zip line

Started by astidham, March 05, 2014, 06:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I know this is not a common question, I bought a 200 foot zip line kit for my back yard.
I am thinking about attaching one end into the trusses on the 2nd floor roof, and the other end to a large tree at the end of my property.
How I understand it, when a person jumps off the launch pad, the pull against the anchor horizontally is 800 to 2000 lbs.
I have seen this installed on houses and barns, but is 2000 lbs horizontal load something a house is resistant to?
We plan on having a deck off the 2nd floor of the house, and thought to zip line off the deck would be awesome.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: astidham on March 05, 2014, 06:26:08 PM
I know this is not a common question, I bought a 200 foot zip line kit for my back yard.
I am thinking about attaching one end into the trusses on the 2nd floor roof, and the other end to a large tree at the end of my property.
How I understand it, when a person jumps off the launch pad, the pull against the anchor horizontally is 800 to 2000 lbs.
I have seen this installed on houses and barns, but is 2000 lbs horizontal load something a house is resistant to?
We plan on having a deck off the 2nd floor of the house, and thought to zip line off the deck would be awesome.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd I think Glenn is our resident authority in this department.  That is providing that he hasn't crashed, burned and is laid up somewhere recuperating.   ;)

astidham

Thanks John,
I hope he chimes in!
Glenn, you got your ears on?
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: astidham on March 05, 2014, 07:26:42 PM
Thanks John,
I hope he chimes in!
Glenn, you got your ears on?

He has been working out of town and hasn't graced us with his presence on a regular basis.  But I would say that if you sent him a PM message he would get notification of it and reply.  Just a thought.

astidham

— Henry Ford

Patrick

I want to do something like this also I was thinking of having an independent anchor though, you'll have to keep us posted on what you come up with. I was also concerned with possible lightning strikes.

Don_P

Quotebut is 2000 lbs horizontal load something a house is resistant to
a house, yes, a single truss...Of course not.
You need a drag strut to collect the load and transfer it to more members up at the diaphragm plane. I'd use something along the lines of 2 pieces of 1/4 x 3"x 20' flat steel that is laid across the top edge of the top chords and dapped (notched) in flush. Block between trusses, drill and nail the steel into the trusses and blocks. At the end truss weld a piece of angle flat against the inboard face of the truss then carry the second piece underneath catching the trusses and the other edge of the blocking. Weld a piece of angle on the far inboard end of the long struts hooked over the last truss in your line.  Drill through the angle iron plate and the end truss and insert the connector and double nut it with locktite. You're then using the diaphragm of plywood and trusses working in unison as a large flat beam rather than tugging on one truss.

Never considered lightning, a gound rod driven at the far end and connected to the line ought to be the better ground but a million volts is unpredictable  :o. I've always wanted to hang glide off the front porch but have finally hit the age where parts fly off when I hit  :D

glenn kangiser

Sorry for the late reply... working 11 hours or so per day most of the time right now then going to my other job Monday. [scared]

My economy has improved a bit though the painters were just happy to be working ......

I agree with Don P. on this one.  I am tied off to a couple of 6 inch trees and had to hook both ends to other trees to be able to tension the line enough, and then it is not really tight enough... but it is usable up to about 220 lbs... heavier than that will find the rider bobbing along the ground on his or her bum....if they even dare....  [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

astidham

Quote from: Don_P on March 06, 2014, 10:51:19 PM
a house, yes, a single truss...Of course not.
You need a drag strut to collect the load and transfer it to more members up at the diaphragm plane. I'd use something along the lines of 2 pieces of 1/4 x 3"x 20' flat steel that is laid across the top edge of the top chords and dapped (notched) in flush. Block between trusses, drill and nail the steel into the trusses and blocks. At the end truss weld a piece of angle flat against the inboard face of the truss then carry the second piece underneath catching the trusses and the other edge of the blocking. Weld a piece of angle on the far inboard end of the long struts hooked over the last truss in your line.  Drill through the angle iron plate and the end truss and insert the connector and double nut it with locktite. You're then using the diaphragm of plywood and trusses working in unison as a large flat beam rather than tugging on one truss.

Never considered lightning, a gound rod driven at the far end and connected to the line ought to be the better ground but a million volts is unpredictable  :o. I've always wanted to hang glide off the front porch but have finally hit the age where parts fly off when I hit  :D
Thanks Don,
I also had my engineer look at this, he had a simular version of what you said drawn out for me..
The thought of hang gliding scares me since it puts me in controll of landing. Lol

— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Speaking of Lightning.  I would say this individual would feel safer on a zip line than walking on the street. 

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf0_1305923572

kbaum

i'm planning on putting a zip line this summer for the kids between 2 REA poles in the back yard.  I'm going with a kit from backyardziplines.com   It will only be 100 foot long.  I couldn't believe the wife gave me the OK. :)

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 07, 2014, 09:17:43 AM
Speaking of Lightning.  I would say this individual would feel safer on a zip line than walking on the street. 

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf0_1305923572

actually he has more good luck that you would first think...  twice and both are walk aways.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on March 07, 2014, 03:05:40 PM

actually he has more good luck that you would first think...  twice and both are walk aways.

I believe after the first one I would just wait until the storm passed before I got up. ;)

flyingvan

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=244497   

Pre- rescue helicopter days, we did a lot of work with 'tyrolean' rigged rescue systems.  There's a lot of force generated at the anchor points with any vertical (not truly vertical, I know) line.  The more sag, the better, though it'll slow down your zip lining experience.  You create a mechanical advantage... Where does the 2000 pound figure come from?  If you use all 200' you can think of it as a 100' lever with the full weight of the zip liner pushing down on it.  If they decide to start bouncing up and down when they get to the middle that horizontal load is going to get up there
Find what you love and let it kill you.

astidham

Quote from: flyingvan on March 07, 2014, 03:55:30 PM
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=244497   

Pre- rescue helicopter days, we did a lot of work with 'tyrolean' rigged rescue systems.  There's a lot of force generated at the anchor points with any vertical (not truly vertical, I know) line.  The more sag, the better, though it'll slow down your zip lining experience.  You create a mechanical advantage... Where does the 2000 pound figure come from?  If you use all 200' you can think of it as a 100' lever with the full weight of the zip liner pushing down on it.  If they decide to start bouncing up and down when they get to the middle that horizontal load is going to get up there
the 2000 lb figure came from the zipe line company I bought the kit from.
it is consistant with what I found online also.
— Henry Ford