Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

This job wakes me up at night thinking about how screwed up it is.... [waiting]

How about some happy thoughts as I try get sleepy enough to go back to bed.... [idea]

We went to the Burlingame street Art Fair this weekend as we try to take in some of the local things when Sassy comes up to visit.

They shut down the entire downtown area streets and everyone comes to town.  Here is Sassy in front of the Crepevine at the Art Fair.

This area of the bay area is a place where every well to do person has a better dog than the next well to do person and they must walk it in town to show what a fine specimen of a dog they have.  Rover gets all spiffed up and walks downtown with master all day long.

Some have to get one up on the others and have two nice dogs to walk around.

This is a common thing to see all day long but especially here at the street fair.  As you might guess, with the city being all pavement and concrete, this creates special problems.  Rover is unaware that he is a high class special show dog and sometimes his true colors come shining through.  He shows that he just puts his pants on one leg at a time just like you and I.  heh

Yup..... just a good ol' country bumpkin......content to take a leak off of the front porch....or on it.... [ouch]

For this lapse into reality times... when Rover can't help but prove that the city is not really a good place for people or animals, this business chose to put up this sign in front of their nice furniture business.....

So yes.... if you choose to be rather snobby to everyone much of the time, you will need man's best friend because he will like you no matter how you act.  He doesn't know you put your nose in the air and walk by people who are you consider to be below you.  He loves you no matter how you acted or treated people for the day.  He doesn't remember that you just laid on your horn in the car because that guy in the truck didn't get across the intersection as fast as you wanted him to.  It is a rough life to be a city dog though. [noidea'

He does always know that you really need a friend when you come down to earth and stop putting on airs.  He will come up to you after the days show and lick your fingers and lay his head in your lap, never knowing how you treated people all day and how lonely it must be to live this type of life on a postage stamp sized piece of land in the city where every little shack is worth a million dollars.

With all of their wealth, I consider these people much more poor than a poor person who chooses to live in the country with a bunch of cross bred dogs.... and people for that matter....  [scared]

I'll take the underground cabin and my misbehaving mutts any day over this sham life pretending you are something you are not...

.......a naked person under all of those fancy clothes. 

As my friend Mohammed said... "We are all the same under the clothes.... two arms - two legs... that is all."  We can consider ourselves above the rest if we want.. but that is not reality.  We are all just simple people under the facade we try to project. 

How about we try to remember that and make a few more friends.  :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Just got in from doing chores...  heard a cow moo at me so went to feed them & make sure everything was ok while I was gone - didn't see them last night when I got home.  There's big ole Beefsteak outside the corral eating the last bale of alfalfa, content as can be.  None of the other cows are in sight   [noidea'

I checked around to see where he might have gotten out.  The only place that looked like a possibility was the area of fence I could open.  There was a 2x4 across the top as the fence was a bit saggy...  well, the 2x4 was no longer 12 ft long, it was in 2 pieces...  I kept trying to get Beefsteak back in the corral, said a little prayer for help w/the task.  Decided to open that part of the fence, went in & got the bucket of molasses, showed it to him, went outside the corral to where he was - he wasn't even afraid of me only took a couple steps away & looked at the bucket.  Then I tried to show him I was putting it back inside, also grabbed a few armfulls of alfalfa  & threw them in - he got curious enough that he walked around the big haystack & went inside - phew!  I closed the fence up, dragged a couple railroad ties to put up across 2 areas of the fence that was looking like escape hatches, got a big piece of heavy metal decking, put that up against the fence, then took the tarp & strung that across the area he'd gotten out at...  hopefully that will fool him & he won't try to get out again.   [waiting]

Moo'ed for the other cows (they understand me) & heard one of them moo back, then saw Fouch, the bull, down below, was hoping the rest were w/him.  They started moseying back up the corridor to the corral.  Thank God, they were all there.  I put out more hay, wedged the molasses bucket to a place where hopefully they don't push it down the hill again. 

Gotta keep them up here now, Glenn left a message on the answering machine that he had had a dream last night that Bossy gave birth...  we have coyotes on either side of the mountain.  So now I need to find some 2x4's to close off the corridor so they don't go back down to the spring. 

Hand watered some of the fruit trees down on the terraces that looked a little stressed (they're on drip) watered the strawberry patch down there, checked out the drippers for the trees.  Watered part of the stuff up by the cabin.  Checked on the chickens, filled the feeder, gathered the eggs - oops, one of the eggs was broken - hope the skunk isn't helping himself to them again  >:(  or that one of the chickens isn't eating them... 

Got the laundry started - Glenn had several bags of dirty clothes...  now I need to clean the house...  don't really feel like doing it tho  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ben2go

Good work.Sounds like ya had a full day.

Sassy

Yeah, I was real happy that Beefsteak went back in   c*  And that was before I even had my cup of coffee! 

Just went out again to block off the corridor.  Dragged some long 2x4's over there & got those across -  also some 4x4's upright, hopefully that will deter them.  The cows were still up there, lying in the shade, contentedly chewing their cud  :)  Of course they were very interested in what I was doing & figured I was there to feed them some more.

Dragged the other molasses bucket over (they're 60#)  & gave them more alfalfa.  Last week I had to carry both of the molasses buckets from my car to where the cows were.  That's pretty good for me since I had back surgery the end of April...  didn't even have a sore back.  Also had to carry the 40# bags of dog food.  Makes me strong  :D

glenn kangiser

Hmmm  hmm

I'll bet she wishes she hadn't retired now... making her into a cowgirl.  [noidea'

Guess I better check her udders next time she gets near.... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ben2go

Sassy,way to go but please be careful with your back.I hurt think about all you're done.I have three compressed disc in my middle back.Still working those out.

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 16, 2011, 11:45:27 PM
Hmmm  hmm

I'll bet she wishes she hadn't retired now... making her into a cowgirl.  [noidea'

Guess I better check her udders next time she gets near.... [waiting]

??? I am confused on that udder comment.Not sure who that was directed at.  d*

Sassy

Hey Ben, what are you doing to work out your back problem?  Do you have a lot of pain? 

I have several herniated discs from my cervical to my lumbar area, spurs, compressed & slipped discs, stenosis, you name it, I have it but most of it doesn't hurt me.  My neck has actually fused itself together so there's no space between the vertebrae.  Keeping active is the best thing...  I probably shouldn't be lifting super heavy stuff but if no one is around, what do you do?

Checked the cows 1st thing this morning - my makeshift gate held up - they were all up in the corral, didn't seem to mind being there.  Fed them some hay, the molasses bucket is still where I put it, that's good.  At least they won't be chasing it through the fence.

Ummm, regarding Glenn's comment, you'll have to ask Glenn  ::)

ben2go

Quote from: Sassy on August 17, 2011, 05:43:05 PM
Hey Ben, what are you doing to work out your back problem?  Do you have a lot of pain? 

I have several herniated discs from my cervical to my lumbar area, spurs, compressed & slipped discs, stenosis, you name it, I have it but most of it doesn't hurt me.  My neck has actually fused itself together so there's no space between the vertebrae.  Keeping active is the best thing...  I probably shouldn't be lifting super heavy stuff but if no one is around, what do you do?

Checked the cows 1st thing this morning - my makeshift gate held up - they were all up in the corral, didn't seem to mind being there.  Fed them some hay, the molasses bucket is still where I put it, that's good.  At least they won't be chasing it through the fence.

Ummm, regarding Glenn's comment, you'll have to ask Glenn  ::)

I did PT and then got lazy after I completed it.I really only have pain when I do a lot of bending or carrying things.My low back bothers me if I walk a lot.I think I just need to stretch more and warm up a little before doing anything.I have two speeds.Wide open and stop.I think the shift from stop to wide open is whats getting me.My injuries stem from a long drop to the ground landing solidly enough on my behind to knock me out for nearly 10 minutes.When I came to,I thought I was paralyzed from mid chest down.Took me about a half hour before I could stand with help.That's were the compressed disc came from I believe.In my early 20's I worked a job and was pushed passed my limits.I fell back over a bundle of spare tires while holding a bundle of spare tires.That ripped everything in my lower back and almost led to surgery.I have other injuries but my back seems to be the worst of them all lately.

I'm sure Glenn will clear up the comment as time allows.

glenn kangiser

Been a busy day... six places at the same time and almost more than Super Safety Man can keep up with.

We got a great start on the screen wall, got answers on the equipment wall on Safeway after I told them I was going to cut all of the posts down to 3'11 as scaled off of the plans.... Note to others - usually you will not want to rely on scaled dimensions on drawings unless you know they are accurate.  I just told them that during a company meeting to get quick action.  Then I told them I was off that part of the job until I got answers and stomped out of the room.  Took 18 minutes for all of the answers to arrive.  Going through proper channels takes days to weeks.  Sorry about that... [waiting]

Let's see... where was I .... [noidea'

Were we talking about cows here or what? [scared]

rick91351

Glenn best to just drop the cow thing before it turns into udder disaster. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Ummmm ....... Uhhhhhh.... Rick, I'm into this thing so deep I think that may be udderly impossible...... [waiting]

A couple pix from the job today  Safeway is moving along - not fast enough for management, but decent.  I had something to do with most of the steel on  the front of the building.   [frus]

But here are some of the guys who get 'er done after I solve the problems and get it so we are able to proceed.

Gabino from the steel company.....Super welder , fitter, thinker and problem solver. [cool]

Augustine, Another super welder, fabricator and all around good craftsman.  Makes my stuff look sloppy.  [ouch]

........and Ramon and the "A" team.  They can get it up when it seems next to impossible.  They were buried under problems and changes when I got here.  I took  a portion of the problems and let them get to work.  We really got a lot done today.  

Ramon and team are on the Safeway a lot of the time, with dropping in to "A" once in a while to see if I need anything and bring me men and machines when I am ready.  

Guasave  (From the town Sassy and I used to fly to on mainland, Mexico), Guillermo,  and in the Blue shirt...

Mi Amigo, Ramon - the "A" team leader.... heh

We have a few good days.... With a couple of bumps, today was not that bad...........       :)

glenn kangiser

Chatted with our good friend and guest at the Underground Command Center last night in Myanmar.  Myo is back to teaching people in Asia how to better their way of life building advanced rice driers with very few resources.  So glad we had him as a guest and extended family member at the Underground Complex.  :)

In the Command Center..... :)

Myo's Work

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2305118954439.2141084.1443213800

Here he is with his colleagues.  Great to see he is doing well.  When he was here he was constantly traveling and learning more to share when he went home.  Myo was also an MD, but had to run the family business when his father developed diabetes.  Great to see he is doing well and he said he will fulfill my wish to eat a barbecued rat at the Myanmar (Burma) farmers market when I go to see him and his wonderful steam engine.

I hope I actually get to do that.  [ouch]

ben2go

Geeeesssss.I know kinda how you left coasters feel now.We had an earthquake a little over 300 miles away and it hit our house a few minutes later.Felt like our house was sitting on top of a shaking plate of jello.I ran outside and my car was swaying,the trees were swaying,and my little utility trailer was rattling.I kind felt motion sick.I ain't felt that since I was a little tyke.I live on top of a little hill in a little valley(ditch is more like it).I think it amplified the shaking.I'm no geologist.As crazy as that felt,I'd be absolutely terrified in an earthquake event like Japan had.Hope this stuff settles down around the world.It's not a good feeling when something you thought your whole life is solid, suddenly turns and shakes you up.

glenn kangiser

Yeah, Ben. It's a pretty wobbly feeling alright.  I have been in a few of them.  The Coalinga one leveled the town about 50 miles from our other place.  It was a doozy.  [scared]

I have found that earthquakes even 250 miles away have shifted the valley substrate when I was drilling wells, and broken casings below the surface.

Hope things firm up for you over there.  :)

Sassy

Well, I got to play cowgirl again tonight.  I'd fed the cows this morning & gave them a fresh bucket of molasses - gee, they really go through that stuff fast  [hungry] 

Decided I'd put some hay out there again tonight in case they decided to come up the hill early in the morning...  uh oh, what's Beefsteak, Bossy & Fouch, the bull, doing outside the fence?  Clown is being the good little boy - he's still where he's supposed to be.  I start walking towards the cows, Beefsteak & Bossy head down the hill & Fouch hides behind the stack of hay happily munching away.

???  Now what am I gonna do?  It's almost dark, I don't have a flashlight but I gotta get the cows in...  I look for the molasses bucket - no where in sight - those buckets of goodies the cows love have been more trouble than they're worth  d*  Anyway, I notice it is hidden under the tarp I had draped across the 12' wide gate the cows had knocked down & broken the wood on.  I was trying to fool them into thinking it was a sturdy fence.  Well, when their precious bucket of molasses got hidden, they were out of there!

I had my trusty walking stick Glenn had bought me a few years back when I kept falling on my butt walking down the hillsides.  I slowly walked around the haystack to the back of Fouch & poked him on the hind end a few times...  he moseyed around to the other side.  We played hide & seek for awhile until I finally coaxed him back into the corral by showing him the molasses bucket.  I couldn't close the gate cuz I had to get Beefsteak & Bossy back in.  By then they were 2 roads down the hill checking things out.

I headed down that way, mooing & making clucking noises trying to talk them into coming back home.  Beefsteak saw me so turned around & started walking my way.  Bossy followed him.  The other cows were mooing, helping me out.  They made it up to the next road, now only one to go...  then they decided to walk towards the saw mill.  I kept sweet-talking them & Beefsteak seemed like he was won over & again headed my way.  I kept walking towards the corral but as soon as they would lose sight of me, they'd forget what they were supposed to do & start checking out some other stuff.  They finally got up by the garden fence in between that & Glenn's truck.  I kept coaxing them until they were on the road going to the corral.  The dogs were with me & Beefsteak doesn't like them too well since the took a couple bites out of him (have to keep the ringleader, Suzie, on a run-line now but take her off it when I'm doing stuff outside & can keep an eye on her).  Back to the story, Beefsteak went after the dogs so they got all excited & started barking & jumping up & down & going after him.  I yelled at them & gave them a couple sharp pats with my walking stick & yelled again for them to go lay day. 

I look over at the corral... oh no, Fouch & Clown are both out.  Clown is kinda skittish so when I yelled at him to go back inside, he ran right in.  Then the hide & seek started w/Fouch again.  He quickly got the idea that I wanted him back in the corral & cooperated pretty fast after I patted his hindquarters w/my stick a few times. 

Now, to get Beefsteak & Bossy in - they're standing by the garden fence, at least they didn't get inside.  I keep mooing & clucking - they finally start to follow - both jumping & running like a couple spring chickens.  Whew, finally, they're all inside the corral.  Now, to jerry-rig the fence again.  Had to go find the 12 ft 2x4's again & drag them over - balanced them across the posts - they only fell down 5 or 6 times, finally got them to stay (it's pitch dark outside) - the cows are once more contentedly chewing their cud & licking the molasses.  I'll call Frank, my neighbor tomorrow morning & have him fix the fence & secure the molasses - nothing I've been able to do has kept it in place.

Another day at the ranch  c*

ben2go

Holy cow!Those cows keep you busy.

MountainDon

Ah the country life!   I have trouble keeping the free range cattle out; they covet the supposedly greener grass on my side of the fence. They don't want to go where I want them to go, either.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The wild ones are harder to keep out than our trained cows.  They lust after cow treats - hay, alfalfa, grain....

