Kitchen Cabinet ?

Started by peteh2833, February 19, 2009, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

I live near Pittsburgh Pa. Any one know a good place to get Pine Cabinets for the Kitchen at camp? I looked at Home Depot and Lowes and they have nothing in Pine. Thanks Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

fishing_guy

Any custom cabinet builders near you?  We have a bunch, although I don't know what they charge.  The closest lived next door to me for 20 years before he moved last year.  Several sets from milled lumber.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Redoverfarm

Pete pine is not usually a stock item.  I have only seen one set on the market.  Usually it is hardwoods by choice.  Maybe find a local craftman to fabricate a set out of pine.  Here there are several people that make cabinets.  Maybe put an add in the local trader(free) and see what comes up in the Pittsburg area. Amish or Menonite's will make about anything you need.  I know there are some in your area.

peteh2833

There are a ton of Amish by camp. That is where I get my rough cut lumber. Do you have any other suggestions on cabinets. I'm just trying to match everything. I decided to do drywall on the walls on the fist floor instead of T&G Pine. I thought with the beams, the ceiling, and the floor being all wood that the walls would be too much. I am going to do the loft ceiling in T&G Pine and the end walls in Drywall. I think it will look nice that way. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

fishing_guy

I would have to agree with you.  Sometimes all wood is a little much.  But being an ex-drywaller, I could be a bit biased....
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Redoverfarm

Pete go look at some stock cabinets.  Find a style you like and get the brochere and take it to them.  Give them the demensions and tell them what you want in the style you like.  I would have them to give you an estimate based of what you want so there are no surprises later on.  Most people would like to see for themselves and do the measurements so they can get it right.  Unless it's too far or too unconvienent that is what I would do.  

As for the drywall that is basicly what I did in my cabin in the loft.

As for the first floor the only area I had was the master bedroom and master bathroom which I did drywall with the exception of the wall (bathroom) facing the livingroom which I will put T&G on.  The rest is already decorated with logs.  ;D

bayview

Maybe build your own . . .  ;)

Are you handy with tools?  Can you build a box?  It may not be as difficult as you may think.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Beavers

Quote from: bayviewps on February 19, 2009, 07:28:29 PM

Maybe build your own . . .  ;)

Are you handy with tools?  Can you build a box?  It may not be as difficult as you may think.

That's what I'm hoping to do...

I figure if someone can manage to successfully build a house to the point that it's ready for cabinets, building the actual cabinets should be a piece of cake.  ;) ;D

jr1318

Beavers,

There is a reason there are so few cabinet makers, it is a skilled trade. Doors and drawer look a lot easier to make than they are.

Jim

Beavers

Jim,

I'm sure that building cabinets is a lot harder than it looks, and to really master the craft takes years of experience.

IMO the same could be said to an extent about all the trades used in house building. 

I'm a complete novice and I'm positive that I will not come anywhere near mastering any of the trades while I build my house.  I hope to be able to do a "good enough job" though.  If a complete novice can learn enough about concrete work, framing, roofing, plumbing, electrical, and all the other things one needs to know to build their own house, I don't see any reason one couldn't also learn enough about cabinet making to be able to make a decent set of cabinets.

peteh2833

Thanks for all of the info. Maybe I'll just send the wife out and let her pick something out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

I have built cabinets and furniture. The tolerances are much tighter when building those compared to framing a building. Drawers will fall apart with use if not well made; that goes for cheap factory cabinets as well.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

todpod

Not far from Tionesta is Kahle's Kitchens.  They do nice work I don't know how expensive they are, but they claim they can meet any budget. They built cabinet for my parents about 10 years ago out of pine they have held up nice.  They were pricey but had some higher end stuff with them to.  Tionesta Builders Supply might be another place as well.  There is a cabinet builder in Marienville as well, I will have to look up who it is,  If you don't know Marienville is at the eastern end of Forest County (that's were I live).

peteh2833

todpod, Thanks, I know where it is. I have been through Marienville many times and I also snowmobile up there. If you can find any info for me that would be great. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Lorac

Quote from: peteh2833 on February 19, 2009, 09:17:00 AM
I live near Pittsburgh Pa. Any one know a good place to get Pine Cabinets for the Kitchen at camp? I looked at Home Depot and Lowes and they have nothing in Pine. Thanks Pete

Pete,
Have you tried justcabinets.com?  I know there is a store in Penn State, but I'm not sure about Pittsburgh. I was on their site yesterday and their cabinets are all on sale.  Here is the link to their sale ad.  http://www.justcabinets.com/jc/assets/downloads/weeklyad.pdf  You can also search their site for a store that may be closer to you. 

As for their prices.  They are better than home depot and lowes.  Their cabinets are already put together:) and yes they have pine. I have been to just cabinets and have purchased furniture from them.  They seem to always have stuff on sale and when new inventory comes in they mark down the old. The store near us doesn't deliver, Scranton, PA doesn't deliver so we have to haul stuff by ourselves. 

Hopefully they can help you out. I know they stock the oak cabinets but I'm not sure about the pine but thought it would be worth a try.
Good luck.

peteh2833

Thanks for the info. I appriciate all the help. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

todpod

Here is the info the cabinets in M'Ville
Lea Craft, 137 cherry street , marienville, pa 814-221-3083

Kahle's Cabinets, 7336 RT 36, Leeper PA 814-744-9388

peteh2833

Thanks alot. I'll check it out. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

todpod

One more for you in Leeper

Heartland Kitchen, 1758 anderson Dr, Leeper, PA 814-744-8266.  If you don't know Leeper is kinda btw Tionesta and Marenville

muldoon

I'll throw another option out, RTA or ready to assemble cabinets.  You can find them online, they are ready to assembled and need to be finished or painted.  You can save a lot of money by doing the last bits of work yourself.  The shipping on them is alot les as well, still comes in way under custom cabinets and for my mom, well under the orangebox pre-fab ugly cabinets too.  Just google RTA kitchen cabinets and you'll get some ideas.  - If you can frame and roof a house you can assemble these - the hard parts have been done for you. 

Another option is to visit Ikea, they have some cheap things you can look at as well that might fit your needs. 

Bobmarlon

I would look for some cheap cabinets that have European hinges on them because they make installing doors very easy.  Then I would either make the doors myself or just get the doors custom made.  you could probably make some acceptable doors with router and a miter saw.

Shorty

When I built my house 33 years ago I was in the Poverty Level, so I built my own Kitchen Cabinets. I had more time than money, it took me almost a year to complete them. I had my brother pick up some rough sawn birch lumber in WI, took it to his school (he was an Industrial Arts teacher) and planed down the lumber for the styles and rails. I barrowed my dad's hand miter box saw, a co-workers table saw and I had a Radial Arm Saw. The doors and sides were cut from 4 X 8 birch plywood. They turned out Great and are still holding up really good after all these years. You just have to take your time and do a good job.

In my present home I got FREE used cabinets and countertops, and re-made them to fit. It was actually kinda fun. My cost? Just the nails and glue.