Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Ready to start laying the fireplace Monday.  The fireplace foundation has been laid, backfilled w/#57 stone, rebar grid with # 7 bar, dry stacked support wall and a concrete cap poured from which the fireplace will be built.  The cap is a stepped pour.  The side closest to the cabin is higher than the firebox. This was done so that the stone tile ( same as the hearth in the cabin) will be laid level with the wooden deck and will abupt the firebrick of the firebox minus 1/4".  The 1/4" is to take into consideration that the slope of the deck runs toward the fireplace and any water hopefully will not run into the firebox.  ???  I did manage to parge the piers because I figured it would be much easier rather than waiting until the deck was built. Oh yeah I filled around the piers and cleaned up some just so I could move around without stumbling. ;D Also took my high-tech batter boards down all except the ones I had attached tothe trees.  ;)

ScottA

Looks like you're making good progress. I need to wrap my piers with stone this summer.  d*

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ScottA on June 06, 2010, 11:37:37 AM
Looks like you're making good progress. I need to wrap my piers with stone this summer.  d*

Yes finally I am Scott. The pier work with stone is just busy work for me.  I usually will wait until I have the bigger projects stoned and use the scrap and leftovers for the piers.  You can actually use "flat" stone for them allowing the front stone to overhang the sides and cover the cut edges.  Corner stones are really not worth the money in that type of application.  Now if the weather (rain) will just cooperate for a few days.

Redoverfarm

It's been sometime since I have posted a update.  Real hectic last month.  As the saying "I have been busier than a set of jumper cables at a redneck wedding" seems to fit.  I did get the fireplace laid , cap poured and parged.  I have two gate piers to lay up and I should  d* be finished with the block work.  . 

My best friend that has a cabin past mine was diagnosed with what they think is pancreatic cancer.  So I have been mowing his grass and watching his place.  You might remember a post last year where I showed a picture of his fireplace flue that I parged and stonedfor him. Had to make a trip to the southern part of the state (drove past the mine that had all the minerswere killed at not long go) to pick up about 600 sq ft of cedar siding that he had ordered to cover his shop.

Also had to make a trip to my sisters newly acquired house (again in the southern part of the state) and helped her husband to gut and remodel a 1200 sq ft home, rebuilding a bathroom floor.

Then last week my father 85 years old two weeks ago fell at my sisters and dislocated and fractured his shoulder.

To top everything else off my John Deer riding mower up and quit so I had to take it to the dealer and have the coil replace.  $360  [shocked]  My friend who has laid my block offered me his to use which I gladly accepted because the thought of push moving 2 acres wasn't something that I wanted to do or had the time to do right now. 

So what am I doing now?  Believe it or not I decided it was time to take a break.  I am sitting at the beach at the Outer Banks of NC. Same place as last year.   No actually this was a planned family vacation by my wife.  Don't tell her but I would rather be building back in the mountains. I do have my pressure treated lumber ordered and they will deliver it as soon as I return.  The children have all theirs camps and music workshops out of the way so my son can help now.

Can't wait to get back.

MountainDon

Breaks are nice John. Enjoy!

Fireplace looks nice.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

That FP will be a hit in the fall.  :)

Redoverfarm

Yes Scott it will be a good place to sit, relax and watch the fall colors change in the fall. 

Started the wrap around deck this week.  Off to a slow start.  The lumber that I had ordered to be delivered 1st thing Wednesday morning didn't arrive until 3PM so not much accomplished.  I did however get the coil stock broke for water protection against the rim joist.  I followed that by adding a layer of ice guard and then bolted the ledger of the deck in place to about 50% of the attachment to the cabin.  I managed to get this much done on Thursday.  No work today.  I had to travel to my sisters again and help her out hanging and finishing drywall.  Hope to get started full speed again on Monday.

ben2go

Will you be hanging gutters to help divert water and snow melt?Are gutters even a good idea in high snow fall areas?

Redoverfarm

Ben the jury is still out on that one.  There was a lot of people last winter that lost gutters due to the large amount of snow we got.  Even those who had "snow birds" or guards had them ripped off the roof. 

poppy

John, I have been following your progress even though I have not weighed in much.  Looking good.  [cool]

I loved the redneck-jumper cable metaphor.  I may use that.  :)

Redoverfarm

After a long week I am finally starting to nail some deck boards in place.  Hooray.  Not so fast.  After installing about 120 sq ft my compressor quit.  Still running but will not get above 80PSI which is well short of the needed 90-120 PSI for the nail gun.  While it was running my son noticed a "pop" sound and it sounded a little different.  Shortly afterward he said "Dad I don't have any pressure".  With 700 more Sq Ft I'll try to find one to borrow.  I have a larger Coleman compressor but I am afraid that it draws more amps than I have to where I am drawing it from.  Might have to run it strickly off the generator and not through the house wiring.

