Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

The eagles foot was another buttress outside the front door on the bottom of a cob column.  

I think I see a glaring  electrical code volation by the eagles foot :o :o ;D ;D

So just the man's "ideal shaped "women Eh! ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Well - it is fed off of a GFI and is sheltered - didn't bother looking up the rest. :) Cords need to be plugged in and removed quickly to avoid the black widow so that helps to prevent unwanted shocks. :)

I figured the table could also serve as a brace for the column -- nice buttress, eh?

There is the little ox under the table.  

Various other things came out of the mud.  Here is Sassy's energizer bunny.

Here is the elephants foot - do they have toenails?  I heard they painted them red so they could hide in cherry trees.....  Ever see an elephant in a cherry tree?

Hide pretty good, don't they. :P

Of course the 300 lb frog has shown up in a few other places but he wanted a better photo.

and Cobhead has been seen around - sorry -- he had a bad hair day today.

When I was experimenting with the clay he came out of the first batch -- looks like he stuck together well.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Very creative Glenn and Sassy :) Or who ever ;D

Although I'm not much for playin with mud  ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

C'mon, PEG - it makes great cabinets. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I like the cobhead best. Probably doubles as a watchdog. Any burglar that ran into that guy would probably start trying to remember where he had come in.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

He is cute and is directly in front of the outer front door.  I wonder what people think-- never thought of it much. :-/

desdawg

Ah, don't worry about what people think.  ::) Welcome to suburbia. Good thing there is no HOA.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I couldn't even consider an area with an HOA.  Heck - I can barely get along with real people. :-/

MountainDon

QuoteCords need to be plugged in and removed quickly to avoid the black widow so that helps to prevent unwanted shocks.

Black widow's a piece of cake; it's the brown recluse that gives me pause.   :-/ :-?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yeah- they are supposed to be the baddies.  They are also not supposed to be in our area.  Sassy does not like the Widows and there are quite a few around but they leave that nice sticky tough web so are pretty easy to find.  We have California Brown Tarantulas also but they're just nice friendly little guys.

Here is all you ever wanted to know about Brown Recluse but were afraid to ask.  There is a range map there also.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef631.htm

MountainDon

We have black widows around home here as well. Used to see tarantulas and scorpions too, but they seem to have moved out as the neighbors got closer. Sometimes I'd prefer the old neighbors to the new ones.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

QuoteI couldn't even consider an area with an HOA.  Heck - I can barely get along with real people. :-/
We are on the same page!

glenn kangiser

Somebody may be right and somebody may be wrong here, but I think that you and I are right and not too much else matters, desdawg. :)

glenn-k

Today our Native American friends brought over 4 friends from the National Park Service cultural exchange with their sister park in Jiuzhaigou Valley in China.  One of the girls was from Tibet and others from Sichuan Province.  Very nice people and they are supposed to email me when they get back.  I hope so because with all of the activity showing the place I totally forgot to get out my camera and take some pictures.  If I get them I will post them here or maybe they will post them here.  They took pictures of everything to document it and take back with them. :)

jwv

Hadn't visited this conversation for awhile-love the conversation pit.

Judy

glenn-k

Thanks, Judy.  This is the hot spot for people to bring their out of town friends and relatives to, but we enjoy having them over so it's no problem.  Lots of pictures get taken of the conversation pit.  The friends from China were rather surprised that I knew the name of an underground dwelling in Chinese.  I had posted one in indigenous housing and my friend in China taught me how to say it - I'm not much good at it though.

The girl from Sichuan said this house needed a name -- it needed to be called the Magic House.  They were very nice people. :)

glenn-k

Interesting that "The $50 and Up Underground House" book is listed used on Amazon for a range of prices from $25 to
$102, with the author, Mike Oehler being the cheapest for a brand new one.  It looks like some of the dealers recognize real value when they see it. :)

The $50 and Up Underground House

Buying direct is even cheaper.

