Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Chipping ice off of sheetrock takes time also. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Not too much accomplished this week.  I have been having problems with tendonitis in both elbows.  So today I finally broke down and went to the doctor.  He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.  Lay off the work for awhile.  d* d*.  So after the Dr. Apt I went up and cleaned up a little.  It has been too cold to put any mud on the drywall.  Even with the woodstove raising and maintaining the temps through the night at a non-freezing degree is not worth the effort.  I can raise it some 20 degrees in about 6 hours. 

So this week I managed to sheetrock the loft bathroom.  Sort of back myself into a corner on this one.  With the sloped ceiling and a 30" door there was no way I was going to get a full length sheet into the room. Solution was to cut the sheet a little short so that it would slide in diagonally between the stud partitions.  Then I would raise it off the floor the additional length to meet the ceiling.  I am only talking 1 to 1-1/2" .  The basebaord will cover it.  The real challange was the inside wall of the door.  NO room for errors on that manuver.  Well it's done now.  The cabinet rough in is storage which will eventually become drawers and doors.  The access to the bedroom will allow me to get to the plumbing for the sink.

I took a couple of pictures for your visual stimulation ( Glenn likes that phrase)

glenn kangiser

Careful, John... I'm getting excited. ...[waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dog

John...sorry to hear about the tendinitis. It's weird pain. I have it in my right wrist. I use a light brace on it when it's bad. Try to take it easy. It does subside if you give yourself a break and go easy but it takes a while.

Your place is amazing! You're going to really enjoy it. It's beautiful. Just don't kill yourself in the process....that goes for all of you...and you know who you are  :)...
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

Thanks Dog.  I think I really don't give it enough time to completely heal.  I told the Dr. I would lay off a few days.  Well my Dad is in the Hospital so I went to see him for a few days while the children were out of school and the wife was off work. Even a 3-4 day break is better than nothing.  I do use a elbow brace when I am working and it is tolerable that way.  I normally don't take any medication but I followed the Dr's  advice and took a steroid pack for 4 days to help with the mending.  Again thanks for your concern.

alcowboy

not an intention to hijack this thread but could not resist the chance to help you guys with the tendinitis. A few days rest will help and, yes, the brace will also help. Be sure to take anti-inflammatories. I work for an orthopedist and have had carpal tunnel (CTS) in the right wrist with carpal tunnel release preformed. That was the best thing I could have done for my wrist! A few weeks healing and I was on my way! I think that you should see your orthopedic and check on the possibility of CTS and possibly consider the surgery if it is giving you enough problem.

Dog

Thanks for the CTS release info. Never heard of that procedure. I recently started playing music again and aggravated it bad. I think my career is over...lol... :P time to start building a house! Just got to figure out where I want to live.
Sorry for interrupting your thread again John. Get better. Your work of art will be waiting for you!  :)

Redoverfarm

After only a four day week I think I got a good bit accomplished.  My father was put in the hospital 2 weeks ago so on Friday I went down there and stayed until Monday.  A long story short he got released yesterday and is home recouperating if that is what you call it at age 84. 

I installed the last sheet of drywall yesterday.  All total I used 25 sheets (5 blue or greenboard and the rest white).  The weather looked good at least for a couple days so I took advantage and put the skim coat and tape on the last remaining portion that I had just hung this week and recoated the previous that I had taped.  I don't know who designed this house   ;D  but he didn't take into consideration the task of the drywall at certain locations.  The peaks on the loft bathroom sidewalls were such that I had to break out a mason trowel to reach the corners.  The main bathroom is a little cramped for space after the shower.  I really don't have that much return on the corners to the doors.  Inside corner with 1-1/2" return to the door and then 1-1/2" return to the shower wall, then 3" return to the shower.  I took a couple pictures of what I did if any one cares to look.

The before

The after

The throne room, And yes where the bucket is will be the throne.

Shower

Pocket door to the master bath from the bedroom

I think Considerations was talking about "tree trunk support post"  I have two in the cabin that are somewhat prominent.  I need to find a jamb saw so I can undercut them for the flooring. If not I guess I could use my backcut saw. 

Well to top off a fairly good day I came home and the furnace at the house has died. It is a Trane and after a couple of calls I found that it is probably the circuit board.  I located a service man that just happened to have a circuit board for my model.  He is enroute as we speak.  Lets hope that is all it is. $$$$$.

glenn kangiser

It's coming along well, John. :)

Jens

Japanese pull saw, HD, $12, work great for undercutting.  They also rent out electric jamb saws, circular style.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Redoverfarm

Jens that was what I was referring to was the Japanese pull saw.  Only problem with it is that unless it is fairly straight you have to go so deep on the dipped areas.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Thanks for the thought though.

glenn kangiser

That looks like a job for....

