running electrical wiring

Started by jb daniels, November 27, 2004, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb daniels

I am going to be ready to get some wiring installed, outlets, lighting fixtures, etc...I am new at this and was wondering if someone has any pointers on this or a good informative website with a question/answer forum...the panel will be installed by a professional, but how do I run individual wires from, lets say, plug outlets etc...do I run all of them individually to the box area from the different locations?...thanks...

jraabe

Make sure you have the electrician check the wire to use, that the boxes meet local code and then check and connect up the cables to the panel.

Too many of my owner-builder clients have done their own wiring only to have to tear it out because of a subtle code change.

The George Nash book (2nd on list) has a good overview and process flow on electrical work.

http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

Bouncer

I have found the wiring book at Home Depot useful.
It Give you the basics of diferent kinds of wiring.
Kevin

cancertomnpdx

Several years ago I took out Black and Decker books on both electrical and plumbing from the library that were very good.  Or at least, excellent for the basics for someone like me with no experience.

Ray N

One thing I always find a pain when I run wiring is bending 12 gauge wire (for 20 amp lines).  The bending I'm refereing to is screwing them to the sockets and pushing them back into the boxes.  For a cabin I would just do 15 amps to all but one recepticle as thus use 14 gauge wire which isn't such a pain to work with.

If you going to have a meduim duty appliance (space heater, hair dryer or similar)  you so have a 20 amp and 12 gauge.  It would pay to get a GFI circuit on this one.

You can string all recepticals together in one circuit, and save room in your box for expansion,  lights should be on another circuit.  If you want an outside receptical (always a good thing to have) put that on another circuit,  since it may get wet and trip.

Not a bad DIY project.

karl

it can be really complicated but need not be. if you sketchout your plan--say, the outlets from 2 rooms on a 20amp breaker and the lights from 2 rooms on a 15amp breaker then have an electrician check your plan for things like wire gauge and the need for gfci protection. you'll probably be fine--assuming you get and understand one of the forementioned books.

jb daniels

Thanks all...I'm a little freaked about doing it myself, but a buddy of mine is going to help. He has done it for years on odd jobs here and there...I will take your advice and check out some of those books.