Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I got some disturbing news yesterday. The hiway department refsed my request to build an all weater access road to my property saying there wasn't enough visability. What makes me mad is I had the local superintendent come out and look at my plans back in October and he said he didn't see any problems and signed my application. What's more there are 6 other roads connected to the hiway within a mile of my place and none of those roads meets the state requirments either and a couple have less visability than mine. One of these roads was built by a land developer less than 6 months ago. A call to the superintendent that signed my application wasn't returned. So now I'm faced with building a 600' road intead of a 100' road. Something smells in this whole deal.

John Raabe

Sorry to hear you have to start playing politics! >:(

You might take photos of the other access points, make a report and send copies around to higher-ups. If you don't lose your cool and ask for a review in a professional manner it might be worth the effort.

All this stuff is just opinions anyway and subject to which side of the bed someone got up on. (And opinions can change - especially if heels don't get dug in.)

Best wishes for the new year. At least the building is looking good. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ScottA

Well I got the the girl at the hiway office to tell me the super is on vacation this week. She also told me that these visability regulations are a written standard that the engineers must go by. I asked about the recent road built by the developer and basicly she told me he didn't have a permit but built it anyways. I hinted at if she knew what would happen if I did the same and she didn't say anything. This leads me to belive that they know the rules don't work in the real world and will basicly look the other way as long as they can deny any responsability.

ScottA

My son and I finnished the subfloor today.

Happy New Year All!

glenn kangiser

Good progress, Scott.  The best to you too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lonelytree

Looks great!!!!

I am starting to really like it.

MountainDon

See he's got a wood pile back there.  :)

All the best in '08!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

We have a wall.

ScottA

These logs will become the posts that will hold up the loft and roof over the veranda after I get them peeled and cut to size.

Finnished 10 more feet of wall framing by the kitchen window.

This limb came down in the ice storm last month. It landed 20' from the cabin. We had debated cutting this tree down when we where clearing. I guess Mother Nature decided it needed to come down. I won't argue the point.

Redoverfarm

ScottA

Just set 5 Locust post today ( avg 8-10" diam) for the porch roof support. Hope your's were lighter than mine.  I have several larger trees left around my cabin but I think if they go it will be the other direction.  While working on the cabin I had a rock or chestnut oak fall from the ice. It was 24-30"diam. I hadn't expected it to go. Wasn't really near the cabin but it decided it had stood long enough I guess. :o

ScottA

QuoteHope your's were lighter than mine.

Nothing light about these logs. Also 8-10" but white oak. Was quite an effort getting them out of the truck.

Sorry you lost that big oak. I hate to see them go. I think we are safe from the trees for now. This was the only one that was really iffy and as predicted it missed when it fell.

Redoverfarm

I had noticed this summer that there was a fungus growing around the base but didn't pay that much attention to actually what it was. When it went down there were no roots attached to the stump. It was just like they had disolved. Thats probably what the fungus was.  It was not that good of a species anyway. Doesn't burn that clean for firewood(leaves alot of ash).

Interesting about the weight. I hauled mine up on a trailer that I had loaded them onto with the tractor at the house. Normally I would have left my tractor on the mountain but most of my really heavy lifting was over and I moved it back home for the snow season. Anyway my son 13 YOA went with me to take them up on Saturday. On the way he said "shucks the tractor is at the house how are we going to unload them". I told him " the old way son with your back" his reply again "shucks".  We got it done by swinging them from the trailer to the porch using the side of the trailer to cantelever them over onto the porch floor. Took about 5 minutes.

ScottA

Revised floorplan. Additional details added and some minor changes.

