(pic intensive!!!) A general hello and my "soon to be" underground project....

Started by jeramiez, January 29, 2011, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

anti corridor here too !

Note I only have 1 child that lives with me............so I'm no expert

but would kids not prefer a large kids clubhouse area, and just have small bed "caves'  to sleep in

jeramiez

Thank you all for your input... Lots to think about here...

I have always been Pro-Hallway... (and yet always lived above ground as well.... LOL)
I feel hallways provide for a defining environment charge to areas... i.e. once you enter the hallway it should be a quieter area, because it states "bedrooms are present"... and I find that guests are less likely to wander down hallways then peer into areas offset of common areas...  To me, hallways seem to provide defining areas for different 'energy' levels, and (although I may be a bit strict...) rule defining limits as well... i.e. "when you get up, teeth and hair should be brushed by the time you reach the end of the hallway, after 9pm all lights out past the hallway," stuff like that... LOL
living in a 2 story at the moment... and I find people seem to feel free to wander the ground floor during get togethers, but people rarely brave going upstairs, and telling the kids that in the mornings, they should have 1, 2, and 3 done before they come down stairs seems to work well enough...
Another concept that made me strongly consider hallways is that plumbing, electric, etc... could be routed along the hallway....  the idea being that it's easier to repair, replace, add something down a hallway then to have to work in a bedroom space for a while...
these are all just "first thoughts" mind you...

I agree strongly with the idea of actually being on the land and "feeling" it out before setting the build in stone as it were... LOL
and somehow I think the model will end up in a revered place in the house showing how much we actually deviated from a grand idea... LOL

Most of the work we hope to be able to accomplish and perform on our own, knowing that there may be things we have to seek hired help to accomplish.... and involving the kids is definatly a priority... luckily they have all been witness to the model build and a lot of communication on the project and all love the idea... and have GREAT questions all the time... like "if the house in underground, where does the driveway go?" and "if the front door is underground, can we build a slide from the top to the front door?" The youngest is 6, the oldest 11... but they are pretty excited to get their hands dirty on the project... the second child even did a school project on the house when they had to do a report about a famous piece of architecture, (even though the house isn't even built, or famous yet for that matter,) she still said it was famous to us and sited how there were many famous underground pieces of architecture and tied it together well enough to get an A from her teacher aside from the comments from classmates saying there was no such thing as an underground building... LOL
Anyway, I digressed a bit...

Like the "clubhouse/kids bed-caves" idea... something to think about....

The general plan is to rent in a small town... (less then 100 people) for what we think might be a year or two when we first relocate, our land being 9 miles away, and the large town being 15 miles away... (Thomasville and West Plains MO. respectively...) and build to a 'foothold' construction before moving in and living on site while we expand...
I say we start with the kid areas and have them share rooms and such while we build and complete the kitchen/living room/master, her idea is the exact opposite... (she'll probably win that one...  ::) )

We def plan on building with wood and hopefully using some of the timber from the land itself... through my research I have found that in the small town, one of the last surviving businesses is a "wood products" company...  basically a mill that sells timber of most sorts, and tools to work trees into timber... hoping to take advantage of that, buy needed tools, and perhaps rough-grade 'leftovers' to render into construction material and provide some cash flow into the small community....

Tried to answer as many ideas/questions/ and concerns as possible without dropping in quotes...

I am always happy to answer any questions or entertain any ideas on the topic... (or off the topic.... LOL) as it keeps the ideas growing and forming....  Got a bit of the adhd/ocd myself... and sometimes my better half comes home after working the night shift to a 20 minute 'spilling of the mind through the mouth' about something I've recently researched... she listens politely, then asks the important question of: "And how does the apply right now?" usually followed by my answer of "I'm not sure yet..." to which she usually asks: "how much sleep did you get last night?"  LOL

glenn kangiser

Sounds like you are definitely giving it all some thought, Jeramie.

