Horizontal window?

Started by 325ABN, January 19, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

If I installed a normal double hung window on the horizontal plane would it work ok? ??? ???

PEG688

A vinyl double hung , or a wood window?

Either way if it's a modern window no it wouldn't work very well. If it's a old wood double hung it would work very well either.   

They have springs or weight that assist with the lifting , and that hold the window open , those springs are designed to use the weight of the window in that process, laying the window sideways would muck up the action.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

325ABN

Not sure about the vinyll or wood as I have not purchased the window yet.

Alan Gage

Thought about trying that a few years ago but found if you turned a new double hung window on it's side it wouldn't stay closed.

Alan

PEG688

Quote from: 325ABN on January 20, 2011, 07:45:04 AM

Not sure about the vinyll or wood as I have not purchased the window yet.

That makes the right answer pretty simple , buy a slider. A window made to be used the way you intend.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

A true horizontal slider, like the ones I've used, has rollers on the lower edge to make it glide back and forth. That would be missing on the window meant for vertical use.

The drains would also be missing, or rather they would be on the left or right side where they would do no good. Maybe do bad?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

Just to reinforce what others said; I bought a bunch of vinyl double hung windows for cheap and I had the same question.

When I laid one on it's side and released the locks, it literaly flew open.  Not a good idea.