Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

Cute place.... nice job with those pics!
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Gary O

Quote from: Weasel on August 10, 2011, 07:31:11 PM
Cute place.... nice job with those pics!

Thanks Weaz
Those DSLRs sure make life easy these days........
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Gary O

Weren't going to, but we did zip down to the cabin this fine Labor Day weekend.
My bride and I closed in the little kitchen, and installed my homemade windows.
I am now fully re-convinced that finish work is for finish carpenters....actually any carpentry is for carpenters, but it sure is excruciatingly fun for this wood butcher....and it's a cabin for cryin' out loud (of which I did a lot of...pain and suffering...)

speedfunk

Gary O

Thank you speed

Under much duress, I was able to snap a pic of my bride.
Sumpm special about warm coffee on a cool September morn', poured by your smilin' mate.
Havin' that first cup with each other is the best start of another beautiful day...can't go too wrong.

Sassy

Looks good - great use of space & Hi Gary O's bride  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Barry Broome

I like the windows... looks good!
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Gary O

Thanx Weaz
BTW, I bet you have a project or two going but can't I find it......'course I can't readily find my own threads just yet...little help here..

Sassy, yes, space is a premium.
I'm tryin' to get my better half to join, but she's on quite a few forums already.
We used to do as you and Glenn (our puters are within 10 feet of each other's) but I went and got myself banished, banned to the bone. Seems I can't keep from checking the edge, and their thought police finally had had a belly full......one day I'll get up the courage to post the little spoof video my grandson and I put together that cast me from purgatory to somewhere past the seventh ring of forum hell, but I've sworn myself to a form of righteousness, so I'm now the cherub that you see today....

Gary O

Here's where my mind is goin' at present;

Cedar Shakes will cover the sins of T1-11 and a better window situation, but my hand got tired

No dims yet, just brainurisms forming behind my eyebrows

a couple extensions with a deck in between, and it may just be livable 'til the real cabin gets built...or I take a dirt nap...whichever comes first

Sassy

Quote from: Gary O on September 06, 2011, 08:14:59 AM
Thanx Weaz
BTW, I bet you have a project or two going but can't I find it......'course I can't readily find my own threads just yet...little help here..

Sassy, yes, space is a premium.
I'm tryin' to get my better half to join, but she's on quite a few forums already.
We used to do as you and Glenn (our puters are within 10 feet of each other's) but I went and got myself banished, banned to the bone. Seems I can't keep from checking the edge, and their thought police finally had had a belly full......one day I'll get up the courage to post the little spoof video my grandson and I put together that cast me from purgatory to somewhere past the seventh ring of forum hell, but I've sworn myself to a form of righteousness, so I'm now the cherub that you see today....

Have you read any of Glenn's rants, lol.  The main requirement we have here is courtesy & respect...  seems like even when we don't agree, everybody still likes each other & gets along.  Guess it's pretty unusual for a forum.  John Raabe has set the mood for CP & is so gracious to let us all jabber away  ;D  besides being able to showcase our accomplishments  [cool]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Gary O

Quote from: Sassy on September 06, 2011, 05:08:25 PM
Have you read any of Glenn's rants, lol.  The main requirement we have here is courtesy & respect...  seems like even when we don't agree, everybody still likes each other & gets along.  Guess it's pretty unusual for a forum.  John Raabe has set the mood for CP & is so gracious to let us all jabber away  ;D  besides being able to showcase our accomplishments  [cool]

Yes, it's quite unusual.....really really great, long established, memberships.
A real mix of wonderful minds. Savvy down home folk that readily offer their knowledge and concerns.
It's America at it's best, and I've enjoyed reading the many threads, Glenn leading the way, John popping in, and MTD offering technical scripture.
Quite the well rounded forum.
I tend to barge in at times, but feel well recvd...still need to be conscious of the topic, and the offering of skewed humor when people are serious..working on it..

glenn kangiser

Nice cabin, Gary.  I like it.....  ;D

As Sassy mentioned, it is pretty hard to get banished here.  We try to keep it to PG and make all attacks impersonal.....as well as keep it pretty pleasant for the ladies...... can't afford to lose any of the harem at my age..... [ouch]

