Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Pretty light day today.  I picked up some more pine poles for the rustic railing.  Basicly the same amount as last time but they were more of the 7-9' lengths.  Everything left were too big to use as railings or pickets.  Maybe tomarrow or Friday  I will start peeling them as I did the others.

Here is a finished picture of the fireplace remodel that I had posted the other day.  The grout is still dark from yesterday but should lighten to match the previously done stone work.  I am not 100 % pleased with the results.  Has nothing to do with the actual installation but I only had a limited amout of stone remaining from the previous stone work around the cabin.  And that just happened to be smaller pieces.  Maybe I will get used to it. If not I will tear it out and do it over later.  The soot present is from the welder and should clean off.

Some time back I had found some old Chestnut fence rails.  I plan on using them to landscape later.  Considering they are probably 80 years old they are in fair shape.  They were used in this area frequently before the use of steel wire for fencing.  These have been exposed to the weather their entire life.

jdhen

Red- I think the fireplace looks great.  You probably couldn't get any stones much larger in there anyway, don't you think?  I'll bet it will all blend in once the grout lines lighten to match the rest.
Jesse

ScottA

Fireplace looks good to me. Does it work? I wish I had a few of those fence rails. They look really cool.

Redoverfarm

Yeah Scott they are in great demand.  Most sell in the big cities for about $20 a rail.  Here is what they normally look like assembled.  Pretty common sight around here on the older farms.  Some actually still hold livestock to this day.

As far as how it works now I am not certain.  It would have to be an improvement over the way it was before (which I could have actually used).  I was going to give it a few days to cure out and try it maybe the first of the week.  

Thanks jdhen I was just wanting some longer stones to make it from the edge of the opening to the keystone. 

Sassy

I think the fireplace looks great!  Only you would know that it was different or not exactly what you wanted, but to me, I'd be perfectly happy with it  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Yesterday I sealed the beveled plate in the back with fireplace cement.  Not that it really mattered to most but it is one less place that smoke would accumulate and not exit the firebox.  The directions recommended that it be cured for 2 hours.  I didn't want to stay there yesterday for two hours and watch the fireburn.  So today I built a fire and cured the cement.  It was "Red Devil" brand that cures hard up to temperatures of 1,000 degrees.  I was so used to using the putty knife kind that this was a easy installation with a caulking tube.   Here is a picture which shows the cured grout on the stones I laid which lightened to match the rest. BTW the alteration probably improved the performance of the firebox by at least 50%.

I lost another trusty tool today peeling the logs. I knew it would happend eventiually as there was a crack in the middle.  I kept holding my breath but it finally gave out.  Thank goodness for Peternap who sent me one last year that he had gotten at a yard sell.  Not quite the tool as it was modern built.  It is a "Dunlop" brand but if I can ever get a decent edge on it I will be set for another 20 years or so.  The one that bit the dust only has markings to indicate # 10 which I assume is the blade length.  It is doubtfull that it can be repaired.  Any welding or brazing would probably not hold an edge unless I tempered and then I am not sure.

ScottA

I'd mount it on a board and hang it in the cabin somewhere.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ScottA on March 23, 2010, 04:06:44 PM
I'd mount it on a board and hang it in the cabin somewhere.

There is a few artifacts or objects that were discovered since I started building.  I think I will make a shadow box some day and display them in that.  All have a history behind them.

glenn kangiser

That one looks like it was well used and earned it's place on the wall. 

I'd weld it up with steel - maybe a gas torch weld with extra carbon in the flame - use some good high carbon steel - old hack saw blade etc,  for filler material - or just gas weld it with no added filler...  it could be an emergency functional artifact.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

you could remove the handles, anneal the metal, weld it, temper it, and put the handles back on.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

I'm little slow, the fireplace looks very nice, John.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

It has been a few weeks since I seriously did any measurable work on the cabin.  Had other commitments that needed tending to helping my parents doing some repairs on their house on the other side of the state.  They are trying to get some things done to put it on the market to sell and move closer to my location.  Also been spending some time on the net researching in preparation for power and water. Since Grid power is out of the question at $55,000 I had to come up with something else. 

Today I changed the crawlspace vents to automatic rather than manuel.  It should have been that way at the beginning but didn't come into play until I decided to put a wrap-around deck in the back.  I couldn't visualize crawling under a deck to open/close twice a year.  In addition I installed vent wells so that I could raise the grade next to the house to get the water away from the foundation. 

In the picture you will see the rim joist which will get Ice guard, metal flashing, another layer of ice guard (PT lumber) and a rim joist bolted to the house joist for the deck framing.     

They are back.  A couple weeks early this year and a few less eggs.  Same nest as last year but remodeled for the new tennants.

Tomarrow I will start laying out the deck for the footings of the block piers.

Solar Burrito

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 23, 2010, 01:51:13 PM

I lost another trusty tool today peeling the logs. I knew it would happend eventiually as there was a crack in the middle.  I kept holding my breath but it finally gave out.  Thank goodness for Peternap who sent me one last year that he had gotten at a yard sell.  Not quite the tool as it was modern built.  It is a "Dunlop" brand but if I can ever get a decent edge on it I will be set for another 20 years or so.  The one that bit the dust only has markings to indicate # 10 which I assume is the blade length.  It is doubtfull that it can be repaired.  Any welding or brazing would probably not hold an edge unless I tempered and then I am not sure.

Ebay is full of this antique gems at great prices. I bought on just like yours... very old off ebay in great condition for around $35 shipped. There are dozens to choose from. It did take me 3 trys to buy one however since the competition is fierce! I think most people are collecting where as most of us on here would using them! I sure don't see these at my local Home Depot.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OkieJohn2

Golly, I think it is too early to type this BUT....I would sure be tempted to attach a spring steel semi circle to the drawknife and wear it at Halloween, like the arrow thru the head thing.  :)

The chestnut fence rails reminded me of what my grandad had behind the big barn, next to the old horse drawn road grader, it was a bunch of tipi style stacks of Osage orange fence posts, a lifetime supply.  Osage orange is also known as
Bois d'arc and was used for hunting bows.  Talk about a tough wood, you know you are going to end up with smashed fingers when stapling on barbed wire. 
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

ScottA

John where are you? Anyone seen John lately? He's been MIA for a while.

Redoverfarm

Still kicking Scott.  Rained most of the day today and seeing that I am on the outside again that pretty well puts a damper on things,  Last week I dug 11 footers 24"X24"X18" for deck piers.  Started by hand but with the majority of the ground being "groundhog shale" I quickly changed gears for a more appropriate tool.  I got a Bosch "Brute" jackhammer.  Still work but not like the digging iron which took 2-1/2 hours for the first.  Plan on setting the rebar for the concrete tomorrow weather permitting.  If all goes well (Weather wise) Wednesday I will go pickup the Portland, sand, grave, block and mortar for the block piers and gate post.  I hate picking up sand by the ton in the rain and paying for water in the deal.

I have been doing a lot of research on inverters and well pumps for the cabin.  The jury is still out on that one.  The cabin is basically finished with the exception of the gas range and gas refrigerator.  Still have the septic to install and am waiting for my friend to get a break in his workload.  I guess everything will happen at one time when it does. 

It seems that I has procrastinated the big ticket items until last.  $3,000 septic, $3,500 inverter and batteries, well pump $600-800, Frig $1,400, range $400 and deck about $1,400.

I will post some pics when I do something worthy enough.  Thanks for thinking of me.

Dog

The fireplace is beautiful! I'm always blown away when I see what you're been working on!  :o
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

This weekend my parents came to visit.  My mother made me a hanging wall quilt for the cabin which she worked on this past winter.  Thought I would share it with you.

Redoverfarm

I moved to another phase of Dogtrot.  I had originally planned this later in the summer but with the weather cooperating I thought I would move ahead.  I began last week on the foundation footings for the wrap around deck to the rear and sides of the cabin.  The rough sketch shows little detail only the general layout.  On each side of the "board and batten" room their is 10'X18' and 13'X18' .  There is 12'X39'6" on the ends which will have 45 deg angle on each side to a 12'X16' which is included in the total demension.  Although I say 45 degree it is far from it being that there is different demensions on either side.  I had originally planned on 10'X16' rear platform which will eventually incorporate an outside fireplace.  But decided later that it was really insufficent room and changed it to 12'X16'.   d* d*.  Of course that meant moving the concrete footings for the different demensions. With all said I mixed and poured the 8 pier footings, fireplace footing and two gatepost footings.  

The piers will be concrete block laid to support the floor joist.  I was able to pickup "cull" blocks at the supplier which were about 1/3 of the cost of 1st run blocks @ $.57 ech.  Being that they will be covered in stone the appearence was not critical.  Before you comment on the batter boards I can tell you that it is almost impossible to drive wooden stakes into the ground.  So I used what was available being # 7 rebar with the actual boards wired to them which were set at grade.  There are even batter boards attached to nearby cooperating trees on the high side.  I will just have to double check them before starting and work when the wind is not blowing.  ;D This is on the high side which will be approximately 4' feet above the ground.  Hey it works.  ;)

Here are some photographs of the deck area and rough sketch.  Sorry I wasn't able to scan the sketch and transfer it but this will give you some idea of my plans. You will notice that out of  "er on the side of caution" I cut a dead "rock or chestnut" oak tree some 18" in diameter which was located on the corner of the deck.  

ScottA

That deck's going to be awsome. I like your mom's quilt work.

Sassy

I like your mom's quilt, too!  Wow, that will be a nice deck!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Back on track the last couple of days.  My friend the block layer got the OK from his doctor to resume his regular activities but in moderation.  So we have been working 1/2 days and got all the piers laid for the rear deck.  The shortest pier was 3 courses and the highest was 5 courses.  I had 4 piers that were somewhat unusual in that they had approximately 40 degree turn working our way around the board and batten room from each side.  Here are a couple of pictures and with the sketch of May 6th post maybe you can get the gist of what I am trying to accomplish.  It is amazing what a good block layer can accomplish.

End (north side)

East Side

West Side

Angle Piers (two per side)

The piers will be filled solid with concrete.  The fireplace is next on the agenda which will be raised to 5 courses then filled with #57 stone, formed and then a 3" concrete cap will be poured to allow the building of the firebox and hearth.

Redoverfarm

Beat the rain again today. Yes it did rain which is an everyday occurrence this time of the year but it held off until I was finishing the last pier.   Yesterday I picked up another ton of sand, Portland and hopefully enough blocks to finish.  So I jumped in this morning and filled all the block piers with concrete.  I am sort of glad that his project is drawing to an end.  Portland jumped $3 a bag and Type S mortar jumped $2 a bag from when I first started.  Doesn't sound like much but considering that I have bought dozen upon dozens of bags it soon adds up.

On the lighter side the birds have flown the coop so to speak.  But mother is right on the ball and has laid another 3 eggs in the nest for a second go round. What energy.

glenn kangiser

That's going to be a cool deck, John.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

poppy

Nice deck project there, John.  [cool]

The description of the fireplace base sounds like it's for a massive fireplace.  Allow me to put in a serious plug for the Rumford design.  It will give you a wide angle of radiant heat.

I would think that the Rumford fireplace would be about perfect for an outside setting.  One doesn't really need any thermal mass in that setting.