"The Barn"

Started by Texas Tornado, August 09, 2010, 02:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Tornado

I will be loading pictures soon  ;D

ScottA

phalynx

:-\  Oooh, I think this was an episode of Seinfeld.

Texas Tornado

Hey I am learning as I go....And teaching an old dog new tricks is a work in progress  ???

Texas Tornado

bayview

Quote from: Texas Tornado on August 09, 2010, 08:24:45 PM
This was the start.
https://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/weetreebonsai/The%20Barn/

I'm am having problems viewing your pictures . . .    It wants me to "Login" to your account.   ?    Keeps asking for a password.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Texas Tornado

Quote from: bayview on August 09, 2010, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: Texas Tornado on August 09, 2010, 08:24:45 PM
This was the start.
https://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/weetreebonsai/The%20Barn/

I'm am having problems viewing your pictures . . .    It wants me to "Login" to your account.   ?    Keeps asking for a password.

/

Sorry....Had to change the settings....

Texas Tornado

bayview

Nice barn . . .    Machine shed.   Will you be building a home soon on the same property?

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Texas Tornado

Yup...We are wanting to retire and move closer to the folks, just have to get hubby pinned down on what kind of house....I want to downsize and he is comfortable with a big house  ???....I am looking for plans for a 1 story (too old for stairs), I have really enjoyed looking at all the postings here and truly love the creative touches.. The two issue's we have is finding help for the stuff we can't build/do and being in South Texas with the property in Oklahoma....
Irene

astidham

Nice Barn!!! What part of oklahoma? me and the wife are near tulsa
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Texas Tornado on August 10, 2010, 09:42:19 PM
No comments??? ???

Didn't have any problems with the link.  Forget the house and partition a section of the barn off as living quarters.  Looks like there is enough room in there for tractors and people. ;D

Texas Tornado

Quote from: astidham on August 11, 2010, 11:33:19 AM
Nice Barn!!! What part of oklahoma? me and the wife are near tulsa

Near Kingston...

Texas Tornado

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 11, 2010, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: Texas Tornado on August 10, 2010, 09:42:19 PM
No comments??? ???

Didn't have any problems with the link.  Forget the house and partition a section of the barn off as living quarters.  Looks like there is enough room in there for tractors and people. ;D

LOL That is what I tease Dad with! Barndominium...Dad gets a foreboding look on his face when I say it  :o
I want to build and am still hunting down house plans that will be right for hubby and I both...Not like we don't have a big enough property to place a house and perhaps some cottages as well... Doing Bonsai will mean company staying over  ;D 8) c*

Texas Tornado

A few items I am trying to get a handle on:

I am very open to ideas or suggestions for these!

I want solar to get off the grid but know that the area gets hail softball size.
(This will impact me a lot on growing my Bonsai trees as well so I have been looking for options to remove the destruction of hail related damage to my trees...Am thinking like a batters cage over the trees..)

The area gets snow and ice and the summers have humidity from hell (melt your eyebrows off your face).

The land has a lot of clay in it. Dad calls it "Gumbo" when it rains.
I want to build a home there and have dang near any tool that would ever be needed or wanted to do it.
I have some experiance (home repair/remodling but lack the knowledge for running wires and plumbing or putting on a roof..
I have recently bought "Complete book of Framing" by Scot Simpson and "How to Build a House by Larry Haun (Habitat for Humanity)
Irene

MountainDon

Regarding the hail question.    some info posted today over here...  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7672.msg120482#msg120482

Further to that. I was reading some assorted sites. One pointed out that panels usually have a slant aimed southward. The site stated the in the northern hemishpere hail frequently comes from a northerly direction. I can not vouch for that.

But it does raise an interesting point. Testing standards are set up so that impacts are directed to the face of the panel at 90 degrees to the superstrate. So impact force to the glass front will most often be at some other angle which may reduce the impact damage.

Home owners insurance may or may not cover damages. That should be checked.

How about wind power? Maybe not as susceptible to big hail damage. ???

I'm sorry to hear you have clay. I dislike it a lot. Checking locally to see what foundations have resulted in stable buildings over the years would give you a good idea as to what works.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Texas Tornado

Quote from: MountainDon on August 18, 2010, 10:13:04 PM
Regarding the hail question.    some info posted today over here...  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7672.msg120482#msg120482

Further to that. I was reading some assorted sites. One pointed out that panels usually have a slant aimed southward. The site stated the in the northern hemishpere hail frequently comes from a northerly direction. I can not vouch for that.