I believe wandering off topic just creates a new learning experience and defend the right of our members to stray if their mind happens to wander.  I'm not one for censorship.  heh

I edit myself more than anybody as I also have the crude tendencies you mentioned.. :o

........being from under a rock in Oregon.... dad says I was strained through a sock...whatever that means...... [noidea'

Anyway ... looks like you are getting the hang of it.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Gary O

"I believe wandering off topic just creates a new learning experience and defend the right of our members to stray if their mind happens to wander.  I'm not one for censorship."

Thus the long time following.

...and, yes, gotta maintain the harem........I tried to join/mix in/mingle.....alas my falsetto voice was a dead give away....and the outfits were just plain uncomfortable anyway.

Yeah, Dad, in his thoughtful, kindly way, would kneal down and say "You shouldn't really be here"......think I was four....I was ready to pack my sister's Dale Evans lunch box and head over to my pahdnah Billy's house. But Mom stepped in...still in need of somewhere to stick the business end of her enema syringe I s'pose.
I like the story they used to tell me about how I oozed outta the clay near the old septic tank...found me amongst the salamanders.........
Didn't figure the 'shouldn't be here' deal until over hearing some loud late night 'discussion' a few months before my miracle of miracles brother oozed out....however, I think his septic hatch may have been up the road a ways.............
Things get rather complicated after all that, so I just turn medium sized wood into smaller wood...never a shortage of kindling......

...and thank you for the gracious latitude.
I'll use it sparingly.

glenn kangiser

I'm one of those guys who doesn't fit in with a forum unless it runs the way I like it, Gary.  Too much authoritarian meddling and I'm out of there.  That pretty much follows John's guidelines and I thank him for the freedom he allows us here.  

Nit-picky whining topic stickers who have to have every topic in it's own folder precisely may not agree with that, but then again, they are not here.  There is a reason for that and you don't hear that much from me unless one of the rude little jerks shows up.  Rudeness and flaming are for the other forums.

This is more a forum for smart-aleks and wise-akers  (spelling correction offered "wind-breakers" there so I guess they can stay too)....

I'm just glad that our forum is comfortable enough that the harem will hang around.  [waiting]

It does take a special kind of woman to hang out here though.  Keep in mind that Considerations can carry a trucking company hiring manager across the room.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Gary O

Halleluiah!
Salvation!
I'm home!

"Keep in mind that Considerations can carry a trucking company hiring manager across the room."  

That's considerable
Knew a lady that could do the same......what a rare, wonderful, perplexing, intriguing, respect eliciting combination.
I hate gettin' carried to somewhere I hadn't planned on goin'. 'Course if you kick and scream too much, you could get dropped.....

glenn kangiser

Who's kicking and screaming.... [noidea'    :)

Gary O

Sometimes they like a bit of sport, but good point.
Actually, excellent point.

I did read the book, Wimin are from Venus, men are from Uranus, so I've learned a couple things..........

glenn kangiser

stricsm

Gary, your cabin looks neat.  But, I like your humor even more.  Glenn is pretty funny too.  I don't post much but I read a lot of the posts.  I'm glad you are here.

Gary O

Quote from: stricsm on September 08, 2011, 07:17:54 PM
Gary, your cabin looks neat.  But, I like your humor even more.  Glenn is pretty funny too.  I don't post much but I read a lot of the posts.  I'm glad you are here.

Well, stricsm, that is the absolute nicest thing anyone has said to me directly for a very long time.
I've been putting droll/inane stuff to black and white for years now, and the immediate reward is doing it, and chuckling a bit myself. But the true gratification is making someone's day a bit brighter. I know it's not for eveyone. But these days, we are inundated with dire, serious, tragic things, whether our own experience or just what we see on the news. If I can garner a smile somewhere, then my job is done. Not to the point of being the court jester, but a quip or two at end of day helps a bad one sometimes.

I think Glenn will concur.