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/book.html

glenn-k

Things got way too crazy at the underground complex today.  I went to the lumberyard for a bag of duplex nails today and mentioned to the owner that I may want some concrete at my place soon.  Heavy machine shop tools to move from the other place require me to actually break loose with a few bucks for concrete in the underground headquarters shop.

I mentioned that the only time I had due to work schedule was either this afternoon or a week or two.  He said, "well, why don't I right something up for this afternoon just in case?"  I told him to put it on will call in case I couldn't get ready as nothing was filled, formed up and the French drain wasn't in.  I went home quick - It was about 12:30PM , called my buddy about 45 minutes up the road, called my renter for her boys, jumped on the Bobcat and busted out rock for the French drain, set up the laser - put up forms.  Al and his son showed up and cleaned out the ditch for the drain - I put the bucket on the Bobcat and brought rock and perf pipe for the drain - got fill and filled and compacted the floor - got bouncing Betty and compacted the edges and rechecked the floor packed by the Bobcat,

Next I went and got my permits and engineering - yeah -- right as Jonesy would say.  Note that I did get my exhaustive title documents this morning certified from the county recorder, and I can't find anyplace where the county has a legal interest in the land since the assignment of the legal patent claim from John C. Fremont to all the assignees all the way down the line completely to me.  This conveys the original patent rights to me through the complete chain from him.  I guess they lose their right to tell me what I can do unless they want to take it from me and pay me full value for it.

The concrete truck arrived and started pouring at 3:49PM.  

The crew was just us 3 at the start but soon the other two boys were off work and came to help out.

By 5:19PM the mud was down and all that was left to do was the finishing as it hardened up.  Lee (one of my renters friends)  turned out to be a professional concrete finisher and he came back about 9PM and gave it a great hand troweled finish.

My buddy, Al wanted more notice next time - he said at least another hour.  I haven't done that much work so fast in a long time.  Lee mentioned that it came out better than jobs that had taken days to set up.  It wasn't real big - about 16 x 17.  Still plenty of work for me. :)

Note:  Yes -- that roof has about a 16 foot cantilevered section sticking out there.  Been that way for 3 years.  Why do you think I was in such a hurry to get some concrete down there.  I need to get that other corner post fastened in place. :-/

desdawg

Good job Glenn. I notice you didn't take any pictures of your washout box. I guess it was just off camera.  :D
What machines are you putting in there? I have been buying some of our steel back from China. I have a 15" planer and a table saw, neither one that I can lift without the forks on the Bobcat. They are all cast and relatively inexpensive. And once they get installed in the mountains it will take four people to steal one if anyone is so inclined.

glenn-k

I had him washout by the stream --I didn't want that nasty stuff around my house. :-/

No - I told him to feel free to washout anywhere he wanted - once you enter my driveway it is patent protected land.  He chose a flat spot in dry clay soil.  Couldn't find a place that would do any damage. :-?

I just brought up my 66 ton iron worker -- it will shear off 1x6 steel - and 3/8x22 plate.  More to come.

desdawg

I think that stuff killed all of the fish around here. I been tramping this desert for over 20 years and I have yet to see a fish.
Sounds like you are going to do some serious welding/fabricating.

glenn-k

I had it at our other place and my son is moving to LA, so since he won't be using it I'm moving it up here.  We fabbed a 2 story building a few years ago but now just occasional stuff.  I will use it fairly often up here on machinery repair - and building trailer parts, shop brackets, grizzly for earth - rock separation, Bobcat accessories, etc.  Just a handy shop tool to have around.  I have a 26 x 96 metal lathe, milling machine, 50 ton press, drill press etc.  May get a smaller lathe instead of bringing the monster up here, but hate to lose the ability to play with big stuff so I am not sure yet.

MountainDon

QuoteI have a 26 x 96 metal lathe...
I can't even imagine how much that monster weighs!!   :o  

glenn-k

I think it is around 6000 to 7000 lbs, based on looking at one that was a bit smaller.  The Iron Worker is 66 ton capacity rating of hydraulics but only weighs around 3000 I think.

desdawg

I guess you will be running a generator when that playtime arrives.