Northern Minnesota 24x32

Started by mclausen, July 12, 2006, 10:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mclausen

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to post the progress on my 24x32 that I am building.  I used John's plan as a "guide", but modified to accomodate my better 1/2!  We poured concrete on June 3rd, and I started framing the walls on June 24.  I am hoping to have the roof on by the end of the month.  I think I will be doing most of that myself, as I am having a hard time finding and "free labor" to climb around on the 12/12 pitch!  I think if i were to do this all over again, I would wait until closer to Fall to do it.  I am facing 100+ temps this weekend, which will make work rather unbearable.  I have included a link to some photos I uploaded to yahoo.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mlmixers/album?.dir=/43care2

jwv

WOW  :o What a beautiful place! Can I come up and go fishing?

We shouold have a CountryPlans Caravan-we just travel from place to place visiting projects-hmmm...wonder if HGTV would be interested?  Where's their email address?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Judy

MB25ACRES

looks nice how hard was it to get plans adjusted to 24 from 20. how many bedrooms. can you post floor plan thanks. Mike

mclausen

It might take awhile to get the plan posted, as I utilized John's plans and graph paper :)  I will try to get it on on 3-d Home Architect so i can post it.  I did not need a formalized plan for my building permit, so as such didnt spend a ton of time with it.  It wasnt hard to change the plan up.  I will take some detailed photos this weekend and add to the link.  Shingles are going on at 6 am Saturday.

mclausen

I have finally caugh up enough to add some new picture on my project.  We are almost done on the outside, but are taking a break to do some wiring on the inside for some lights this weekend.  It gets dark so early now that it really limits what you can get done.  We should be heated and weatherproof before the snow flies. I hope :)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mlmixers/album?.dir=/43care2&.src=ph

mclausen

trying again on some photos.  I am not good at this yet!

glenn-k

Well you did just fine that time.  Looking great. :)

mclausen

Thanks Glenn,

Everyone wants to know where I learned so much about building, and I tell them HGTV and this website.  I couldn't have built it without all of the help given here.  Thanks to everyone.

Sassy

Looks great!  And what a beautiful area!

Amanda_931

Sassy's right.  And it's complete with an occasional moose!

glenn-k

Did you do your own roofing or have it done?    

How was staying on the 12/12 pitch done?  

Thanks.

mclausen

A friend and I did all of the sheathing, but it became apparent that roofing was going to by a challenge.  The day I finished sheathing, a crew was doing some roofing across the lake, and I got a quote from them.  They were able to start 2 days later and charged my $100/square, or $1300 total with my materials.  I thought that was a great price considering I would have to take time off from work to do it, and also I didn't seem to have many friends willing to climb up on that roof!  Go figure.  It was the only, and best labor I have hired for the project.  I am confident they did a better job than i could have.

To stay on the roof, they tied off with harnesses to the peak, but what I found amazing is that they used old pieces of foam rubber, like from the inside of a couch cushion, to sit on and move around on.  That big old cushion under your rear-end work just like a big piece of sandpaper to hold them in place.  It was pretty neat to see.

glenn-k

Great information for us too.  Sounds like you got a very good deal. :)

Jimmy_Cason

The place looks great.
Those are a good set of framing pics! That will help a lot of people to decide to build their own house.