if you got rid of all of the taxes, fees, surveys, inspections, insurances, etc......  Not saying cut corners, but if all of these things were absent, the homes would be just about 1/2 the cost.

Why not start a fee free movement or a no government movement?

alexkgore

bayview
The "HabitaFlex folding trailer home" video is very similar to an idea Lance and Sarah was thinking. Thanks for posting that! Check out his design. www  dot  blakestinyhouse  dot  com/lances-sketches.html

As for the cost comment your right, building smaller cost way more per sq. ft. This project is not about saving money per sq ft. But about living your life in a different way. The project will also be built on a trailer so excavation will not be an issue.

Glenn -
One Lady who I think lives in Washington State is living in an elderly friends back yard. She helps her older friend take care of things around the house and in exchange lives in the backyard. Another option could be to get kids out of the house. It is tough for some College and High School graduates to find their first place of employment. They then resort to living with their parents (not always the best option for a long period of time).  Maybe they should live in the back yard and take their tiny home with them when they find a job. A lot of younger (and older) people have friends all over the country. They could live in the tiny home until they get their feet under them. Blake, along with many of our friends, lives in South Dakota and has family in North Dakota. Rules up there are... how should I say it... less existent (depending on where you are).  But we are just beginning to explore these issues so let us know if you have any more thoughts.

glenn kangiser

I could see it in the situations you mention.

Around here it is tolerated until someone calls attention to it, then the parasites jump on it to look important.

Example ... A customer had a young lady of little means who wanted to rent their 5th wheel trailer for a modest fee.  They lit up the propane fridge and it  in a short time lit up the 5th wheel causing a small half acre or so fire.  The local hated newspaper reporter for our mountain fish wrapper went in and made the owner sound like a criminal so, the parasites jumped on it and kicked another senior citizen out of another place on the property - trailer under a Ramada.

Note that these places were not junky looking or run down.  Just people trying to stay alive on a modest retirement income or little income.

Nice idea but problematic.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

This is an old Tiny House project that long-time forum members have already seen: http://www.countryplans.com/cottage.htm

This is a no plumbing, no wiring backyard retreat cottage on a simple pier foundation. It was used for about two years by my (then) teenage sons living there at different times. Now used for storage but still holding up well.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

HoustonDave

Ok I give...does the deck/porch fold and stow against the side????

That is pretty cool.
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

bayview

Quote from: HoustonDave on December 20, 2010, 07:55:00 PM
Ok I give...does the deck/porch fold and stow against the side????

That is pretty cool.

Yes!

http://www.webbsrvcenter.com/19006.html

/.

alexkgore

You guys are awesome. I really like that Tiny Cabin. Hopefully the team and I can produce some videos for you guys this week. I look forward to jumping into the details after that and hearing what you think.

bayview

:) :) :)

/.

alexkgore

Blake's Tiny house Polling results are in!

Thanks to everybody who visited Blake's Tiny House and participated in our first design voting poll!  We received 102 votes in all.

What's next you might ask?  Well, over the next week we will be doing a pro vs. con analysis of each design concept as well as considering the poll results in order to formulate a more cohesive design concept with a few variables added.  During this process please check back often as there will be more voting polls and blog posts to gather more input from all of the visitors of Blake's Tiny House.

Find the tally at: www  dot  blakestinyhouse  dot  com/tiny-blog.htm

bayview

Quote from: alexkgore on December 30, 2010, 09:42:32 AM

What's next you might ask?  Well, over the next week we will be doing a pro vs. con analysis of each design concept as well as considering the poll results in order to formulate a more cohesive design concept with a few variables added.  During this process please check back often as there will be more voting polls and blog posts to gather more input from all of the visitors of Blake's Tiny House.

alexgore:  

When you are finished designing, studying, poking and prodding . . .    Are you going to build your project?  

The concepts you have provided are quite modern . . .   Are they a practical solution?   Expanding walls, rotating toilets, fold-out patios are all ingenious.   But, I would imagine expensive to actually build.

