DIY Septic

Started by 325ABN, April 24, 2010, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

Anybody build thier own septic system? If so what are your thoughts? After the first estimate came in around $12K I am really considering putting that cash into a back-hoe and doing it my self. In my state of NH owners may build thiere own. I have a design for a "Presby" system and they look fairly simple and strieght forward. The kicker is you gota have the equipment! I am going to price out the materieal this week and see what the coat is. $12000 just seems like a lot of cash for not a complicated system.

Any thoughts, ideas and/or warnings? Should I forget about DIY and just put out the cash?

jbos333

If mine were going to be $12k I would absolutely give DIY serious consideration.....however, I can hire out a conventional simple system for a 3 bdrm house for around 4k to 5k even if it needs to be a sand system. I wonder why the big difference in price? Have you checked into the Infiltrator system? That might be an option for you if "they" allow them.....

325ABN

I am going to get a few more bids. I am hoping this guys was way high.

JavaMan

I know that where my property is, you can build your own. The catch is you have to build it yourself (it reads as if you can't even have outside help) and it must be a simple gravity system.

The county even has a great site on how to build it.

I would love to find someplace that gives a complete description on how to do a soils (perk) test, tho and what the results actually mean.  My plan would be to do one myself around the property to try to find the best place before spending the $$ on having the county do it.  Once I find my spot, then they can come and basically confirm my results. 

But I have yet to find a site that can give me good, clear directions on how to run the test, and most importantly, how to interpret the results

I've not heard of that type of system - my guess is that it is a type of pressure system?

phalynx

I built my own using the Infiltrator system.  Tank was 900 and the infiltrator panels were 700.  Total cost 1600.....  Very easy to do.  Infiltrator even has guidelines based on type of soil on their website.

rick91351

I have put in several and I never ever came anywhere to that much.  I would really  want to find out why.  Is there something you are missing in this or is there a special system required?  Right now here permits are running close to a grand, a 1200 gallon cement tank is not much more that set unless you are a long distance.  I would figure 1000 for pipe and infiltrators depending how many and far the State / County require.  You might have to dig to China and back fill with sand then lay your domes but I just do not know why the 12000 K    
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

cbc58

325ABN,

Are you building in NH?  Where abouts? I am also and also have a quote for a system in the 12-14k range... and I have been thinking about doing it myself.   Would love to know what information you come up with regarding costs of materials vs. cost to hire a firm to put it in.  

My understanding of the presby maze system is that it's pretty straight forward and most of the cost involved is excavation and bringing in materials.  Seems like one should be able to do it themselves with the assistance of a "septic mentor"... and I'm sure they are around.  

We are a-ways off from building but am very curious to hear what you find out and decide to do.  If you do the owner-built route, please post a thread here on it.    

325ABN

OlJarhead

I'm on the other side of the country but doing septic for me might cost $8k if I were to do it.  The problem for me is that I'm in very rocky country and getting down below 4-5 feet is tough!

However, since this is a cabin and we don't plan to live there we are putting in a composting toilet and a privy.

cbc58

Hancock, NH.    Our lot is seasonal access though so it's hard to justify a 12-14k septic system for part time use.

dmlsr

what do you mean seasonal access???
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Jeff922

In western Maine, we paid $6500 for our septic system.  1000 gal tank and a 700 sq ft leach field.  I could have saved money DIY.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

cbc58

what do you mean seasonal access???

road is only maintained and techically open to vehicles from april to early december... and is not plowed or sanded during the winter.  summer cottage area.   town will make you post a bond if you want to use it in any form of regular access during the winter.  

Squirl

If you are only going to be there seasonally have you considered a composting toilet?  A lot less digging is involved.

dmanley

Just a reminder, if a septic system is not used on a regular basis it will not function properly.

dougpete

I bought a composting toilet a few years back, while it may work for some people my family refused to use it after one weekend.  Believe it or not I then went to the system outlined in the Humanure Handbook and things have been going smoothly for three years.  It is a little work, but no big deal.

We are currently building a house and are going to plumb in for regular toilet and septic, but believe me that septic will be the last thing done.  Of course it helps to live in a county with no building inspector etc.  I did ask the health dept about gray water and they just told me to "keep it away from the property lines."

cbc58

If you are only going to be there seasonally have you considered a composting toilet?  A lot less digging is involved.

we have considered that.   we were told that we needed a full septic system even if it is just for gray water.... which seems overkill but... that's what the state and town says.  

Dallas2build

Quote from: dmanley on May 25, 2010, 03:26:07 PM
Just a reminder, if a septic system is not used on a regular basis it will not function properly.

Can you please expound on that? ???

petenvt

www.TankDepot.com   Has good prices on septics  and  State by State requirements. I don't know about your exact permitting for your state or town.  My land  has an existing septic system in place. But if I did not I would have to hire an engineer to design and stamp a design$$$$$$
I am not affiliated with this company at all. I found there site a few years ago and have found it informative.  I know  some parts of  New England can be tough on septic regulations.  Good Luck pete

MushCreek

Quote from: dmanley on May 25, 2010, 03:26:07 PM

I'm curious about that, too. I've heard that, but then I remembered our summer cottage, which was only used 3 months a year. We never had trouble with the septic system.  ???
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

cbc58

i think it may have something to do with keeping bacteria active in the system...  that'd be my guess.

dmlsr

where are you getting the info that you can install it your self??

Dave
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

JavaMan

Quote from: dmlsr on May 27, 2010, 03:19:56 PM
where are you getting the info that you can install it your self??

Dave

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I get my basis for being able to build it myself from the Okanogan County law; specifically, the following link, section 10 http://www.okanogancounty.org/ochd/2008_oss.pdf.  Even more specifically, section 10.02

The big caveat in that regulation is that you, the owner, and only you the owner are allowed to do the work.  If you want Joe from next door to help, he can't unless he is a licensed septic installer.  He can't even lift a shovel to help dig the trenches.  Yes, that's the strictest reading of the regs, but my guess is that you'd have to talk to the county to find out what they say.  And then again, there's the old, "what they don't know won't hurt them" theory.  Which could be true, especially out in the boonies where some of us are building  ;D

I also found this document to be quite informative:http://www.okanogancounty.org/ochd/const_stand.pdf

dmlsr

looking for info for NH

Thank you for looking
Dave

cbc58

Start here:   http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/water/ssb/index.htm

I spoke with them numerous times and they said that an owner (and only the owner) can design and install thier own... otherwise you need a licensed designer and installer.  All regs apply - have to have a perk test & test pit, design approved and pass inspection, etc., etc. etc.