Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary O

Headin' to the cabin for Christmas in a couple days.
Took a peek at the trip check cam this morn.
Oh Mommy!!! [shocked]
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Gary O

This road cam near the cabin is quite handy.
Aside from scattered darkness at 5:23 AM, it's –9.8° F....boy, sure hope it doesn't get to 10 below.........

OK, aside from freezing our butts off, I'm beginning to be concerned with freezing our butts on.
Petroleum jelly or WD40 on the toilet seat could beget an event all it's own, so considering bungee loops from the outhouse ceiling....

Couple questions;

Does poop stick to squirrel fur?
How much is too much antifreeze in eggnog?

Will definitely throw another dog on the fire.
So glad our kitchen is inside this year.

Merry Christmas all!!!

Well be back with pix Monday....keep a fire

Gary O

We're back.
The pass was clear, and very little snow. But we did manage to do a little burning. No wind.
In watching the weather, we prepared for -12°F, the wife even crocheted a neat face saver, but the lowest it got was 10°.

We did make a video, but it was more an instructional one on 'how to not make a video'
However, here's some pix;

Cornish game hens, taters, carrots, asparagus, and (slaver) cranberry conserve

Our mornings were fresh, our days were productive, and our evenings were cozy and snug...read the book 'The Last American Man'.......I don't recommend it, but the quietude got me through it, entertaining in places.
We played rummy until we got rummy, sipped some nog, and talked of cabin plans, which included installing a wood strove. However, our buddy heater did it's job quite well.
Oh, cabi got a bead on a fat squirrel, but she hasn't spent time to acquaint herself with her artillery just yet, so Mr tree rat will see another summer, but may have trouble reproducing......yeah, she got close.............

MountainDon

Glad you were able to have a great time up there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

Thanks Don.
I did end up using straight diesel on the three piles we managed to burn.
I'm now a believer.
Once we get some serious snow, we'll attack with that german concoction.

MountainDon

QuoteI'm now a believer.

... and you still have your eyebrows, etc.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

carroll

:D  Gary, your cabin looks wonderfully toasty!  Thanks for the pictures -- and glad your trip was made safely!  (Uneventful is a good adjective, especially when applied to car and plane and train trips!) 

If, on the other hand, one is sky-diving . . . . :)   well, maybe "uneventful" would be great there, as well!

The baclava -- no, wait, it's balaclava, right? -- looks very warm and cozy!

Have a great and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:)
carroll

PS  And now, of course, someone will start (hee, hee!) using the phrase "Keep your butt on!"
:)

Gary O

Yes, a balaclava, but we did sample some baklava during this season.
Boy, that stuff is rich!

Not totally uneventful, however.
I like to entertain my little woman with my ignition/combustion show.
I had this gaggle of fire inducing elixirs, a small can of gas/oil, 5 gal of diesel, one gal of kerosene, and one gal of just plain ol' gas.
12 boxes of fire starter sticks, an extended BBQ lighter, two boxes of matches, and a blowtorch.
Thing is, during the commencement of one of my little shows, the wind kicked up, so both the wife and I let out a little gasp.
Then everything was sequestered to the burn barrel with screen.

I do love that diesel. Just make a little hole in the bottom of the pile, squirt a tad bit of gas in there, add a cup of diesel, a deftly struck match and presto, fire that'll consume.

Savin' my old oil for the big burns once the snows get serious.

And yes, Don, my brows are still intact, so I still rival Breshnev's twin caterpillars and Rooney's mesquite outgrowths...did have some close calls with straight gas last year, however...........

OlJarhead

Ahh yes the holidays at the cabin!  I can't wait until Friday when we head to ours to spend New Years there!!!

Gary O

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 27, 2011, 09:33:01 AM
Ahh yes the holidays at the cabin!  I can't wait until Friday when we head to ours to spend New Years there!!!
Now see? That's enjoyin' the event full circle....anticipation.
Bring back pix, big fella

rick91351

Quote from: Gary O on December 27, 2011, 09:05:56 AM

And yes, Don, my brows are still intact, so I still rival Breshnev's twin caterpillars and Rooney's mesquite outgrowths...did have some close calls with straight gas last year, however...........

[waiting] :-X n*  Not cool Gary.  I had a very good friend, one that lost his life doing similar.  Don't do that, 'nuff said there.

Then I had a friend Marv my old hunting and fishing buddy.   He left us and took a job in the woods being a logger in northern California and southwest Oregon back when they could harvest trees.  He came back for elk hunting one year.   He had taken to wearing his logging togs.  Most notable Can't Bust'm Pants that the loggers just take a knife and cut to length.  Then of course they fray and get raggy around the hem line.    This also back in my pre AA days and a bunch of us were standing / sitting around the fire in elk camp.  We were all all telling lies and expounding on the truths of life, and passing around a bottle of Black Velvet.  Marv and his frayed leg Can't Bust'm Paints got too close to the fire.  They caught, Marv was kind'a cute running off to the creek screaming in some unknown Pentecostal tongue and sort of like one of them Hawaiian fire dancers dudes whose routine went south.  He had the nerve to curse us for laughing at him when he returned.  Man I never knew Marv could run that fast, sort of like "Run Forest run!". 

c*       

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on December 27, 2011, 10:35:19 AM
Now see? That's enjoyin' the event full circle....anticipation.
Bring back pix, big fella

Oh I will!  Hoping to take some new Gongs to hang up for the 'shootin' fun too!