[chainsaw]

an electric chainsaw. d*

Dog

John, I can't believe how much you got done in 4 days! The bathroom looks great.  [cool]
I am sorry to hear about your dad. It's good that you were able to spend some time with him while he was in the hospitable. I'm sure he's glad to be home.

Redoverfarm

Glenn it actually crossed my mind but I will only need 3/4" for the hardwood.  The offset from the case to the chain is alot further than that.

Dog I didn't mean I got all those sheets hung in that time.  I only hung about 12 this week.  Still was a hump to get the framing built for the shower and plumbed in though.  Sometimes it takes me a little while to get organized but once I get my body in sync with my mind it goes pretty fast.

ScottA

Looks nice John. You need a jamb saw. My buddy has one. Too bad you're so far away.  d*

Redoverfarm

Yeah Scott I missed the boat as Harbor Freight had one for $59 not long ago. Agreed it was probably Chicago tool but for limited use it might be OK.  I lived too far from a store when they were on sale as it was a store sale only and not for net purchases.  If I am lucky they will put it on again and I will try to pick one up.  I guess it would last long enough to cut the locust post.  Brought sparks to my chainsaw.  Like trying to saw a rock.

Jens

if you're into living dangerously, remove the base of your skillsaw.  Then take some shim stock and attach it to the blade guard to take it to just the right height.  Or you can freehand it, without the shims.  Then again, you could scribe the flooring, or even put a border, scribed to fit, around the post, then just run the flooring up to it.  If you scribe the flooring, make sure to back cut it as well for a nice tight fit...but I'm sure you knew that.   You could make up a template, by taping small pieces of paper together on the floor.  It is easier to get small pieces to conform to weird angles and shapes, just do a curve at a time.  Just some more suggestions, but you probably have enough ideas already.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

considerations

Awesome.  (The tree trunks) That locust looks like it's made of iron.  Is it as hard as it looks?

Much more interesting than my "straight" trunks.  And  lot harder to work with re: flooring. 

I'm taking the easy way out.  The planks are my floor, at least for the foreseeable future.

brian_nj

Black locust is tough! While clearing my house site a friend told me I needed a new blade for my saw, I laughed let him put a new out of the package one one and have at the tree, he cut for a couple minutes and then stared at the tree in disbelief, since he barley got the first part of the notch cut. They are some of the toughest trees I have ever cut! they dont fall till the last strands are cut through and they eat up blades.
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

Redoverfarm

Yes brian they are pretty tough.  I rip cut two 12' ones with my chain saw and wore a chain completely out.  I kept the oil reservoir full of oil in the saw and they still sparked like I was cutting rocks.  I had to cut three more so I loaded them up and took them to a friend that has a mill and he faced them for me.

Considerations I will take the easy way out on the loft floor as there are no post and it is T&G like yours.  They are hard to work with but should be around long after I am gone.   It is the choice of farmers for fencing here.  Some post have been in the ground for more than 20 years and are still solid.  A little hard to drive staples in.  I have five to under cut for the hardwood and tile on the main floor.     

brian_nj

we decided to bring a couple to a mill ourselves we plan on using them for our porch roof support. It seems I am just a little south of you but we are seeing the same things (Johnson county TN) Looks like you are making good progress on your cabin and I appreciate the frequent updates I have gotten quite a few ideas from your work, Keep up the good work!
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

Jens

You're just east of me then Brian.  Knoxville. 

The Locust post will be the only thing left in 500 years...well, that and the 5 ton chimney. :)

Dog

That is amazing how tough Black Locus is. I'll admit I didn't realize that. Jens...that was funny about the house in 500 years with the chimney and Locus post still standing. Somehow in 500 years Dogtrot at Hightop will be still be standing strong! Someone will always want to take care of it because it's so beautiful.

Jens

Redoverfarm

Well no work on the cabin today.  After the last couple of days of snow, rain and sleet I wasn't sure whether I could go up or not.  Yesterday it did get up to 42F. The last day that I was able to work was on Monday so I was getting a little "cabin fever".   So after driving 1/4 mile off the hardsurface I changed my mind.  I had stopped to walk and check the turn that caused so much trouble on November 26th.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.msg73422#msg73422

Well after stepping out of the truck the next thing I saw was the under carriage.   :-[  That smarts! So I gracefully backed down the berm.  I then went to my friends repair shop and picked up the chains that I had ordered.  By this time it was late morning and I decided that tomarrow was another day. 

I did however make a helper to install the chains.  They actually make a commercial verson but as with many things " I'm tight".  When talking to my friend he said that it was the "cats meow" for installing chains.  This is what I came up with.  2"X10"X18" plank with 5/8" dado's and a 1-1/2" square stock for a stop. Supposeably it helps to take all the slack out to get a tighter fit. 

Tomarrow we will see how they work.

I did start staining on some interior doors though.  A little premature but alot warmer.