Dr Burzynski, perhaps the most promising cancer cure yet: Antineoplastons

Started by Windpower, June 16, 2011, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Native_NM

From the Ketek link/article you posted:

Dr David Ross stated that the "FDA has developed a "culture of approval" , and pressure on managers to quickly approve drugs gets "transmitted down to the reviewers", even when there are unresolved questions about safety or efficacy.  Such charges have been made by other FDA scientists as well." 

Antineoplastons must really be junk science if Burzynski can't get approval from the FDA, who apparently approves just about anything.   d* d*
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Windpower

The FDA, who apparently approves just about anything that is submitted by a $40 Billion a year company.

now that is a statement I can agree with....

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Native_NM

Sassy

I have a nurse friend who owned a research business - said she ran approx 300 research studies & is still doing research for a hospital, although no longer owns that business - overhead was too much & the headaches not worth it although she enjoyed it.

She thought the pharmaceutical companies she dealt with were very diligent, the office was audited every month to make sure consents/protocols were being followed correctly.  There was a clause that stated if the drug produced adverse effects on a subject, the pharmaceutical company was responsible for any monetary costs.

$100 million per study expenses for pharm companies she considered to be a conservative figure per drug before possibly making it to market.  Then, oftentimes, once it did make it to market, new adverse effects might come up, causing the drug to be pulled off the market.

One thing she did say was that she was surprised that some of the drugs made it to market as they didn't work  :-\  She cited the nicotine patches as one of them.

Forgot to ask her what she thinks of aspartame...  told her about the antineoplastons, Dr. Burzynski etc but she hadn't heard of him.  She pretty much follows the status quo - works in a GI lab & told me I should get my colonoscopy  d*

Seeing what my brother went through when he had neck cancer, I would not do chemo or radiation & will never take any statins (cholesterol lowering meds).  I do take ibuprofen every morning, tylenol at night & a couple tramadols in am for all the arthritic pain I still have in my hips.  My lower back is doing better since surgery in April & quite a coincidence - she has the same problem as I had w/a herniated disc at her L5 S1 level of the spine which is compressing her sciatic nerve & she is seeing the same neurosurgeon as I had do my surgery so she was glad to hear how things went for me.  I did tell her I tried to do too much afterwards because I felt so good & to just follow doctor's orders  d* 

I'm not anti-doctors/medications but I have seen a lot of over medication of patients, especially the elderly & try to stay away from them unless I have no alternative.  Two surgeries in 2 yrs is plenty to last me for a lifetime  :D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Native_NM

Native_NM

The whole saga might have been more spectacular if there were any compelling evidence that antineoplastons actually worked.

The only person who seems able to publish studies showing the treatment's positive results is Burzynski, the only person with a financial interest in the drug. The one time Burzynski agreed to an independent study under the auspices of the National Cancer Institute, it ended in acrimony. Between 1991 and 1995, the NCI spent nearly $1 million funding Phase II trials of patients treated by doctors at the Mayo Clinic and Memorial Sloan- Kettering. Because of slow patient accrual, the doctors decided to expand the agreed-upon parameters of the protocol, ultimately allowing two patients with brain tumors larger than originally called for. Then, after several of the patients experienced side effects, including seizures, edema, confusion and drowsiness, the doctors responded by lowering the patients' dosages. Convinced the doctors were deliberately sabotaging the trials, Burzynski pulled the plug.

A 1995 Phase I trial by Japanese researchers showed promise, but Phase II trials were never initiated.

None of this lack of outside support has prevented Burzynski from publishing studies (mostly in obscure journals) and presenting abstracts at medical conferences worldwide. Yet after all these presentations, and after decades of research, Burzynski seems to have amassed exactly zero outspoken allies in conventional medicine. (While outspoken critics aren't hard to find, some oncologists don't seem interested in discussing him at all. The Houston Press's request to speak with experts at M.D. Anderson fell on deaf ears.)

rwanders

[cool] NM,
Impressed by your persistence at trying to inject actual fact-based evidence into this thread. Stay strong---there will still be plenty of those who never let it outweigh their faith in any internet silliness that scratches their itches.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida