Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We have no internal affairs department to complain to.  Been that way forever.  My neighbor who is retired LAPD mentioned that fact recently.  They are or were tied into the Octopus that goes clear from Sacramento  to DC - shipped out of here in the Iran Contra thing from the very airport below me and in the old days ran the meth labs on the Indian reservations.   Air shipments totally verified by an old mining friend with a telescopic camera.  One of their own mysteriously sunk to the bottom of the lake when he tried to straighten it out in '80.  Found him in '90.

Here's the old local story - I have posted a link to it before. 

http://www.lycaeum.org/books/books/last_circle/0.htm 

Never solved or investigated to conclusion.

OK -- here's the new plan.  Talked to my buddy who is always trying to talk sense into me. d*  Good Luck, Al. (Yes - he is the same one who was chasing the drunk down the sidewalk with the Peterbilt in Temecula).

Due to the negative connotations of the two words Constitution, and Militia (even a legal benevolent one), he advised me to be P/C and just start a Neighborhood Watch which most law officers think is just peachy and have hunters safety training for the friends and neighbors and encourage then to have a gun for hunting and their own protection.

Thanks, John.  My neighbor said he eventually turned into a good one also, but did the power trip thing for a while until one day he looked in the mirror and said - - "What the Hell am I doing."  We get along great.  I know most of them are decent guys.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I found some fairly generic Neighborhood watch forms from NY state.  While a lot of this stuff applies to the city more than country it is a starting place.  http://www.oag.state.ny.us/crime/neighborhood_watch/sample_forms_intro.html

For our area we will likely just have an informal contact list rather than going all out to start.  Most crime around here tends to be more with the types of people we don't hang out with anyway.

Note that I do not condone snitchy little groups of people or HOA's made to restrict others freedom.  We all tolerate each others parties etc. around here and are thankful for the ability of people to enjoy their property, but we all respect each others rights pretty well around here too.

If we form a group here it will be more for helping each other and watching enough to see to it that outsiders don't come in and rip our friends and neighbors off.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

We have a Block Watch here. You are right, the sheriff loves us, knows most of us are packing and the "formalization" of our already "tight" community helped us get rid of a 50 person plus hobo camp, drug dealers, a meth house and of course the theft quit then as well. 

We are all very independent in this little part of the woods, but when the chips are down, we all know each other now, and all have a list of phone numbers, names, pets, livestock and family members, so when there is a big problem (storm, earthquake, etc) we can do roll call and make sure everyone is ok.

This is not a list that the sheriff's department gets, its just ours.

There is also a map we made of the road, where the houses are, where the propane and water valves are, etc (ad nauseum), and a big sign for the front window, says OK on one side and HELP on the other.  The assumption being that if OK is in the window, no one will try to come in looking for you.

Most houses are not visible to the neighbors, with long drives back into the woods to each one, so this saves a lot of time when we need to know everyone is ok. 

Anyway, we hope it will.  I take some comfort in knowing my neighbors. We don't spend huge amounts of time interacting on a normal basis, pretty much busy with our own lives.  But we had a bad thing happen out here in March, and everyone was johnny on the spot to help out.  The phone lists and getting acquainted ahead of time helped a lot.  [cool]

glenn kangiser

Sounds good - something like that is what we're looking for.

We also don't interfere with each other much - but if we want to get together once or twice a year it is great. 

One of the neighbors and I go prospecting every week or two but that is by choice.

OldDog

Once a year, Saturday of Labor Day Weekend, we bar -b-q a #250 pig for the whole area and ice down a keg!

That is the one time a year we see everyone in the area.  Since 75% of us are part-timers we all keep a close eye on everyones property when they are absent.

So Far--So Good!
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

Everybody I have talked to thinks it's a good idea, so it will probably turn into a minimum of an annual thing if all goes well.  With two husbands on our road that were out of state during this fire, it seems like it will be very beneficial to improve lines of communication and getting to know others we don't know so they can call in case of emergency.

Looking like it will be around 40  to 50 at this point.  I'm still trying to find enough parking spaces but the cul-de-sac is 1/4 mile and we could shuttle if necessary.  Just trying to avoid that.

Sassy arrived this evening and approved the work around the pool - the concrete carpet.  This barbecue will be the test.

Sassy

Yes, it looks really nice - actually looks a lot better than the pictures  :)  We went swimming tonite & it's so nice to not have all the fine clay dust all over!  The patina is nice - looks like it's been there for years - or like how people do their acid wash cement floors - doesn't look like cement.  I like it  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Continuing the tradition of fine quality craftsmanship I have become famous for, I have now created a fine quality masterpiece bench for Sassy's pool area.  It is a bit over 14 feet long and will seat 12 medium or 8 large,

This work of art was started by slicing a few boards off of a White Fir log on the sawmill, then taking the remaining slab, knots and all and very carefully cutting it to length with a precision chain saw.  Corners and edges were precisely machined to shape with the fine touch of the sawyers sharp chain.

To prevent the ladies from snagging their finest hosiery on the edges or our nudist friends from getting a splinter, the perifery was skillfully sanded by the master bench builder with the light but firm touch of a belt sander with a 50 grit belt.

Legs were carefully but skillfully chosen from the Blue Oak trees sacrificed for safety from the Telegraph fire.  Masterfully trimmed to length with the chainsaw, they were next firmly fastened to the underside of the bench with the Porter Cable air nailer and 10d screw nails facenailed and overdriven about 1/8 inch to hide the heads (large dadoes previously cut with the chainsaw).

Corners were trimmed with the chainsaw, all carefully sanded out and 2 coats of the finest spar urethane applied by our professional finishing crew. 

Fine furniture as skillfully built as this cannot be rushed.  This took nearly an hour. d*  [crz]

My finely skilled furniture is only surpassed by that of PEG - our master craftsman. :)

steveastrouk

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 15, 2008, 11:36:03 PMwas skillfully sanded by the master bench builder with the light but firm touch of a belt sander with a 50 grit belt.

Must have taken an age to get that finish with a 50 belt :P

Steve

glenn kangiser

The trick is to continue to use the belt until it is completely plugged up for that fine spit polish shine, Steve.  w* to the forum. :)

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 16, 2008, 08:43:13 AM

The trick is to continue to use the belt until it is completely plugged up for that fine spit polish shine,

Ah,  that would be pitch clogging the belt Glenn  ;). Sassy better have some cushions or some old towels , table cloths to  cover those. Or was the BBQ Today? [noidea' 

And Steve  w* to the forum. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

PEG - dude --- I was hoping to get your fine constructive comments on this project. rofl

Yes the barbecue was today and it was an overwhelming success. 

Our friends were over and -- you guessed it --- no splinters.  A great job if I must say so myself.  We ended up moving most of the tables and chairs down to the garden so the bench was the main seating in the pool area and it was nice to go up there and see it covered with towels and clothes and being put to good use.

I was all over the place and thanks to all of my good friends who always come through, Sassy and I had enough time to take tons of people through the underground complex.  There were in the area of 40 to 50 people there.  We even had friends and our renter and neighbor conducting tours also -- they know the routine.  It was like being on a guided tour at a major attraction-- we had tour guides meeting other tour guides with groups of people coming and going in different rooms and areas.

One of the highlights of my day was when I heard that there were stories going around town about a crazy guy with guns  on a tractor on the mountain.  Heard it from the clerk at the Mariposa Shipping who is married to a friend who went to school with Sassy.

I went -- hey --- cool --- that was me. :) d*

It was cool the last time I went to buy bullets at the hardware store.  The gal that runs it goes, I don't know if we can sell shells to Glenn.  He's got guns and a reputation. [crz]

Pix to follow.

glenn kangiser

Quote;) Sassy better have some cushions or some old towels , table cloths to  cover those. Or was the BBQ Today?

Peg, I told Sassy she had to get out of bed early today because we needed the sheet for the table.  heh

Sassy

"
Peg, I told Sassy she had to get out of bed early today because we needed the sheet for the table.  heh

d* d* d* c*  I even sat on the bench while in my bathing suit & didn't get any splinters!  Worked out well - doesn't take up hardly any space but gives you lots of room to sit or put towels & stuff on it. 

Yes, we had a great time, good turnout, tons of food... one of my friends had not seen the cabin for 3 years - we were out in the garden area near the RV garage - she asked, "now where's the house?"   rofl   She was all mixed up because the RV garage, garden area & deck were not there the last time she was here - she brought her friend - I took him into the house - he just looked around in amazement - and said "I love this house!"  We get used to it but it's fun to watch the expressions on other people's faces & hear their comments... 

glenn kangiser

My buddy, Al and his wife, Kathy, brought fresh rolls (which I missed out on)  and tri-tip down on their Harley.  Al came to barbecue so I could tour guide.  He knew what would happen - always does, and I can count on him to help.

LAPD ret., meets CHP ret.  Imagine me hanging out with this group.  d*

Dave is my nearest neighbor and good friend, and Carla has the vineyard in the valley to the North and sends me lots of work from ranches she manages and her friends and relatives.  She is one the Sheriffs tried to kick out and she told them "If we're comparing badge sizes, mines bigger than yours."  

She stayed, and directed fire fighters to the best backroads and places to stop the fire in her valley.  She is also a big promoter of people in the local area getting to know each other to help out in times of problems.

It is an honor to have such great people as neighbors.

glenn kangiser

My mining buddies - Miner Matt and Keith and their families - both area residents on my end of the mountain and both showed up.

Miner Matt was giving me a bad time about taking his photo --- said he was a wanted man.

I'm sure he was just kidding -- there are lots of people who look like him around here. hmm

Matt also stayed and fought fire around his place and assisted the firefighters in any way he could.  He felt the same as I and mentioned the same thing to me. "If these firefighters will come from all over the state to lay their lives on the line for us, why should we sit back and do nothing."   It would be different if we were not capable of helping.

He mentioned that he was not as ready as he should have been before the fire.  I also could have done more but you don't think about that until the threat becomes real sometimes.

Just for fun -- think how you would feel if a 35000 acre fire was burning within a few hundred feet of your house.  Would you want to do anything different?   Are you in a fire danger area?  It may seem like paranoia --- until it actually arrives, then it may be too late.

steveastrouk

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 16, 2008, 08:43:13 AM
The trick is to continue to use the belt until it is completely plugged up for that fine spit polish shine, Steve.  w* to the forum. :)

Glen and Peg.
Hello from England ! I wouldn't miss this  thread for the world now - been lurking for a few weeks. Good to see how you guys fight and play together.

My wife and I have bought some land in New Mexico, for a longterm holiday and eventual retirement project - still waaaay off - our kids are only 10 and 8 ! The plan is to build something, well, like you have I think. Assuming you ever finish it  ;)
Steve

MountainDon

Hey Steve.  w*

Where in New Mexico is the property? There are a couple of us transplanted resident New Mexicans here.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: steveastrouk on August 17, 2008, 02:26:12 PM

#1: Glen and Peg.
Hello from England ! I wouldn't miss this  thread for the world now - been lurking for a few weeks. Good to see how you guys fight and play together.

#2: The plan is to build something, well, like you have I think. Assuming you ever finish it   ;)

#1: We're buddies , heck we've even had lunch together and a nice drive :o ( just kidding Glenn's  a good driver when he's not taking photos  ;) )  around  in the Lake Tahoe area,

I'm the good lookin young guy  rofl

Part of Glenn and my stik/ banter is to show how friendly and safe it is for folks like you to chime  , sometimes it even works  :o We got you to post right! :)

#2: The finishing part , well let me tell you shipmate  , you never finish, till they plant ya anyway!

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Glad you came back for more, Steve. :)

Old Chinese proverb: "Man finish house, man die."  I often repeat that to Sassy when she tries to get me to complete something around  here. d*

We did do lunch and a bit of the Tahoe area together.  PEG probably did get a bit nervous when I let go of the steering wheel to take pictures as I was driving, but I was still hanging onto the steering wheel with my knees.

Yeah -- PEG is the good looking young guy--- I'm the wise old guy. ::)

Great to hear you will be one of our New Mexicans. 

I also drag my knuckles when I walk but that's another story. [crz]

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 17, 2008, 03:43:03 PM
I also drag my knuckles when I walk but that's another story. [crz]

Can't help it as it is probably hereditary or from living in a cave all these years.  Glenn do you like bananas on your cereal?

glenn kangiser

Ahhhh - yes bananas -- also produce copious amounts of gas especially with that high fiber cereal.....not necessarily the safest substance in the underground command center though.  [crz] d*

Redoverfarm

glenn kangiser

She is the one who supplies the high fiber cereal. d*

I would suggest....hats off....mask on. [crz]

Sassy

You may remember Glenn talking about making a wood gasifier all the time - I told him we really didn't need one we had the "Glenna$$ifier"   rofl    BTW, he won't even eat high fiber cereal - he says "it's too healthy"  d* d* d*   Thanks for the condolences, Red!