Kentucky 16 x 36

Started by OldDog, November 17, 2007, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDog

The dormer siding is finished which completes the outside.  Now my train of thought turns 180 and the inside work starts.

Well it will be warmer and dryer than some of the outside has been.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Looking good, Old Dog, can't wait to see the inside!

desdawg

Sounds like you hit the seasons about right Old Dog. I like your choice of colors.

glenn-k

OldDog

I dug my first hole on Labor Day.

I have been busy but it is coming together.

Redoverfarm

Olddog

You took all the fun out of it.  Looks like you used a auger instead of a post hole digger.

OldDog

I had to put water in the holes to dig them with a tractor!!!!!!!!

If we had any rain a hand digger couldn't have been a lot tougher

Bruce

Redoverfarm

Yeah it's all work.  It looks as if the soil was pretty good though. You could have been like Glenn and myself. Both had slate and tough digging.  It took me 3 days with a digging iron and a pick to dig 30 feet of sewer line in my basement. If I had been on the ball I would have done it with the backhoe when my footings were dug.  I had to use bedrail to attach by batter boards and footing step forms. I am glas that is over. Now onto another phase.

C.White

Bruce, the cabin is looking great!  I know how excited you must be.  
I'm still waiting to see the inside photos.  How did you lay out the interior  and access to the loft?
curious minds want to know.
Christina

glenn-k

I don't even try hard with a heavy backhoe now.  I just go straight for the jack hammer and Bobcat.  It's easier not to try to fight it. :-/

I am pretty sure an auger wouldn't do more than sit and spin on top of my ground - and for sure in the rocks.  I'm about ready for a bit of black powder.  :)

OldDog

The inside will be one bedroom, one bath (4ft shower) and one kitchen/sitting room combined.

The loft has a 4x5 half bath.  It is so small the door will open out.  The section of loft without floor will be floored and a "knee" wall built around it with drawers and doors for storage.  There will be a window seat in the dormer below the windows in the back.

The stairway will be 90 degrees and will be in the area where the ladder is now.

The 2 collar tie beams will be covered with red oak with rope lights inside for in-direct lighting the cealing.  I have quite a bit of kiln dried oak and will make all the trim.  The trim and cabinets will have the same finish.

We have a 12 x 22 deck that we will move fron the camper to the back of the cabin.  That is the reason there is no soffit on part of the back.  The deck roof will be tied in here.

Heres the best part!  So far we haven't spent 10 grand!