They follow you to get it.  :)

That is how you get them to do what you want... but it takes time and patience to get them to do what you want to do... kind of like a woman.... [waiting]

Sassy

::)

Frank fixed the fence for me & secured the notorious molasses bucket.  So, hopefully, they don't get out again.   d*

Was out working in the garden, headed up to the shop - caught my foot on one of those strapping bands that hold packages together that was half buried in the dirt and went flying - landed over a stack of plywood - cushioned the fall with my hands - not too good for my wrists or knees & my hips & back were hurting...  so much for avoiding accidents.  At least I didn't break anything  :-\

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

I believe I may have the job under control.... the Imperial Stormtroopers have Arrived....

Actually that is Augustine, dressed to protect from the sun and zinc inhalation as he welds galvanized metal.

We are currently knocking the crap out of this job as the hand made stuff on the Safeway is pretty well ended and Ramon gets more welders onto the "A" building.  We are all working toward getting a three day weekend next week.

I took a couple of detail photos of forming concrete stairs for those of you who may be interested.  The bottoms of the riser boards are cut off at a 45 to prevent having too much to finish by hand at the back.  

The concrete guys did a nice job when they poured the stairs today.

I whine and complain about them but I know how hard concrete is to do and they do tons of it here.

So I can say,,, good job guys.... most of the time.... [waiting]   :)

glenn kangiser

I chatted with our friend, Lee in Zambia tonight.  He asked for our link and is going to have a look here at the Underground Command Center News.  He was unable to make the trip to Yosemite with us but we did get to meet him at the graduation of the Humphrey fellows in June and hung out with him and the others at their apartments afterward.  http://humphrey.ucdavis.edu/Hantembe.html

It is so great to be able to stay in touch with our friends around the world after we have the pleasure of meeting them and hosting some of them at the Underground Cabin.

Tomorrow Sassy and I are going to tour San Francisco with some of our International Student friends from UCLA who invited us to meet them there.  Wei Yu, our piano genius called so we will meet them after I get off of work in Burlingame. :)

glenn kangiser

Met our Friends in SF and toured around looking for a parking spot before having a great dinner.

Wei Yu is in Biomedical Engineering, has a PhD, and yet... he will still hang out with us... [waiting]    :)

He has to...he is part of our extended family.... [ouch]

He loves to play classical music on the piano.... Mozart etc.  and I posted a video of him playing around a bit on the piano before when he was in Mariposa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFSymZGXGc

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2372508234378.2145192.1300689880&l=ba847229cd&type=1

glenn kangiser

OK, guys..... I know I have been a bit lax in posting because I did not have a lot of good stuff to share working out of town and all but.... I think this is something you all need to know about and you might just put it to good use...... [idea]

I went to the garbage truck today and there was my buddy, the elevator installer going to get his lunch too...

He was adamantly opposed to allowing me to steal his patent but...agreed as long as I share any potential profits that may arise from this.... [scared]

As you all may know, a pocket t-shirt is way too cool because you can carry your motel key, notes, pens, paper, secret spy decoder rings, etc....

Well, sometimes your wife forgets to send you a pocket-t when you are off working in a foreign city as my friend here found out....

Whatcha gonna do.... [noidea'

Fortunately my friend is a real genius......

OK.... as I agreed... when I become wealthy off of this... I have to share half... it's only fair...... [waiting]

PEG688

Those elevator guys are creative [rofl2]

I still get crap about wanting a tee shirt with a pocket, the company said "We are getting tee shirts what size do you want"  , I said "Well if you get me any  they need to have a pocket , if not,  don't order any for me as I won't wear them"

They did get shirts , but we each got ONE, mine  has a pocket . I'm not sure why they said we where getting tee shirts , when they meant we where getting A shirt ??? but hey I'm not complaining , it just seemed sort of cheesy to say  shirts, IMO.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .