The Judge for Concealed Carry

Started by Windpower, December 20, 2012, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Any opinions on this revolver for concealed carry

I am thinking might be just the ticket -- But I have not shot one

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Ndrmyr

I am impressed with the Judge, I don't have one, but have a friend who does, and we have shot various combinationsof loads and rounds.  For those who do not know, the Judge is chambered in .45 Long Colt and .410 Shotgun Shells.  The diameter of the shells are the same, only the length is different.  So, you can load any combination of .45 LC and .410 such as various grades of shot and or slugs.  Used for home defense, you might load birdshot in the first chamber (for a peppery warning shot) followed by 2 .45LC and 2 .410 slugs. as in: "Hey, get out of my house *warning shot*, No, ok then *bang*bang*, oops, still squirming *boom*boom*."
Supposedly named after southern Judges who favored this sort of weapon to defend against disgruntled convicted felons, possesses unique shotgun like qualities where you select the shotshell to the usage with the effectiveness of a large caliber pistol cartridge. It is not a small weapon and therefore not IMHO ideal for concealed carry. I would prefer it for home defense, although it would be a great weapon to carry in a vehicle.  I would prefer a more compact weapon for CC.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Windpower

I think
410   3 inch
45 Long Colt
is best

they have a  454 Casull now too --- way too heavy for CC I think

Rob_O

Quote from: Windpower on December 20, 2012, 03:57:24 PM
Any opinions on this revolver for concealed carry

I am thinking might be just the ticket 

I think it's perfect. Nobody will ever notice that cannon hanging out of your pocket
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

MountainDon

I had one and sold it. Firing 45LC it was the most inaccurate thing I ever saw. It was kind of cool to shoot the shotshells though. They were pretty good at close, personal combat, range, especially with the disc shells that have come out. Too large to conceal carry except maybe in a backpack, IMO.  I was quite enamored with the concept of dual ammo ability, but in the end it was less than I expected. Maybe it had something to do with the distance the 45LC bullet had to traverse before it hit the rifling?  ??? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: Ndrmyr on December 20, 2012, 07:20:42 PM
I am impressed with the Judge, I don't have one, but have a friend who does, and we have shot various combinationsof loads and rounds.  For those who do not know, the Judge is chambered in .45 Long Colt and .410 Shotgun Shells.  The diameter of the shells are the same, only the length is different.  So, you can load any combination of .45 LC and .410 such as various grades of shot and or slugs.  Used for home defense, you might load birdshot in the first chamber (for a peppery warning shot) followed by 2 .45LC and 2 .410 slugs. as in: "Hey, get out of my house *warning shot*, No, ok then *bang*bang*, oops, still squirming *boom*boom*."
Supposedly named after southern Judges who favored this sort of weapon to defend against disgruntled convicted felons, possesses unique shotgun like qualities where you select the shotshell to the usage with the effectiveness of a large caliber pistol cartridge. It is not a small weapon and therefore not IMHO ideal for concealed carry. I would prefer it for home defense, although it would be a great weapon to carry in a vehicle.  I would prefer a more compact weapon for CC.

Thanks, I did not know that was what they were titled.  Looked like the cylinder for one however.  I never was interested in one other than bear defense on the back country.  That is a lot of weight and size to be packing around.  It sure would never be my pick for C and C.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Ndrmyr

Mountain Don,  I like your input on the accuracy.  I suspect the long cylinder and distance to rifleing may well be a factor.  I like the idea of a wheel gun for home defense in a keyless lock box.  Quick to access, and even though I am a 1911 fan, a revolver is simple, easier for my wife in a stressful moment to master or in the dark. for myself.  Some shot followed by slugs are a nice combo.  If I was going to CC a revolver, I would stick with my Colt Python 4" in a shoulder holster.  It comes out lickity split and .357 magnum does a nice job.  Doesn't have 14 rounds, but I like to think my USMC training and a tendancy towards frugality still has me with the one shot mentality.  A nice bonus is that the sound of a big caliber magnum being discharged is like non other. Nato rounds just don't compare.  It can help to take charge of a situation. And lets all hope THAT is never needed.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

MushCreek

I was thinking of the Judge to carry around our property. I figured it would be a good snake gun with the .410, and a couple chambers of something more powerful in the event of a run-in with something bigger. I currently carry a 4" Colt .357, but it's hard to hit a snake!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Windpower

Thanks for the input

It sounds like it is more fitted to a 'carry around the farm piece' than CC

Apparently they fixed the 45 accuracy a bit from what I have read lately -- the 410 would definitely be good snake medicine

I still like a revolver for CC though

Colt Python with a 4 inch barrel ?

I don't like smaller autos they are too dificult to aim accurately quickly and the 1911 although a favorite is too much to lug around

MountainDon

Have a look at the Titanium framed Taurus, or a lightweight S&W.  I have an old Taurus Titanium in 45LC; but they don't make it anymore. 19 oz empty; 5 rounds. There are other calibers though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on December 21, 2012, 12:51:21 PM
Have a look at the Titanium framed Taurus, or a lightweight S&W.  I have an old Taurus Titanium in 45LC; but they don't make it anymore. 19 oz empty; 5 rounds. There are other calibers though.

Yep...I have one in 44 mag. Taurus model 444

I also have a S&W model 325 (Lightweight Scandum) in 45ACP which is a dream to shoot and carry.

As to the Judge, you're right Don. I had one, sold it, Had aBFR in 410/45, sold it. They aren't all that good in 410 and horrible in 45 Colt.

I do have a Contender that is a dream in 410 and sucks in 45 colt but all I use that barrel for is 410.

You can improve the accuracy some with handloading. I've used everything but settled on 444 cases fireformed in the chamber. It's a pain and accuracy still isn't great.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

Thanks Don and Peter

The Judge is out --- maybe If I can find a cheap one for the tractor

I'll look into the Titanium Taurus and the S&W in 45 auto