Barry Broome

I had an experience this weekend as well. My nephew stood up on the bucket of a front end loader to pour gasoline on the top of a large brush pile. He threw a lit piece of cloth on top of the pile then I heard a loud 'poof'. I looked back and everything was alright - except that my nephew and bobcat skid steer was far too close to the fire. It started out raging and didn't stop. I learned that we need to think safety.... even if we're just in the backyard piddling around!!!   d* d* :( ;D
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Alan Gage

Quote from: Gary O on December 12, 2011, 11:16:52 AM
just experimenting.....and the bird song I'd sure like to identify....what a happy little guy makin' everyone's morning a joy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc1NRie4Ng

I did it Don!
Now the universe.....

Townsend's Solitaire is the best I can do. You can listen to one here:

http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/bird/townsends_solitaire\

I'm not great at bird songs yet, especially birds I'm unfamiliar with (like the Solitaire), but I thought I sounded somewhat similar to an American Robin so I started looking at the Thrush family. Could be something totally different though.

Alan

Gary O

'Not cool Gary.  I had a very good friend, one that lost his life doing similar.  Don't do that, 'nuff said there.'

A learnin' experience in youth (if you survive) is worth a lifetime....a long one.
No worries, Rick. I know gas and it's dangers, and fumes and their extremely dangerous traits.
Nothin' to play with.
The 'close calls' last year were not really close...just seemed to be to the wife.
Thanks for the concern, pard.
I do enjoy playin' with my bride's mind, however.
I like to say  'whoa, that was sumpm' right after a flare up.

Had a friend that charged for rides in his hot air balloon. His favorite remark after safely landing was 'whew, never done that before', just to make sure people got their money's worth.

Now, Weasel, take that nephew and ask him how close he came to the end, a miserable one.
A word to the wise is sufficient.

Gary O

'Townsend's Solitaire is the best I can do. You can listen to one here:'

By God, Alan, if that's not it, it's mighty close!
Seems the one I recorded has a bit more warble, but could be it's sex or even maybe attitude.
Yeah, I too considered the Robin, but been around them too much to be a strong consideration.
Sure is a sweet, happy sound. For me, it rivals the Western Meadowlark, of which is my all time fave.
Thank you, Alan, very much.

Gary O

OK, I listened to both recordings three times, with the speaker up to my good ear.
I think you nailed it, Alan!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Weasel on December 27, 2011, 06:51:11 PM
I had an experience this weekend as well. My nephew stood up on the bucket of a front end loader to pour gasoline on the top of a large brush pile. He threw a lit piece of cloth on top of the pile then I heard a loud 'poof'. I looked back and everything was alright - except that my nephew and bobcat skid steer was far too close to the fire. It started out raging and didn't stop. I learned that we need to think safety.... even if we're just in the backyard piddling around!!!   d* d* :( ;D

Did the same here this fall   BUT   after my son poured about 1=1/2 gal of deisel onto the 12' high pile I backed the tractor and lowered him down and moved away.  There was no way I could have moved that fast once the pile started to burn.  We had planned on roasting hot dogs but it was nearly 3 hours before we could even get close to do that.   ;D

Gary O

OK, you guys are throwing a scare into me.
When someone uses the terms pour and fuel in the same sentence with pile, the hairs on the back of my neck tend to rise up and look around.

ONE-AND-A-HALF GALLONS!!
John, ya did good in backing off.
Even diesel, in large amounts, will combust (blow ya ta kingdom come)....sometimes it just needs to warm up first.....sometimes not.
Every experience with slash burning is a bit unique. Humidity, wind direction and velocity are never quite the same.
Considering the pile was well out of harm's way, out in a field, I'd be employing a flaming arrow 50 paces away............but then I just like flaming arrows...........

Keep a fire (safe)

Redoverfarm

Better safe than sorry.  Wasn't too much concerned with the surrounding area as I situated the pile in the corner of my hay field.  Green stubble doesn't burn well or fast.  Yeah that was a good bit of deisel but given the size of the pile I think it was about right.

Reminds me of my younger years of operating a 450 track loader on the farm.  Had pushed a large pile of brush. trees and etc.. into a trench silo to burn.  Wasn't around when they lit it off but they should have never used gasoline for that job. Blowed the guy about 20 feet from the edge and ended up with no eyebrows or arm hair.  Seems that the trench silo held the fumes at the bottom.  Bad idea.  d*

Few pic's

Notice the extension of ignition tool   ;D

Didn't take long to develope into a  inferno.  Fun while it lasted which was three days smoltering.

