Author Topic: Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12  (Read 155881 times)

Offline JavaMan

• Rock Of Ages Ranch - Somewhere in the Okanogan
    • The Lodge at Rock Of Ages Ranch
Re: Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12
« Reply #450 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »
Well, it seems that I will be able to de-stress for a bit since I got notice that my contract will end at the end of this month.  Which leads me to think that I might go up to the ranch this weekend and see how things are up there.  If the snow isn't too deep and I can actually get back into the property, I can mark some trees, etc... and  maybe even figure out a new, let steep, way up to the building site.

I figure I should be back to work well before the snow is out in the spring and will be able to begin construction on time, hopefully.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2017, 05:13:23 AM »
It's been cold but not much snow yet.  I bet you drive right up....it will dust today/tonight I think (maybe a trace) and it's supposed to for the next week but I don't see it as more than an inch or two....and with chains nothing under 10 inches even gives me pause.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the weather update. 

I'd move the trailer up there and stay there to save some cash, but I don't have a place for the sewage and I'd be making regular runs for water (and interviews, hopefully).  It would have been great if this had run another three to six months.  At that point a few months off would have simply given me time to get a good start on things.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #453 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Well, got up to the road up to the property last weekend.  Actually, I got to the end of the county maintained part.  Started up along the part beyond that, but by the time I got to the lake (probably 1/2 - 3/4 mile), I was pretty darn sure that the rest of the road was NOT going to be passable.  So, turned around at the lake, forgot to get out and take the pictures I was going to, and headed back out.  Just to much snow and it felt really slippery for some reason.  Perhaps there was ice under the snow.

So, that's decided.  Not heading back until May, I think.

Meanwhile, the folks at where I'm working decided that the last working day of the year will also be my last day working for them, so now the search begins anew.  All I need is 3 or 4 more good, solid years of work and the discipline to save like there is no tomorrow.

Meanwhile I will be cutting back on expenditures.

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Well that's not a fun way to start the holidays...  kind of crappy of them to do that if you ask me.
Here's hoping that the new year also brings you some better fortune.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #455 on: December 24, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
Well that's not a fun way to start the holidays...  kind of crappy of them to do that if you ask me.
Here's hoping that the new year also brings you some better fortune.

Thanks Adam.  Yeah, it is a bit crappy, but I've already got a few possibilities in the hopper, so it looks good for the new year.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #456 on: December 26, 2017, 05:02:28 AM »
Sorry to hear it!

Do you not have ice chains?  With those and 4 wheel drive you should be able to get anywhere the road goes as long as there isn't more then 14-15 inches of snow.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #457 on: December 26, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Sorry to hear it!

Do you not have ice chains?  With those and 4 wheel drive you should be able to get anywhere the road goes as long as there isn't more then 14-15 inches of snow.

No, I need to get some chains for the truck.  Years ago I went up there in the early spring and nearly made it up to the property - until the snow was actually at or just above the axles.  And I got stuck.  Of course, I'm also older and less willing to have that adventure of walking out 6+ miles in the snow ;)  And that's just to the county part of the road  d*  If I had brought the quad I would have taken it in and at least checked out the property.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #458 on: December 27, 2017, 05:15:32 AM »
I got some snow shoes for Christmas :)  Now I'm really set ;) but I have the tractor, chains on the truck and tractor and now the chains -- not to mention the woodstove at the cabin etc

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
I got some snow shoes for Christmas :)  Now I'm really set ;) but I have the tractor, chains on the truck and tractor and now the chains -- not to mention the woodstove at the cabin etc

Well, I might have snowshoes... I know I did have some a few years ago that I got for Christmas, but I was told to "come get your stuff" and when I did found it all packed up already.  On the one hand that made the job easier, but on the other hand, I have no idea what, if anything, I'm missing!

