Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Your house is mad ART John!  Amazing 8)
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

Got a little late start this morning on Dogtrot. A neighbor needed to finish his flue at his summer home about 4-1/2 miles up the mountain from mine.  So being neighborly I told him that I would give him a hand.  I parged the flue in about 2-1/2 hrs.  It was 8' tall, 30" deep and about 7' wide.  Sorry son since you are with me today you can mix the mortar.   ;)  He was paid and I think overpaid as Ken gave him a new "Buck" survival bowie knife.  Dad didn't get anything as it was for a friend and his friendship was paid in full.

Here is a picture of the before. A lot of uneven blocks but I did manage to get the parging half way level so that I can lay some stone on it in a week or two.

Here is  pictures of the after

Here is his house that he has been working on for the last 13 years.  There used to be an A frame which is almost in line with what he has now but had been removed.  Another old trooper who was shot in the early 70's and is disabled.

Did manage to salvage a portion of the day.  Trimmed out three interior doors and run some base molding in the cabin.

This is  pictures of the bathroom "knotty pine" door. Same door just different angle.  The color is closer to the first.  I guess the flash just made it apper reddish.

Here is the master bedroom door which is on the same wall off the foyer as the bathroom door.

Sorry no hardware on the doors.  There is an auction coming up this Saturday and I hope to pick up some matching knobs to what I already have to be installed.  

Redoverfarm

I got another door set to the loft bathroom and trimmed out. About the same as yesterday with a "knotty pine" door. Still some more base to run but I have got to trim out the pocket door for the master bath before I can continue.  That holds up the Master bedroom and bath progress.  I did however haul the kitchen cabinets to the cabin from the house and set them to see what the fit was like.  I think I did find the diamond hole saws to use from a plumber.  Maybe next week I will tackle the cabinets.

Oh yeah I thought that some might find it a little curious about my friends flue with their being a 6" pipe near the ground level.  It is for a wood fired hot tub,  So the flue is for both the fireplace and the hot tub.

ScottA

It's looking almost finished John. Nice work.  :)

Mike 870

What is the name of the stain you used for the door? Looks great.

Bishopknight

John, amazing job, grace and I are sitting here admiring your work. Our next house will have this kind of detail, for sure!  ;D

Redoverfarm

For those who have been keeping abreast of the Dogtrot progress you have probably noticed that there hasn't been any for the last week.  My wife convinced me to take a week off ( 1st time in the last three years).  So we ended up on the Outer Banks of NC for a week.  Nice but a tad too hot for me.  Everyone had a good time.  I took a few photographs. But to the important information first.

Bishopknight Thanks for the kind words.  I don't think I will ever make it to another house.  I still have to finish this one and I still have about 1400 sq ft to finish with my full time residence (garage loft, shop and garage.  I have not really needed now so I guess that is why I have put it off.  Although the shop would be nice.

Mike 870   I really don't know exactly what the stain color is on the door.  It was bought pre-finished.  It is a solid mahogony door.  The touch up material (stain marker and wax pencil) that was with the door is labeled as "Mohawk M280-1522, Oak , Statesman #2" if that will help you.

ListerD

[shocked]

Looks awesome! Been a bit since I checked this thread. Great job on the place. The stone work is "to die for".
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

ScottA

That last batch of pics don't show for me John.

Redoverfarm

Sorry Scott.  I moved that portion to "Just needed a break".  I thought I had it taken care of but apparently I didn't.  No new building pics.

Redoverfarm

Bishopknight I was going back through my thread and you commented on the stain and the roof color. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.   The stain is Olympic "Driftwood" semi-transparent.   The roof is called "Burnished Slate" and is also labeled by some companies as Antique Brown. 

Redoverfarm

Most of this week was spent trimming out the cabin.  I figure that I am about 95% finished with that task.  I had roughly 36 feet of either transition/ threshold material to install at the bathroom doors, hearth and where the kitchen meets the hardwood.  I priced transition strips and the cheapest I could find was about $4 a foot.  [shocked] They only had 36" & 72" available.   So I went to my local mill and found some 3/4" X 3" T&G white oak.  I cut the T&G off and milled it to resemble transition.  Another factor other than the price (which was bad enough) was that the only solid wood transition I could find was for a 3/8" elevation.  With the Kitchen I had 1/2".  The hearth I could get by with 3/8".  The added width actually helped without making the transition too steep.  In addition I installed the pocket door to the bathroom from the master bedroom.   The price of the white oak was roughly $14 and I had the time it took to mill and finish.  Here are a few photographs of what I accomplished.  There are so many other things to do I am not sure what I will start on next.  Just have to wait and see what strikes my fancy.  ;D

Front Foyer meeting the kitchen

Rear Foyer meeting the Kitchen

Fireplace Hearth

Pocket Door

MountainDon

Wow! Looks very nice John.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Not exactly Dogtrot but I have been working.  A couple weeks ago I helped my neighbor with his chimney.  Well the last couple of days I went back and laid the stone on the majority.  I left him to complete the back (roof side) and grout.  Not some of my better work but hey I only had a 16" (2-2'X8") walkboards at the most to sit a mud pan, cut off saw, stone and Me. The front had a littel more room for staging and pulling up mud buckets, stone and the like.  He's happy so that what counts. Hopefully I can get back to my project with the kitchen cabinets.  I have been waiting for a diamond hole saw to run the drain and gas lines through the marble. Should find out tonight if a friend has located his at another job site.