Gary O

Nice

as my grandpappy used to say...'Now that's a fire!'

Alan Gage

Guy around here burned himself really bad quite a few years back, permanent facial scarring. Dumped gas from a can onto a wood pile and then walked well away from the pile before lighting something and throwing it into the pile for ignition. Seems like it should have been plenty safe. Unfortunately he walked away down a slight grade and the fumes, being heavier than air, followed him and the gas can. Something I never would have even thought about until I heard the story.

Alan

MountainDon

A gallon of fuel (4 parts diesel to 1 part gas) does about 6 fire starts for me unless the wood is very wet. With the tarps and tar paper coverings it's usually dry, or at least there is usually enough dry material to get it going. Once ablaze even the newly cut green stuff burns up.

I start the fire on the downhill side as a rule but make a dribble trail off to the side and uphill if I can. Then light that.

I had a cousin lose most of his sight in one eye about 50 years ago by mishandling of gasoline.

Gary O

Road cam a few mi from he cabin

Low percentage of precip next ten days
Where's the fricking snow?
I've got slash piles to burn

Gary O

Took some days off.

Had too.

We got back from four days at our cabin yesterday.
It was wonderful.

However
I, trying to cool down from high anxieties of typical production demands, shifted gears to obsessing over our 2nd trip to the cabin this winter.

The trip thru the pass loomed.
Winter storm warnings screamed at me on the trip check.

Managers, lead people, owners were pumping questions my direction all Friday. I feigned hearing the same queries I've heard for over 20 years.

Packed the Jeep and off we went Saturday morn.
Approx half way there I let out a shreik. Wife lurched awake thinking I'd done my usual auto pilot trick, going off road to break up the monotony and thrust my head to consciousness on the roll bar. Silly girl. I'd just remembered I left the tire chains on the table saw, where I'd placed all the related tools we'd possibly need this trip.
Which produced another smaller shriek...tools, and gloves.....
We now own a 2nd set of chains.....and a 6th or 7th slip joint plier (since I have one in the Jeep tool box anyway).
I've noticed total recall is more post op than pre op these days.
Anyhoo, they're a nice set of chains, and my bride should have little trouble installing them.

Got thru the pass with little banter. Wife has a hard time jabbering while chewing her nails to the quick.
The little woman even praised my ability to stay on what may have been our side of the road on the way down the mountain.
I was kinda surprised on a couple things too.
It appears that humans can hold their mouths wide open, and deeply exhale, yet have no audible noise, for at least the exact space of time and distance a Jeep can slide sideways and stay upright.
The other surprise was how considerably the little woman's eyes could leave their sockets, once she could unlock and turn her head from the passenger's vantage point of being the first down the hill.

Fueled up in Oakridge.

All will be well now, cause Burt, our neighbor ¾ mi from the cabin will have faithfully plowed the road for us this year. Good ol' Burt. Faithfull Burt. What a neat ol' guy. Friendly sort, salt of the earth.

160 mi later we pulled off the hiway and onto the gravel road to our cabin. Good ol' Burt, smooth glide over the thin layer of frozen snow, his gate was shut, so we'd settle up with him later. Round the corner past Greg's place, 'wonder how close ol' Burt got to the cabin?'
A wall of snow looms just past Greg's place.
That %^&#$*#*&% Burt didn't touch his plow to our road! I'm gonna tear his hands off and stick his own fingers in every available orifice of his gnarly self! (once he opens his gate....).

OK, we got our exercise.
Read somewhere here that water is heavy. It gets heavier when you are an old fat man, along with diesel, and ice chests crammed with munchies (our munchies are now apples and weird fruit, BTW) and real food....in two feet of snow.
Happily, the snow was frozen, and ice chests can be towed.
Once settled, and normal shallow breathing resumed after my bride pulled the paddles off my chest, we commenced to enjoy ourselves.

Truly enjoy.

We burned slash piles, ate, slept, all hours of the days and nights, ate, read books. Got through McMurtry's 2nd book of his triad of memoirs, some TC Boyle short stories, and trekked thru the woods with the grace of small buffalo, taking a few pics.

The evening stroll to the outhouse was an adventure, since the tundra like pumice held two solid feet of ice with a sprinkling of snow giving one the feeling of false stability. The thought of a possible large hungry cat, hiding behind the picnic table, licking his lips over what appeared like two diseased overgrown fowl, lurching their way from one building to another, would occur during these treks.

Oh, it did snow while we were there. Been awhile since being in the company of nature's fresh stuff, nice, quiet.

Here's some pix

burn baby burn

Next time we'll bring something to put in it....

more dead falls, wheeee

outhouse sentry waiting to scare the bejesus out of the little woman

sapling mocking my back

personal post card possibilities