But it does raise an interesting point. Testing standards are set up so that impacts are directed to the face of the panel at 90 degrees to the superstrate. So impact force to the glass front will most often be at some other angle which may reduce the impact damage.

Home owners insurance may or may not cover damages. That should be checked.

How about wind power? Maybe not as susceptible to big hail damage. ???

I'm sorry to hear you have clay. I dislike it a lot. Checking locally to see what foundations have resulted in stable buildings over the years would give you a good idea as to what works.
Have not seen any wind turbines anywhere in the area there.
Hard to check living so far from there.... :(

MountainDon

Re: the wind power option. Not all locations are good for wind. It really takes more wind than one might think to be able to make an appreciable amount of power. Winds can vary a lot due to microclimates.

Re solar or alternative power source. The place to begin would be to do an honest estimation of what the electrical consumption would be.

Some things can be switched from electric to other energy sources, such as propane powered refrigeration, However, that is simply trading one purchase of energy for a different purchase of energy. To me, that does not always make sense. There are advantages to having one's own solar generation ability (independence, hopefully reliability, no monthly bill) and there are disadvantages (high up front cost, dependence on "the company", maybe reliability)...

Sometimes, and in some places, a grid tied system with some limited storage capacity to cover the power company outages, could be a viable compromise. That's especially true in some places where the power company does actually buy your surplus at fair pricing. (EG: At the present time my NM power company will pay me more for excess than what I have to pay them for their power. That could change of course.)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Texas Tornado

Quote from: MountainDon on August 18, 2010, 10:30:48 PM
Re: the wind power option. Not all locations are good for wind. It really takes more wind than one might think to be able to make an appreciable amount of power. Winds can vary a lot due to microclimates.

Re solar or alternative power source. The place to begin would be to do an honest estimation of what the electrical consumption would be.

Some things can be switched from electric to other energy sources, such as propane powered refrigeration, However, that is simply trading one purchase of energy for a different purchase of energy. To me, that does not always make sense. There are advantages to having one's own solar generation ability (independence, hopefully reliability, no monthly bill) and there are disadvantages (high up front cost, dependence on "the company", maybe reliability)...

Sometimes, and in some places, a grid tied system with some limited storage capacity to cover the power company outages, could be a viable compromise. That's especially true in some places where the power company does actually buy your surplus at fair pricing. (EG: At the present time my NM power company will pay me more for excess than what I have to pay them for their power. That could change of course.)

My present home is all Electric but my Greenhouse is set up for Propane...

MountainDon

Can you guess that your use at the new home would be the same, or less? That's a starting point for calculating your likely required system size and how much it will cost.   There is a calculator in the general section; also many online ones, some god, bad, indifferent.

Texas Tornado

Quote from: MountainDon on August 18, 2010, 10:59:12 PM
Can you guess that your use at the new home would be the same, or less? That's a starting point for calculating your likely required system size and how much it will cost.   There is a calculator in the general section; also many online ones, some god, bad, indifferent.

I doubt the usage will change but the issue with up there is many times the power is out and most everyone has generators..
I have so many questions and am so Thankful to have found this forum and to have the members here be so willing to advise and guide....
Irene

Texas Tornado

Q's
Considering the soil(clay/gumbo) which would be the best to use to build on for a foundation...

John Raabe

I'm with Don on his earlier suggestion - Find out what buildings that have lasted built?

With clay and gumbo you want to go with what has worked locally since tricky soil is a very site specific issue.

Have an experienced foundation contractor take a look - maybe more than one. You will likely sub that project out anyway.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Texas Tornado

Next trip up and I will be door knocking around the area to find out! Think there is only 2 houses that were site built on the long road...
Here is a plan I am thinking about.

Texas Tornado

Well not much has been done, but I have been watching Craigslist a lot and found a couple of items  ;D
The door was $40. It was worth the drive because it had the frame!!! (Yup I have learned a few things from all of you people here  ;D)

Sink was $20. Nice and small for what I want.

Windows we had originaly for the Green House but will work for the House..

A round one I found..

I love the place that TexstarJim has built so may end up going that route.....