It is nice to support the local businesses when you can and you will find that most of the time it is to your benefit to network with the locals.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jeramiez

Exactly Glenn,

the small community we are thinking of moving into has seen a drastic decline in pop over the last couple of years...
lost their store and gas station and such...  had near 1500 pop 10 years ago... that's why we are thinking of renting there... we could give 'brand name-X corporation' our rent money in the big town, or give our rent money to someone that may wish to keep the family house that's been through 6 generations but they may have to sell due to the times of today...  that's our thought at least...  and the old town school was turned into a library and civic/social center... so we started there on our search... the librarian didn't live in town and they advised us to contact a local rancher who knew everyone in the area and might have an idea of who owns/needs what...  but advised us that the local minister and family just moved out of their home to go to another state.. so there are places available...  we shall see where that lead leads as it were....

we plan on relocating around June so time seems to be on our side at this point, but time does pass rather quickly... LOL

glenn kangiser

People like that rancher are people you need to know.  I find that and extra half hour or so shooting the bull often leads to discussions of other things that some day may be useful to know also.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

speedfunk

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 19, 2011, 06:20:58 PM
Sounds like you are definitely giving it all some thought, Jeramie.

It is nice to support the local businesses when you can and you will find that most of the time it is to your benefit to network with the locals.

The characters you will meet is just priceless..  From the guys at the local store in the back lot helping with materials huddled around the burn barrel when its 0 degrees... Good stuff

jeramiez

so, not really much has happened lately to require an update... aside from me dreaming and pondering and writing up lists of things to do, get, think about... LOL

then it happened, just sitting around the other evening, and the better half looks over and states that spring break is coming up...  I'm like, ok, what's that all about? so she goes into describing how long her kids will be out of school, and such, and throws out the idea of us making a trip to go north and see the land....

so, we toss the idea around a bit,
and now the plan is to head up there in about a week and a half, drop off the "short people" with her mother who lives about 2 hours (the way I drive) or 20 mins (the way she drives) but actually 1.5 hours away (per mapquest....) and head up and tent camp on the land for a night or two, and hopefully in that time be able to...
1. walk the land and map out where the springs, rocks, cliffs, creek, flat areas, big trees, building sites, etc. are, get a "real" feel for the land, and have things to really fit into considerations for the next few months. (it will be our first 'in person' view/visit to the land we bought...)
2. take a look at the small town nearby I mentioned, and speak in person with "the guys at the local store in the back lot helping with materials huddled around the burn barrel" and people I have contacted on the phone about rental properties and such. LOL
3. take tons of pics and vids for reference and just darn viewing pleasure...
4. check out the larger town nearby and inquire in person about certain jobs we have looked up online, get a look at the schools, etc.

then, pick up the kiddos and maybe head back to the land to show them what we found and get their thoughts and excitement up... perhaps camp for a night, and head back....

so that was the plan...  then I remembered it's barely march...  and though warm/hot down south here... might still have snow there... LOL  but she's ok with that, and says if it gets too cold, she'll just sleep in the truck... LOL
time to recall some of the winter survival outings I went on when I was growing up in MT, and dig out the winter survival kit I used to keep in the car... (it has the hand warmers and space blankets in it... LOL)

(she wanted to buy new sleeping bags...
I was like, "why? we have a bunch!"
she said, "ok then we have to dig them out of storage and wash them before we go..."
I was like, "why? they were clean when we put them in there 6 months ago!"
she just looked at me sideways and said "ew!"
I think that somehow she won that one...  I'm just not sure how though!!!!!)   ???

Suprisetiger

:) So We saw the land and it is sooo pretty and now we cant wait to get up there...JeramieZ made us a great camp and then we walked the majority of the 14 acres. He will post pics as soon as we get back on the computer.

The slope was a deep steeper than I thought (but I guess he knew..lol)...and alot more rock but I think it has great character and awesome engery I wish we could have just stayed....

More later...Smiles

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Sounds great, you two.....

Finally got to see the land.

Reminds me of an old song by the Marshall Tucker Band... Property Line....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmIZL5YqXrQ

HomeschoolMom

Always love a new underground project to follow!  Look forward to you getting started.  :)
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

jeramiez

Alrighty....  Lets see...

Really good trip which started out at Suprisetiger's Mom's house about 2 hrs from the land...

While chatting and wandering her yard, we saw "smoke" billowing out of a beautiful tree she had just bragged about wanting to light up at Christmas...  Being the brave guy I am, I dove into the lower branches trying to find the flame to extinguish...  but could only find more smoke.... and after about 5 minutes of me rummaging through the branches... it was suggested that the tree might just be pollinating...  an idea I refused to accept, and to prove my point, I jumped up and slapped a higher branch and was immediately "dusted".... and shortly there after discovered I was probably a bit allergic as I had uncontrollable sneezing and was breaking out in hives....  :(  LOL  (I can laugh about it now!!!) a short "decontaminating" shower later and some little white pill that was given to me and I was good as new...   d*

I give you:  The tree of DOOOM!!!!