Yesterday we had to quit early because of a thunderstorn that passed through.  I really didn't feel confortable standing on the steel roof with all of the antennas sticking up around me.  Before I could make it off one strike did come fairly close.  I could visualize being lit up like a candle.  ;D

Bishopknight

Ah cool John, very nice. Like I said, I really like the colors. Grace and I also love your front door.

Redoverfarm

Minimal amount of work on Dogtrot this week.  I did manage to get the island anchored in the kitchen and constructed the top ( Laminated 2 layers of  3/4" plywood glued and screwed). I thinsetted the "Ditra" on top after cutting out the sink opening.  Sorry no pics.  I was hoping that I could get by without putting Corbels on the 1' overhang but I don't think it will be strong enough and the marble tile countertop will break. You know how some people just like to lean on the bar.  ;D  Oh Well just another project to the list of many.

After helping one neighbor get started with his stone flue project I was again drafted by another neighbor to get him started.  I may have spoken of him on here before but he is a retired WWF National Wrestling champion.  Commonly known as "Hands of Stone". He lives in the Charlotte area and is building a cabin about 1/4 mile from mine. He refers to it as a cabin but it is honestly a house away from home.  He wanted to construct a stone flue for his free standing soapstone stove.  So being the person that I am I told him that I would get him started in the process. Here is a picture of the chase and one side that I parged.  He picked up on the process really well and begin the opposite side with the leftover mortar.  Once he gets it finished parging I will probably go over and get him started on his stone work.

Redoverfarm

Well I started setting the kitchen cabinets this week.  Two are permanently set and the third (sink & island)will have to wait.  I still haven't located a diamond hole saw for the drain line and supply that goes through the marble floor.  The cabinet tops are double 3/4" ply with Ditra on top.  I laid the marble yesterday and grouted today.  I will trim the edges with oak similar to the transition color that I had put in a week or so ago.  Here are a couple of pictured of the base units.  Since I grouted there is still a grout haze on the marble.  When it cured I will buff it out the same as the floor.  I waited on installing the upper cabinets until I had the countertop tiled.  I could just imagine how many times I would bump my head.  Just made sense to wait for ease of tile installation.  Miss my go-for today.  He started school.

Redoverfarm

I went to Lowes this morning to pick up the needed plumbing parts for the double bowl sink in the kitchen.  While I was there I priced a 1-3/8" diamond hole saw.  $ 70  [shocked].  I hate to put that much money into drilling 6 holes and probably never use it again.  I had an inquiry to a friend (plumber) who is building himself.  He said that he had one but has misplaced it in the construction process.  So I put out another inquiry and should hear from him this evening.  I went ahead and drilled the waste line the old fashioned way.  Tracing the pipe outline with a permanent marker on the marble floor followed by drilling SEVERAL 5/32" holes with a carbide bit and water flow on the line.  I driller another  1/2" hole in the center and then took a chisel and broke from the outside line to the center.  It took nearly 2 hour for that one hole.  But it didn't crack the rest of the tile. ;D  The remaining holes are for gas and water supply lines.  If I don't hear anything tonight I will attempt the two supply lines (adjacent) to the waste line tomarrow.  This process needs to be done to permanently secure the island so i can tile it.  It doesn't have to be pretty because the island sits over the holes and it will not be seen. I am undecided about the other holes but there is always escutcheons right.

considerations

"It doesn't have to be pretty"

Only you and the mice will know for sure.  ;)

Redoverfarm

considerations I am hoping that I have most of the holes sealed up.  The mice were a problem early on but you never know.  As the saying goes in the movie "Field of Dreams" in that "If you build it they will come".  Kind of hard building something in the woods and not expect some guest.

As for today I permanently secured the island.  The plumbing holes are not a pretty sight but will do.  I wrapped the island with 1x6 T&G.  The only thing remaining to do is the corbels on the island bar.  I cut them out this evening and hopefully over the weekend I can get them finished and install them Monday and begin tileing the countertop.  

I saw my neighbor ( the fireplace stone work help) this evening and asked him to stop by Monday and help me with the upper cabinets.  Too much to hold and secure myself given the uneveness of the walls (logs) and the need to shim them out.  

Anyway here is a picture of the plumbing holes I had mentioned in the earlier post.  Sort of looks like a drunk groundhog with buck teeth cut them out.

The before

The after

This is the Island after I installed the T&G

If you are wondering what this picture is depicting it is a work station.  I changed the design on the corner cabinet which was suppose to have an 18" cabinet adjacent to the corner unit.  I moved the 18" cabinet 30" to the right to create a mini-bar or work station. It is hidden in the photo behind the island.   I just thought it might be nice to have a little more countertop area.  I guess with a little overhead lighting it would be a good place to sit down and pay the bills. [waiting]

ScottA

Starting to come together. Looks good.  :)

Redoverfarm

Moving right along.  I got the corbels installed on the island this morning.  Then cut and dry fit the tile for the countertop which I will lay tomarrow.  I was sweating at the corner cuts on the bar top around the sink.  Marble has a tendency to break in small narrow pieces so cutting out for the sink was slow.  But none of them broke as I had anticipated.  

My neighbor stopped by and helped me put up the upper cabinets.  All that is remaining on them is to install the shelves and hang the glass front doors.  I still have the toe-kick to put on the cabinets and base around the island.  

Here is a picture of the corbels and the upper cabinets.

Sorry that the last picture is offset a little. On my screen I have to use the bar at the bottom to bring it in line.  

ScottA

Dog

Wow! You got a lot done today!  Looking good!
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.