But even if I actually still have them, I am not sure I want to snowshoe nearly 7 miles in to the property, especially if I have to drag a sled of supplies behind me.  Going to save up for a snowmobile! :)

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #460 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
Ok, I got to thinking about a modification to the build plan and to decide if it's worth it or not, I need more information.

I know how to read floor joist span tables, etc... and can find a lot of good info there, but... I need information on specific beam sizes and spans.  The tables I find cover laminated beams, configurations of 2 or 3 2xN "laminated" together, but none of the info I find covers how to determine the maximum span of a 6X8 beam made from either Doug Fir, Poderosa Pine, or any other species of wood.

So, my question is, does anyone know where I can find information about this.  Even if it's "math"  d* it would be appreciated - as long as the application description can be clearly understood.

The basis of my question is, what would be the dimensions of a solid beam to span 20' without support in the middle.  If this is impossible without a huge beam, what would it be with a support in the middle?

Would a 6x8 handle it? Or 6x10? or 8x10? or???

Thanks for anyone's input!

Offline Peaceful Ambition

• Sapling
« Reply #461 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
This is a great resource that Don showed me a while back:

http://www.timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/beamcalc.htm

and these are the values you put in (other than the dimensions)
Fb 1200
E 1.4
Fv 135

Dimensions are inches and load is lbs

It needs to pass all 3 tests, if it doesn't and you want to simulate a beam in the middle, just half the span on the calc.

You are not illiterate

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Building a remote cabin in Alaska
« Reply #462 on: January 18, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
It all depends on the load.  You can get some estimates of the load based on what you want the beam to support.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #463 on: January 19, 2018, 04:19:47 AM »
No, I need to get some chains for the truck.  Years ago I went up there in the early spring and nearly made it up to the property - until the snow was actually at or just above the axles.  And I got stuck.  Of course, I'm also older and less willing to have that adventure of walking out 6+ miles in the snow ;)  And that's just to the county part of the road  d*  If I had brought the quad I would have taken it in and at least checked out the property.

I thought your neighbor was full time?

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #464 on: January 19, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
I thought your neighbor was full time?

Sadly, no.  The folks he bought it from 10 years ago were nearly full timers.  She would stay during the winter and he would head back to Orcas Island to take care of his construction business (at least that's the story I heard)  The guy at the end of the county maintained part of the road is full time, but I think he's getting close to 90 these days...  There are a few on that part of the road that are.  There's one guy building a timber frame house lower down.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #465 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
This is a great resource that Don showed me a while back:

http://www.timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/beamcalc.htm

and these are the values you put in (other than the dimensions)
Fb 1200
E 1.4
Fv 135

Dimensions are inches and load is lbs

It needs to pass all 3 tests, if it doesn't and you want to simulate a beam in the middle, just half the span on the calc.

Sweet! It looks like exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:29 AM »
So the career is back in gear!  :D  I Interviewed earlier this week for a position near Seattle and will be starting for them a week from Monday.  It's not remote, but it does pay and I'll keep the trailer east of the mountains as a waystop.  I plan on still looking for that elusive remote position, though.  If I find one that is remote I plan on jumping on it.

So, It will take 3 or 4 weeks before things get back to full speed, but it's moving again, and I can't wait for the snow to go out at the property.  It's been unusually warm this year.  Yesterday it was 55 and last night it got down to 32 before starting back up for the day... and this is east of Snoqualmie.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:06:41 AM by JavaMan »

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
Congrats!

Was still a good 8 to 10 inches of snow at my place where it is untouched but the roads are just ice rinks now ;)  Chain up or go for a ride!  Weeeee!

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
We're getting clobbered by snow...  been non stop, and now another 8 inches coming this weekend.

Apparently a town in Japan got 54" of snow in one storm... can you imagine that? 

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Wow - it was 60 here on Thursday!... of course, I'm only at about 1700 ft and 2 hours or so south of my property... which is at 4000 ft.

While I know it might mean a bit of a dry summer, I'm hoping for an early spring.  I'd love to start getting in up there in May, if I can, so I can get working on things.