ScottA

Made a little progress this week. This framing stuff is harder than it looks.

glenn kangiser

Looks good, Scott.  That porch will be cool.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

I look forward to seeing how your porch works in under the roof.  I do like your floor plan very much.  Lots of planning went into that, and it sure looks like it will be very livable. 
Watching your progress,
Christina

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, I really like the fact that though it is really small, it is very well thought-out and completely liveable.... I sometimes wonder how the pioneers lived in such small cabins and dugouts, but then a little planning goes a very long way.  Your house is going to be awesome... and by the way, I like having the washer and dryer right inside the door because when you come in covered in red clay or manure or whatever, it'll be nice to be able to shed everything right into the washer without having to track through the whole house.  Looks like your weather is going to be a little cooler this week for working outdoors... hope that the framing goes faster as you go, and that the weather will cooperate with you on it. 

ScottA

Thanks for the kind encouraging words. I spent several months trying to boil down what's really needed in a home without losing anything that is. My wife is starting to fall in love with the design even though she was sceptical at first that I could make a small house work. Problem is when women start taking an intrest in a house the price seems to suddenly start going up. I originaly planned on rustic but now it looks like like this will become some sort of craftsman style home with details to the nines. Craftsman style being much more high end than rustic but still woodsy. She has some really cool ideas so this might turn out rather well if I can pull it all together. My best friend is an expert at high end interiors and woodworking so I might get lucky.

Here's an example. That round hole was going to be a normal window($200) . After my wife got involved it turned into this...

$800 specialty window. http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/Satellite/AW/AWProduct/awProductDetail/AWProduct/1136264459195/1102951372825?model=400+Series+Circle+Windows&pc=Window&tab=1-1

CWhite

I like the specialty window, and completely understand needing those details.  I paid more for the 2 quarter rounds in my house than any other window in the house, and had to wait 6 weeks for them to arrive.  They really add a lot to the front, and I'm glad I did it.  My husband nods a lot, but he really agrees with those windows being there. 

Now your house is going to be even more fun to watch the progress on. 

When women get involved, it becomes a home. 
Christina

MountainDon

That's looking good Scott. I like the 'specialty' window. I have an 2 ft. octagon shape in our plans. And I did it to ourselves, myself.  ;D  No input needed. I can spend money with the same flourish as my wife.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Scott A said:  "My wife is starting to fall in love with the design even though she was sceptical at first that I could make a small house work. Problem is when women start taking an intrest in a house the price seems to suddenly start going up. I originaly planned on rustic but now it looks like like this will become some sort of craftsman style home with details to the nines."

Christina said:  "When a woman gets involved, it becomes a home"

Glenn said, "when a man makes a home, it's a nest"    d* d*

BTW, I like your plan Scott & I like even more what your wife is adding  :) ;D

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Better watch out, Scott.  When women get involved it becomes more complicated.  When the stove went out two Novembers ago, I got involved in the remodeling process of our kitchen, and even though it didn't cost more (probably less, actually) than what DH was thinking, it has certainly been time-consuming and complicated.  After 14 months, we're finally done with all the major work in there... there are still touch-ups, but nothing huge.

williet

Scott,
I see those windows at the Habitat restore all the time. Have you looked there? It might be a different size, but around here, it would only cost $30 or $40 and most likely be new.

ScottA

It's already more complicated Homegrown but that's ok we have plenty of time. I don't need to move in for 2 more years. I haven't discussed it but this is just phase 1 of the project. We also plan to build a small guest cottage that will be conected via a deck extention. I'm looking for designs for that already. I like the little 200 sq. ft. cottage I saw in the contest thread. There is also a garage a shop and alot of landscaping plans in the works as well.

Willet I've got several people out looking already for a cheaper window. There is a habitat store in Tulsa. I may drive over soon and have a look. If you see one somewhere for $40 I'd gladly buy it for double and pay the shipping. The framing is for the 2-0 version Andersen makes.

Redoverfarm

Scott there is a builders auction coming up in this area 2/2 and they always have a few of those windows new for around $40-60. Some are special order and returned because of the wrong size.  I haven't paid full price for windows in the last 4 years since they started coming around. I got a Andersons double hung double 36" window set for $25(new). Shame you are not closer.