Are you not limiting yourselves by working with only 4 models?   Are you open to new ideas?

You might want to consider opening up your competition by allowing others to participate with their ideas.   It might be interesting if others could contribute with their floor plans, etc. . . 

/.

bayview

The dream of owning a tiny mobile home isn't new . . .    Seems to have been around for decades.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/04/26/mobile-home-expands-to-form-three-rooms/

/.

Stein

Quote from: bayview on December 31, 2010, 02:11:15 PM

alexgore:  

When you are finished designing, studying, poking and prodding . . .    Are you going to build your project?  

I was wondering the same thing when I read this thread.  Is this just a design exercise?

alexkgore

Hello all, Yes we will be building the Tiny House, probably around the beginning of summer. Bayview I like your idea of opening up the design to others. I will bring up your suggestion. I don't know if there would be enough people interested. But if you have an Idea or Sketch and want it posted, send it to my email. Also The Tiny House crew will be blogging and posting designs every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday starting Monday the 10th. I'll put links on this forum. Here is the breakdown:

TUESDAYS : Design Days - We will be posting new and interesting ideas under a new yet to be determined tab.
WEDNESDAY: Thoughts and ponderings on what it means to live in a tiny house and take on the tiny house philosophy will be discussed in the Wednesday's article of the week.
FRIDAY: Find something Cool Friday will consist of an interesting article, website, or video that will be posted on the Blog. This will often relate to something happening on or to Blake's Tiny House.

Feel free to drop us suggestions. First suggestion: we should have a suggestion box. We will work on that, but for now post a comment on any of the blog posts and we will be alerted to your interesting and insightful suggestion or comment.

alexkgore

Blake Has made his list of demand. Here is the article below. It can also be seen at: blakestinyhouse  dot  com/tiny-blog.html. What do you think are the positives or negatives so far. Lance and Alex will now be designing a new version of Blake's Tiny House based off of his comments.

Many have commented on the design concepts on Blake's Tiny House and quite a few have voted as well.

Since I am shifting to more of a client and critic role, I thought I would give my opinions/comments on the designs:

Transformers (or Blake's Megatron House)
Some of the designs have featured really unique ways in which the tiny house can be transformed or modified.  This is a particularly fun concept and it is surprising element in that is not typical of tiny houses.   It is a great away to expand or create unique spaces.

It does, however, present some technical and cost challenges.  In order to make the transformational elements a reality, I think the tiny house needs to be fully function without them, but can pick up "bonus" space once they are employed.   Otherwise, the transformation seems a bit gimmicky.  Also, I think a "fold down" or "fold up" approach seems easier to tackle than something which "pops out."

Green Strategies
There have been many comments regarding what green design strategies have been incorporated on the Tiny House.   It is our wish to incorporate as many simple and effective green design strategies as possible.   I think it would be best to look more passive strategies as opposed to active ones, as typically these are more cost effective, which is important with our tight budget.  In order of importance, I feel the following green strategies would the most benefit, in order of importance:

1.       Passive daylighting
2.       Passive heating/ventilation and Water Heating
3.       Mini roof or vertical garden; mini greenhouse
4.       Rainwater collection

Vertical and Roof Space
All of the designs used vertical space to some degree—mainly for a lofted bed.  This is great, as vertical space is kind of a freebie—more usable space without increasing the area of the footprint.  However, I think we can become more creative than just a lofted bed.  Just to throw out some possibilities: additional open shelving or a mini-herb garden above the kitchen area.

Also, I think a roof balcony is another area where there is space to take advantage...

Surprise Factor / Simple Interior
All of the designs have some type of surprise factor:  Lance's can fold down, Sarah's has pop out wings, and Alex's has movable interiors.  The one idea I really liked about my design is the difference between the outside and inside.  On the exterior, the tiny house appears as a boring ice fishing house.  But walk inside and it changes to a curved ceiling that allows in dappled light.  It is a simple, but I think dramatic and comfortable effect.  It basically that old phrase of, "Don't judge a book by it's cover..." which I think can be very powerful.

