Universal 20' wide 2-story Cottage Plans

Started by Jimmy C., December 13, 2004, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

[size=18]Universal 20' wide 2-story Cottage Plans[/size]

Has anyone started to build this plan yet?
Thanks Jimmy Cason ;D
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Jimmy C.

John, I'm thinking about putting a stone fireplace in position where you show an optional window seat.
Do you see any problems with this idea?
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

John Raabe

No real problem but extra planning is needed. If you do a lightweight insert (with lightweight stone facing) then it can probably be supported by the pop-out. You can use an insulated stainless steel chimney in a wood chase.

If you will do a true masonry fireplace with hearth and chimney then you will need the masonry to carry down to a special heavy footing and be self supporting but tied into the house framing with clips. You will want to work with a mason as there are several important details he can help you with. Also consult with the building department as to what type of seismic reinforcement they will want.  They may have standard details for masonry chimneys.

PS - If you want a good performing masonry fireplace look into the Rumford design — by far the best heater and very handsome. Here are some pics and details about construction: http://www.rumford.com/index.htm.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jimmy C.

We started clearing the undergrowth New Years weekend and I am hoping to start the foundation work in late Feb. or early March. I will post  pics of my progress..