Does anyone know what the allowable deck railing height would be.  Not that I am under any code restriction but trying to utilize the most of my 6X6 post I am coming up with a total heigth of 41" including the top cap.  

Surprising enough the rough framing was pretty darn close.  The only part that gave me fits was the 40 deg angle on one side and 47 deg on the other.  Nothing a sawzall and belt sander can't fix. ;)  

I decided late in the project that I would include a ramp. The section is on the side pictured on the July 9th post which will run from the log structure to the point that it changes angles toward the fireplace.  Yes I am fairly healthy now but I know in time that may not be the case and I want to enjoy this cabin "even in my golden years".  So the ramp is 42" wide for a distance of 16' with a rise of 1" per foot with a 42" X 5' landing.

Maybe when I post again I can include some photographs to give you some idea of the layout.

ScottA

Hand rails are generaly 30-36" high. But I'm sure this varies by location.

Redoverfarm

Somehow Scott 36" was what was sticking in my mind but my son said " Dad that's too low to lean on"  I guess with the added heigth it would prevent someone from wanting to sit on them Huh.  ;D  I did notice that the pickets were 42" in length obiviously they would have to be cut down anyway.

Don_P

36" is residential, 42" is commercial height. Remember that the railing is a lever, the taller you make it the stronger it needs to be. It sounds like you're on the money with the ramp specs.

My little compressor gave up the other day after a long round of using the palm nailer on joist hangers. I told the homeowner to let it cool down and try it again later. There is no way his generator is going to pull my 5 horse. I got there the next morning and he wasn't there so I fired up the genny and tried it, it worked and I started the day. He showed up a little while later and said "I bought you a new compressor". I told him it seemed to be working fine and he didn't need to do that. I've become real reluctant over the years to loan tools, I've gotten back so many that were ruined. This is someone I would be happy to loan a tool to.

Redoverfarm

Well here is the deck up to date.  My son and I have been humping the last couple of days.  The generator would not run the 5HP compressor.  So a trip a little further up on the mountain revealed that my friend had one (pancake) that he wasn't using.  As of this evening we had all the deck boards installed that we had on hand.  I am the worlds worst when it comes to estimating material.  Ran short of 9 deck boards to finish the main deck.  The handicap ramp was an add-on so I knew it would take more than what I originally bought.  Anyway here are some pictures of the semi-finished deck excluding the handrails.

ScottA

Wow! Looks great John.  :) That ramp will make getting firewood easier.  ;)

Sassy

Yes, it looks wonderful!  That will make a really nice area to sit out w/family, have barbecues, watch the sunset...  anything new inside the house?  I'm waiting for a room by room picture tour! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Sassy  not much to add on the interior.  It is basicly finished with the exception of furnishings which I am slowly acquirring "one piece at a time"  so to speak at estate sales, auctions and the like.  I would give you a tour but the rooms next to doors are filled with tools.  Seems they are like magnets for tool storage staging area until I get the deck finished.  By the time you get to the East Coast it will be cleaned up  ;)

Scott yes the deck and ramp will come in handy for getting wood in.  Wheel borrow right up the ramp and I can take it in the back door.  Even enough room to stack up a coupkle of ricks there as well.  Better than last year when I had it stacked up on the front porch.   ;D

I finished the ramp & deck flooring today.  So it looks as if Monday or the first of the week I will work on two sets of stairs and the railings.  I think after this week I will just enjoy a Gin & Tonic. ;D

glenn kangiser

Nice deck, John.  I'll remind Sassy to take her camera when she comes by to check it out. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dog

Wow John! Looking good! Bet you're acquiring some really interesting furniture. Can't wait to see the pics.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

DOG I haven't gotten a lot yet only dressers and chest.  It seems that estate auctions have slowed down here lately.  I did purchase about 75 gunny sacks which I may convert them to curtains later.  

Yesterday I finished the deck for the time being.  The only portion remaining is adding two benches to the area adjacent to the fireplace on either side.  I have been looking for plans which will suit the space.  I may have to wait on that portion of the project until I get the stone laid on the fireplace so I can properly place them.  Building them first would probably create a headache in laying the stone.  

After the railings have dried out in a couple of months I plan on routing the edges , sanding and staining them the same color as the siding on the B&B addition.  The floor I will probably wait until the following year to treat.

Here is a few pictures of the finished deck.  

ScottA

That really looks sharp.  :D

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Jeepers, John. You've been busy over the past few weeks. Looking good!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.