Yurts and building codes in El Dorado County, CA?

Started by truncheon, July 23, 2011, 11:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truncheon

I'm thinking about putting up a yurt on my grandparents' place in El Dorado County, CA (not Tahoe Basin) but can't find anything about yurts in the building codes. Does anyone have experience with this area? I imagine the size of the yurt and whether or not it has plumbing/electrical will make a difference. Any info will be much appreciated - thanks!

glenn kangiser

I am assuming a tent type yurt rather than the house type such as some are doing.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 24, 2011, 10:25:40 AM
I am assuming a tent type yurt rather than the house type such as some are doing.

Good point Glen!

Really I don't.  However you might look to temporary dwelling codes if they exist in that area.  Buildings often under 200 sq ft are often exempt from permitting.  That however does not allow it to be use as a domicile, dwelling nor commercial. If your yurt would be under 200 sq ft I would not go there. 

Most yurts are temporary, in most cases they have no permanent foundation and can be moved.  In effect it is a tent.  It might be here this week but a month from today it might be in Brookings, Oregon or Sun Valley, Idaho.  (Certainly not with the ease of the old style sheep herder wall tent.)  Locally see if there is allowances for such.  You yourself might have to hit the books yourself to prove yourself correct.  So if they are going to require you to permit.  Then they are telling you also every miner, camper and person living in a wall tent never mind a box, lean to or shanty on a temp bases needs permitted.  Great start with them then come see me!     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

They already prevent a lot of people from camping on their land in many of the nosy government in everybody's business places.  Usually trouble is generated by complaining neighbors.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hpinson

This is a little off topic, but I'm wondering about the durability of the cotton fabric used in these yurts.  How does it stand up to sun exposure? How long does it take the cotton fabric to degrade when exposed to daily sun?

We are thinking about a wall tent as a temporary shelter while we build, and the cotton fabric is similar to what seems to be used in yurts.  Wall tents and yurts can be quite pleasant, and to me preferable to an RV, at least for sleeping.

truncheon

How "permanent" I build it will probably depend on how much hassle the county wants to give me. Since it's not my land, I don't want to cause trouble for the family.  But I really like the look of those yurts with the built-in kitchenettes, especially for during winter. I was really hoping someone on here would have dealt with El Dorado County before, and know the ins and outs as it were. But I guess it can come down to the individual inspector anyway.

The bit that I've looked at the building code, it looks like they could classify it the same as a mobile home, does anyone know of that ever happening?

Don_P

Those are stamped by a HUD inspector IIRC. You are into the alternative materials clause in chapter 3 of the IRC, basically it is up to you or the supplier to show that it is "equivalent" if the building department requires it. Generally my alternative methods have been structural and an engineer's stamp has satisfied the inspector. Here there are potentially multiple items that could require testing or approval. Never know till you ask.