moving a cabin...

Started by Steve_D, July 10, 2006, 02:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_D

Greetings all... I have been checking in on your site for a couple of months now. I recently sold a cottage property I bought five years ago with the intent of buying something larger, more private, and, well, more typically Canadian Shield in character. Through blind luck, I was literally taking a short-cut via a logging road when I came across the small, weathered for sale sign, I found such a property and at a great price.

It is just under 3 acre, south-facing lot along the Madawaska River (Ontario). That stretch of the river has great fishing, canoeing and whitewater (plus, there is this perfect spot for a hot tub, but I am getting ahead of myself). Add to that, the back 2/3rds of the property is a sand ridge covered in red and white pine. In short, it was love at first sight!

The property already has two small cabins, a 10X12 that is winterized and a 10x14 that is framed and roofed, but not winterized. Each has a loft.  My first step will be to finish winterizing the larger cabin this summer/fall. One of the additional options I have been considering is moving one of the 10X14 cabin, which currently lies at the back of the lot, closer to the front of the property where it could sit atop the ridge overlooking the river. This would also bring it closer to the likely future building site for the main cottage, for which I am seriously considering the universal model.  The distance I would be moving it would be approximately 300-400 feet along the sand and gravel laneway. Here are my questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with moving structures? What are the key do's and don'ts? Is it worth the risk? Re-locating the cabin would add significant value to the property, but if there is a good chance it's going to tumble into pieces, I will leave it where it is.  

2. What methods are available for moving a cabin of this size? My Dad suggested we look at using skids, pulled by a dozer. This is a standard approach used up here for removing ice fishing shacks, but this is a tad bigger than the average ice-fishin shack. The other option would be a small crane.  Are there any other options?

Any other related suggestions or comments are welcome!

Steve

MIEDRN

When I was in my teens, my parents moved a small house onto our property. It was moved on a flat bed with a semi trailer. From what I remember, many precautions had to be taken to make sure the house would stand the ride. I also remember my Dad cussing as it turned onto our street. One of the few times I remember him using such language.

I remember him talking of reinforcing some parts of it for the ride but unfortunately, I can't remember what they were. Had little interest at that time!

Sorry I can't give more details but I'm sure someone else here will step in.

Amanda_931

It might be a screaming pain to move logs from back to front as you use them to roll the building along.  Or it might not, given a loader or a pair of stout Belgians (the horse of choice for such work around here)

glenn-k

I just moved one about that size with my 10000 lb crane and a tilt trailer.  Lifted the end - dropped the trailer backed it under then tilted it back up with the crane -- reversed procedure to unload.

kev_alaska

We are going to be doing the same basic thing when the larger of the cabins is finished. The 10 x 14 little cabin will be moved about 150 feet away from the bluff and out of my view. I am preplanning now to do that with a cradle frame just outside the existing beams. Jack one side up, remove the piers, lower it down onto couple 15' sections of pipe and repeat for the other end. We will be doing this in the winter, so pulling will be with a snow cat. Still deciding best way to attach the false beams to the sides of the cabin beams. Maybe large lags or thrubolting? If I use "I" beams to attach to the sides (hanging down lower than the cabin beams) it would also give me a good metal end to hook the Snowcat to.

No road access for large equipment.

glenn-k

If your ground is level and clean, logs could be used as rollers to go only 150 feet without too much trouble.  I regularly move steel beams with pipe rollers in hard to access areas.

desdawg

That much log has to be pretty heavy. I am interested to see how it works out for you.

FrankInWI

Well, I have a book for you to enjoy, and learn a little in the process.  It's called "Cottage For Sale - Must Be Moved"
It's a great read and very interesting.  I learned.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034548018X/sr=1-1/qid=1155347028/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8419316-9696838?ie=UTF8&s=books

Amanda_931

It sounds pretty wonderful.

Steve_D

hey folks,

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. Thank you for the responses and for the suggestions.  Still mulling options...  

Steve

Amanda_931

Thanks, Frank for mentioning Cottage for Sale: Must be Moved.

I enjoyed it thorougly.

And wish I had some seriously handy friends--not to mention an in at the local fire hall whose people are always doing construction on the side--to help with my projects.

She hires house-movers, by the way.  And runs way over budget.