Sofa
As someone had posted...there definitely needs to be a sofa.  We'll make it fit somehow.

Native_NM

Don't rule out something like this for a small, portable, building:

http://www.willscot.com/cgi-bin/act_location-lookup.cgi

If that link does not work, try this one:

http://www.willscot.com/clearance/index.php?section=mo

Enter your zip code and view the results.  In Albuquerque, for example, one can buy a 56x12 office for $10,000.  Smaller ones are $5K.  This is on a chasis, full electric HVAC, with a NM stamp for modular building.  They are actually built identical to a standard, framed home.  They meet the latest UBC code.  We bought a building for work, which had plumbing for a bath.  We gutted it, added partition walls, updated the electric and bath, towed it to our work site, dropped it on a semi-perm foundation, and had a 720' office for less than $30,000 all-in.  The moving was about $2K, inlcuding the assistance with the foundation.  Our costs were for commercial-grade products.

The inspector came out, looked at the foundation drawings, verified the stamp and plans, and issued a CO in 30 minutes.  Our cost was ~$40 per foot for essentially a brand-new space, as we put in new floors, windows, doors, etc.  For our business it works great.  The whole time we were doing it I was thinking of just buying one for a cabin.  I could replace the siding with something woodsy, add some trusses with a couple dormers for a steeper, pitched roof, and have a nice place for very little, with the added benefit that I could work on it in my commercial yard in town, then just have it moved to a final site.  I actually drew up a budget and figured I could be all-in for $20K for a 12' x 44'. 

Something to think about....

The guy we worked with had pictures of people who have put two together - for example two 10' wide units into a 20' x 40'. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

bayview

Native_NM:

I don't think they are wanting to build something traditional. . .    I think they would like something unique with a contemporary look.   With unusual "bells and whistles".   Like folding and hinged exterior walls, rotating toilets, movable kitchens with rotating cabinets, collapsing furniture, sleeping lofts . . .    Built on a trailer.

/.

cbc58

i'd like to know how that expanding mobile home works...  do you know?

alexkgore

Join us in the design of Blake' Tiny House!

We have posted our design iterations 2.0. a taste of it is below. We look forward to your comments. We are trying a new thing this time around.  Download a SketchUp model or grab an image and feel free to sketch, manipulate, or redesign Blake's Tiny House.  We would love to see ALL of your thoughts and comments and will post them to our blog if you return them to us.  Email your ideas to: blakestinyhouse@gmail.com.
Here is the website, there is a two designs there:

blakestinyhouse  dot  com/new-design-development.html#/news/

Some features of this design include.

Storage behind bookcase
Interior garden
Stairway
Lofted Bed and Hammock
Fold-down patio
Potential solar panels

Native_NM

Quote from: MountainDon on December 18, 2010, 02:06:57 AM
I would like to downsize the living space and increase the space for "stuff".

My dream house at retirement is a 5 car garage with an ~800 sq. foot cabin. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

alexkgore

We have pick a final design to move forward on and we will now dive into the details! Here is what we are working on next:

·         New and different façade designs.

·         Integrating sustainability features (possibility of sponsorship)

·         Deciding where to go for the Blake's Tiny House tour.

We're planning a journey that takes us to builder shows/conferences, RV shows, or general festivals/fairs. Home base will be in the Bolder/Denver/Longmont area and we only have 7-8 days to do the tour. We are looking to tour in June or early July. Where do you want us to go? Comment at: blakestinyhouse  dot  com/blog.html

hpinson

Have you considered how bedding/ sheets will be changed in this design? It will not be very easy.

alexkgore

Yes we have, in the next stage we are going to allocate a little more room to the platform to help with this. It wont be the easiest job in the world but it will be doable.