I've had quite a few speaking engagements and seminars, turning subjects like a generic part numbering system for a start-up manufacturing firm into a comedy club atmosphere, but yet getting the points across. And, ya know? The important info sticks when applied with humor.

So, thank you, pard.
Happy trails (even on the rocky ones)

Gary O'

glenn kangiser

Happy trails and don't step on any road apples.....

I agree, Gary..... I guess that's why a lot of my friends call me f'n Glenn.  I don't tell them - they seem to arrive at that pet name for me individually. [ouch]

stricsm, thanks for thinking I'm funny, but... Sassy tells me looks are not everything.  I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.... at least I still have my big ego.... :)

Gary O

Models

OK, I seem to abhor technical jargon. Prints, drawings, specs drive me to the local watering hole, even my own sketches.
I do sketch things on quad paper, but somewhere between my frontal lobe and elbow things get a bit foggy when making connections/angles.
I've heard there are three types of learning, visual; seeing it done, written; studying technical data; and hands on; performing, doing, best in the presence of the master or instructor.

I am of the latter, without the instructor.
So I make scale models to prove out my thoughts, ripping pine to 2x, 4x, and 6x at 1/8 scale.

This is where a combination of laziness and ego make their manifestation.
I love to entertain the thought that I can create something in the realm of a cabin all by myself, but my patience is weak, succumbing to outright laziness enshrouded in the guise of saving time (and my back).
I have built sheds and cabins, no finish work, thank goodness, and have always ended up with something a bit less than I'd originally had in mind.
Mountain Don's little saying at the end of every post is missing one thing, my photo. Nothing's failed, and remains quite functional, but well, my creations fall a tad short of best.
Thus I over build.
I'm happy with our latest cabin, however.
Even though we'll be busy adding to it, I'm preparing for another. Still small, 200' initially, but I'm going for optimal yield of function within that footage, stove placement, loft design, and structure integrity.
I'm asking those in the know to critique, tear it apart, make subtle or pointed remarks, sparing no words.
I swear I won't get upsought. Just need some pointers to the skeletal framework.
Just no disparaging remarks like 'lay the saw down, Gary, and walk slowly away from the shop, any shop'.
Cause if I see that, one morning you'll be sitting on the back deck, and suddenly drop yer coffee mug in yer lap when seeing a herd of slugs stampeding across yer lawn.
Juust kidding...slugs don't stampede...at least that I can tell..., and they are a great excuse of mine for a poorly yielding garden.
Here's the model...and yes, it's the one Rob_O so shamelessly (courageously) posted in one of his threads to depict style.

OK, don't all jump in at once.
Maybe (in my always overdone vebiage) I wasn't clear. Just askin' for a little help in structure design.
Example: 'Gary, if it was me, I'd do something other than rip 28° down those beams'....and go on to say what's best (IYO).
Or, if too many things to correct: 'Gary make another model......show us all something else with which to chuckle about, you hopeless neophite....tongue outta cheek, there will be 45° braces throughout....nothing left precarious, but may go with something wider than 24"oc

Gary O

glenn kangiser

I think you may want to forgo the 28 degree rip on the beams and use them flat so that the rafters don't want to slide off of them.  That would then require making birdsmouths in the rafters like a normal house roof uses, but that would make them stay put rather than want to slide off. 

I would go up to 4x6 posts and let the ribbon in to the side of the 4x6's for the loft support, and better insulation unless you want boars showing insied and put foam on the outside of the wall for the rustic look inside..... OK ... you know me too well... likely I'd drive 60d spikes into the posts through the ribbon for support but it seems that the way I told you would be better.

PEG or Don P. are better at this stuff than me, but I thought I would just throw a troglodyte steel guys opinion in there.  [waiting]

Gary O

Hey, thanks Glenn
Yeah, bird's mouth is probably 'the way', just flirting with other ways.
And 4x6s is something to consider.
The beams will remain exposed, and initial roofing w/be 2x6 T&G or cardecking.
Not terribly concerned with insulation, but foam board is something to consider.