(luckily none were spotted on our little piece of heaven...)

after some visiting and a bout of elevation acclimation, we headed up to the property knowing it was sleeting and the projected high was low 40s and a low below freezing.... 

A couple of pics of the "roads" leading to the place:

Arrived on sight, pitched camp just in time to think, "Wow it gets dark here fast!"  ;)

spent a chilly night that wasn't too unbearable, and once the coffee had been percolated, we began to explore...

Some general pics of the place:

And the stream:

A rock formation we have began calling "The Grotto":

And a ledge nearby that I shall someday use to preach to my gathered masses:   ;D  (kidding of course!!!   ;) )

And just for fun, I should include;

our fearless companions who were small enough to take the journey with us... (the 4 big guys had to stay home...)

They weren't quite so keen on the idea of breaking camp...

One of the locals who showed up to introduce themselves...

And finally, our very own Bigfoot sighting...

Driving some of the backroads we discovered a couple of sleepy little towns and a few mills with stacks and piles of materials I am eager to start asking about...
After a long trip home, lots of conversation, and consideration, we have contacted the seller about the possibility of purchasing the 14 acres connecting to the north as well...  we shall see how that goes...

and of course, the proposed date for relocation of this June could not come soon enough!!!

I might have videos to link after I convert and host them...

jeramiez

Well He forgot to mention how peaceful it was up there. It just takes your breathe way how quite it is.
  Time almost stands still as you look down over the land or standing near the stream. The water taste like snow and is just as cold. ;)

I cant wait till We get up there and can be there all the time... Sooo excited but so much to do before June..lol

P.S. I was the one who suggest to "Captain Fire Man" That the tree was pollinating  ::)
Huggles and  ;)

Suprisetiger...

Texas Tornado

Pic of your property #8 would lead me to believe you have a natural spring there....

jeramiez

When advertised they stated that the land had a year round creek and several natural springs... I was hoping to do a real search for said springs but the leaf pack was just to intense for the time we had...  the rock outcroppings like in #6 and #7 were dripping like sieves, but as I had mentioned, there was wet weather the day before....

Texas Tornado

Locating the springs would be #1 before thinking where to build...

jeramiez

My thought as well!!!  

We plan to do a more intensive search/perusal of the land in June when we relocate near the property and have more time and hopefully better weather on our side!!!

This was our first view of the land, and more of a 'feel it out', 'see what we got ourselves into', kinda trip... LOL

glenn kangiser

Very nice land, Jeramie and Surprisetiger.

Any possibilities of water power from the creek?  Enough fall to be usable?

speedfunk

The land looks awesome!  Congrats .   How long is the ride? 

Very excited for you..It sound like your are too... :)

jeramiez

Glenn,
I'd have to do a little more research for a definite answer on that, but it seems unlikely, the creek seems to lie pretty flat at the lower end of the property...  It is something we will look into... definitely have desire to use wind power, and possibly solar...

Speed,
The trip took about 12 hours each way,
(but that's because SHE was driving... LOL)
with me driving it'd be more like 16... LOL
There are a few towns we are considering for relocating this June, each about 15 - 20 miles from the land which we figure would be a good start to actually getting some work done up there....

glenn kangiser

I would plan on a hybrid power system... some wind - some solar.  More than one chance of power that way.

jeramiez

you forgot about 'kid power'  LOL 
get a bunch of stationary bikes hooked up to generators and make them pedal for their dinner... LOL

While we were up there, we grabbed a bunch of the fallen leaves to bring back and identify the trees we had. We brought home about a dozen to find that we seem to have a large assortment of Maple, and Oak, and some Elm...
Anything important that I should keep in mind or consider when using these woods for building or burning?

jeramiez

WAIT... WAIT... wait......

Should I be pissed off that sundials do not "self adjust" for 'daylight savings time' ???

I think I should be.......

glenn kangiser

I would just reduce loading as Mike suggested - to say about max of 18 inches if dirt.. possibly more if organics, since not using species specified by his engineer, but he also reduced loading for his projects too.