Finishing little house ceiling (interior) ideas?

Started by Ray_N, July 03, 2006, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_N

Well the outside is almost all done of my 12x18 Little House.  I've been pondering on how to finish the ceiling.  Since the rafter spacing is 24", I'm guessing I have to use 3/4 sheetrock, which would not be easy to lift.  I also looked at tongue and groove boards, and at around $5 a board that would really add up.

What about using Hardypanel or some kind of T-111,  any downfalls there?  I can't use regular paneling without putting some plywood or sheetrock underneath.   The way it works out is that from ridgebeam to ceiling meets wall is just about 8 feet,  so 4x8 sheets work well.  

peg_688

Ray 5/8" Sheetrock is the norm for 24"OC spacing .  Normally the S/R is run from left to right not from top plate to ridge , one long seam in the ceiling instead of 4 8' seams you'd have one long 18' seam per side.

Will you be insulating ? Wiring ? All that needs to be done first.

You could use T&G boards stained or finished clear / naturally , or painted.

S/R would be , MTL(more Than Likely ) be the cheapest unless you found a super deal or had access to free boards.

Sheet Hardi is heavier than Sheet rock. We just used some on the exterior of a place it's 5/16" thick 4'x8' sheets quite heavy  :o Doesn't look like something I'd want inside ,   or out for that matter on my house but thats just my opinion .

T1-11 would work but would be lots more $ than S/R if I where to install T1-11 on a ceiling it would run again from R. to L.( or L. to R. ) not from plate to ridge . It would be MO that the sheet sould run the long way so if it where grooved T1-11 the "boards " would run the 18' way. Just like if the T&G boards where used.

Hope this helps , G/L , PEG

jraabe

PEG is right, sheetrock (5/8") will likely be the least expensive. You can even cover the joints with lath battens and paint it all out if you don't want to tape and finish the joints. Plus it can be painted white which will open up the feel of the place and reflect more light.

In our little house cabin we used inexpensive 1x6 hemlock boards over a black 6 mil poly for the ceiling finish. We got a good price on wet material that was far from perfect. The black poly served as a vapor barrier and a light blocking backer that made the joint shrinkage and occassional knot holes disappear. This is more rustic than many folks would want however.

Amanda_931

Horrible heavy 5/8 drywall for fire proofing? (better than 3/4, but....)

There are some ways to get it up with only a moderate amount of hassle.  I think they probably involve ropes and pulleys if you're having to lift from the ground floor, maybe only moderately awful with some sort of rented lift if it's above the story and a half.

I'd think you could get the same fireproofing effect with expanded metal lath (not lathe!) or even the wooden strips, and plaster.  

Gypsum plaster is the same stuff as drywall--that's why it's sometimes called gyp-board.   ;)  Mix up just enough to put on before it sets up.  Two coats.

Hydrated lime (you should have started soaking it months ago) is more forgiving, because it dries slower.  Two coats are good here too--and if you're just learning about it, maybe you'll know what you're doing by the second.

The "Building With Awareness" video has mini-clinics in both kinds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007RDR7E/ref=cm_bg_d_7/103-4441361-7626258?v=glance&n=130

peg_688

Horrible heavy 5/8 drywall for fire proofing? (better than 3/4, but....)

In this case I was only saying 5/8" for the span of 24" , the firerating wouldn't be a issue unless living space  where above , to slow the fire down. I don't believe that would be the case in this situation .

They do use a 1/2" S/R that is stiffer on ceilings , it's lighter than 5/8" not sure of the cost difference between the two.

http://www.nhci.com/sheetrock.html

Wallboard/Sheetrock/Drywall & Gypsum

Description

Gypsum Wallboard Reg.
4x12x1/2
$12.45

Ceiling Board Reg.
4x12x1/2
$14.25

Fire-Code Sheetrock
4x12x5/8
$15.37

This site sez it's not to much difference , the ceiling brd 1/2" would be my choice. Not sure about the site and pricing as to how current they are.

BTW I've never heard of 3/4" sheetrock, I have had to use two layers of 5/8" on odd applications .

G/L , PEG

Ray_N

Hey this might work,  what about Furring Strips?  I can place them perp. to the rafters every 16" then hang just about anything I want.   I happen to have a bunch of cedar strips (yeah not the strongest but they where free and held on the tarpaper over the winter).  

I really want to keep it 4x8 sheets,  12 footers would just be a near impossible task to get to a remote site.

Rich_B

check at rental yard see if they have a sheek rock hoist it rolls around  is great for hangging 5/8 or half on the ceiling even valted as table rock sits on move from vertical to horizontal. It makes hanging rock on ceiling almost fun YOU could do the cieling by your self .Or you can put blocks in all the way a cross the ceiling just like you would do fire blocking only you are putting in 2x4 nailers .Hope I wrote it so you under stand as writing is not my best way of commnication

Ray_N

I found a solution.  There is beadboard plywood sheets called Plytanuim by Georgia-Pacific.  It is thicker than paneling but not as thick as 1/2 plywood.  The sheets just fit in, only slightly wavy when handing.

When the ceiling is all up I may be more to finish some of the inside.

P.S. - the cost was about $14.00 a sheet,  since I just have to paint or stain then they are somewhat cost effective.

CREATIVE1

Used this stuff on porch ceilings and soffits.  Luckily didn't have to piece anything because each porch ceiling up to the horizontal support beam was about 8 feet.  Very pretty! Seams don't show!  Then a friend commented that they couldn't understand why I didn't use plywood.  Goes to show, there's just no accounting for taste.

ShawnaJ

We have that or something very similar here at our Home Depot in SC, I was considering it for the cabin's interior. It's light enough for me and my daughter to put up without help. The thought of drywall was making me think I might have to hire someone to help us.

Now if Daughter would just find a big, well muscled boyfriend to help out when Daddy can't get off work...... ::)