Shed placement: To post or not to post..what say you?

Started by AdironDoc, March 16, 2012, 08:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

I've considered spending the $3800 for one of the many prebuilt shed/mini-cabins I've seen locally. It will be a summer bunkhouse for guests/campers. 14' x 20'. They truck it in and drop it wherever you want. The issue up in the Adirondacks is always frost heave. Any posts will need to be plenty deep to allow for that and will make for more work.

On the other hand, I've seen that others in cold climates have used what appears to be a sled bottom made out of 4x6's that sits atop the ground. I suppose the idea is that it's free to move up or down, can be leveled and re-leveled, or even pulled to a new location with a tractor.

Anyone faced this decision or see any drawbacks to avoiding posts?

Doc

waggin

Before I sold my last house and moved, I had planned on building a small (12'x12') recreational cabin on skids.  One of the big plusses in my thinking was the ability to move it later.  I had a small usable area, and as I built other planned structures and infrastructure, I would want to move it for other uses and accessibility.  I still have the 6"x12" PT beams I intended to use as skids, and I may use them for another structure at my new place.  They're big enough that I could use them as beams spanning between posts, but if I changed my mind later and wanted to move it, then they could function as skids. 

The downside of the skids would be potential moisture issues.  That could be somewhat alleviated with vapor barrier and gravel on ground.  Access underneath will likely be nonexistent due to proximity to ground.  The prefab buildings use much shorter skids than I was going to.

FWIW, we used to have an 8'x12' bunkhouse in central New Hampshire that had a "foundation" of stacked rock at the four corners.  It required very little adjustment over the years, surprisingly.  Overall, I'm guessing that it has fewer freeze/thaw cycles vs. your area, but the roads had brutal frost heaves, so it is an issue there. 
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

mnboatman

My 16 x 20 foot bunkhouse in Northern Minnnesota is a shed that is supported by four 4x4 PT skids resting on concrete blocks. It will be four years old in May and has not moved or shifted over those winters.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7324.msg94245#msg94245

MountainDon

If it is a real shed, not a shed in disguise as a cabin I'd use skids. In fact I did. Sometimes there are slight seasonal movements, but never very much. But think about how to tie it down to the ground. Disc type mobile home anchors can be used.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I'm watching this with interest... I am planning on doing the same thing.  I want to have a small bunkhouse, but am going to build it on skids.  The plan is to dig 8 shallow holes, fill them with gravel, and place a paver on top for support.  Then just build on the pavers.  If it drifts, drag it back.  If it settles, shim it up. 

No posts.....
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

ajbremer

I bought one of those buildings too, you see them on the side of the road for sale all the time. I have a 12 x 32 and it's a long one. They brought it in through our woods, in between trees, and it had to make very sharp corners. We were amazed at how that little machine that the guy drove it with could maneuver and turn a huge building like that through such a small area.

It was set down on 4 of its small skids on top of blocks. It's been there over a year now and hasn't seemed to move at all. Of course now our countryplan 20x30 build sits right in front of it and our 30' RV right beside it.

Here's a picture of our building:

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

rick91351

We have one up at the ranch, it sits on pavers.  It was built in place by a shed company and it is 200 sq ft.  Actually just a hair less.  It never moves.  It would be easy to jack it up and throw a set of skids under it if we ever need to relocate it.  I really think it was a good value.  However if I would have had time - at the time.  It could have been built better for about a third less.  But you pay for convenience.     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

AdironDoc

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really leaning towards a no foundation setup. Officially, 12x12 is the limit for no permit, but most folks around here would chuckle at the idea of a permit for a shed. Putting down posts ups the ante slightly as its clearly a more permanent structure.

That 12 x 32 is very nice! For $4500 the local Amish will drag a 14 x 30 up. Problem with their "mini cabins", as you said is that they're built with 2x3s, 24" on center and have a metal roof. The roof could be shored up, maybe even redone at a 12/12 pitch for mini loft. But gosh, after a year of swinging a hammer and my wallet on my build, it would be nice to see something dropped in place turnkey.

My neighbor sits on the town board and made me laugh when she noted, if it sat on two axles, it wouldnt need permits or be taxable. Shed on Skids over axles..on blocks. You see where I'm going? At this rate I'll be making moonshine by fall  :P

ajbremer

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

AdironDoc